Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on what their tundra is worth. just left there and was cheking out what my 06 white dc with the xsp3 package is worth and what local dealers are selling them for. if i'm reading it all correctly, i could put mine in the paper for more than i paid for it! has the new 07 actually made our resale valve better?

·
Premium Member
2017 Tundra Limited CrewMax 4x4
29 Posts
Pretty cool. My '06 dc 4x4 ltd is worth 3k more than I what I purchased it for. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
holy cow you're right......did a quick look through Autotrader.com in my area. Prices now are a few grand higher than when I bought my truck 8 months ago.

I saw a few comparable XSP's going for $23,000.....i paid $20K 8 months back

·
Registered
868 Posts
I think the current pricing on the '07 will drive up our resale. I mean, if you want a Toyota truck your choices are either the overpriced '07 or a used model. Certainly can't hurt our values, although Toyota keeps rolling out the incentives on the '07's. The current invoice on an SR5 crew-max with the 4.7L (similar to my DC) is around $30,000. That's about $4,000 more than the similar 2006 I considered just a couple months ago. I realize it's an all-new truck, but lets get real here. The previous model was similar in price as the competition.

Bluebook has my 17k mile 2005 model at $27,000 for an excellent condition private party sale. Excuse me while I go searching for a FOR SALE sign......

·
Registered
122 Posts
:D:D:D:D:D
For private party value, mine's worth $2,505 more than I paid and more than double that amount over what I owe.
:tu::tu::tu::tu::tu:

·
Registered
455 Posts
The best place to look at what your truck is valued at is autotrader.com individual listings. And don't forget, people deal on those prices as well. Few pay window price for used vehicles. I'd subtract $1500 - $2000 off autotrader pricing to arrive at what you could get for yours.

Going by KBB is like going by an appraisal on your wifes wedding ring. Try to sell that ring back to the dealer, or ebay.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The best place to look at what your truck is valued at is autotrader.com individual listings. And don't forget, people deal on those prices as well. Few pay window price for used vehicles. I'd subtract $1500 - $2000 off autotrader pricing to arrive at what you could get for yours.

Going by KBB is like going by an appraisal on your wifes wedding ring. Try to sell that ring back to the dealer, or ebay.
I would agree with that on KBB retail pricing. KBB describes the retail number as "representative of dealers' asking prices and is the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer." It currently lists my Tundra at $30,665 retail.

Historically, I've found their private party values to be rather accurate, maybe a tad high. And I've bought/sold too many vehicles in the last few years....But I think their current Tundra prices are dead wrong. Eitehr way, I'm going to go with it and see if I can find a sucker, I mean buyer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well if someone wants a tundra and doesn't like the looks, size or price of the 07, what other option do they have. taking $1500 to $2000 off is darn close to 10%. most new car dealers selling used cars aren't going to simply knock 10% off. i think the dealers see the opening here as well, and are taking advantage of it. i'm hanging onto mine, mainly cause i don't like the looks and price of the 07's, and only have 3500 miles on it anyways. if the prices are high now, i don't see a reason for them to drop, except in relationship to becoming older. there not going to make a smaller tundra again, and the price on the 07's won't drop.

·
Registered
868 Posts
and the price on the 07's won't drop.
That's a big question mark, but based on the incentives out there so far I'm betting they're going to drop quite a bit. They added another $1,000 of trade incentive last week. If they seriously want to sell 200k a year (which is dumb IMHO) it will take some pretty steep discounts. I hope they don't discount them because that just makes are trucks worth more!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, I bought an '03 AC TRD 4X4 with 34K for $22,000 five weeks ago. Some in this forum said I paid too much, but I've been watching the listings since then and have seen nothing close around here. An '04 with 33K and a top was listed for $28,000 at a local dealer. Sure, it was TCUV and all, and it was gone within two days. I don't know how much they came down, but two days tells me not much. Mine was cleaner, I mean the '04 had a grill guard and stuff, I think it was more thoroughly used.
My original hope was that the '03-'05s would be available for a lot less once the '07 hit the lots, that didn't seem to be the case. I was driving past my local Ford dealer when I saw mine. I just wanted to see what they were asking for it and the next three days the wife and I kept asking ourselves if we were making a mistake not buying it. Fortunately it rained hard those three days so when I saw the sun rising on Friday morning I knew it would be gone if I didn't pull the trigger. I took some time off from work and offered $21,500. I wasn't in the greatest position to deal, there aren't many around here.:eek:

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I thought you guys all had to be wrong, but the suggested retail of my '03 2wd with the TRD Sport package, etc. came out at $19,260. I walked out the door in April of '03 paying 24,500-ish. I'm psyched! I'm definitely going to keep the thing. Other than my brakes wearing out prematurely driving in Dallas traffic, I'm happy with the truck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I thought you guys all had to be wrong, but the suggested retail of my '03 2wd with the TRD Sport package, etc. came out at $19,260. I walked out the door in April of '03 paying 24,500-ish. I'm psyched! I'm definitely going to keep the thing. Other than my brakes wearing out prematurely driving in Dallas traffic, I'm happy with the truck.
I think it is more realistic to look at the private party sale price and not the retail (dealer) price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, the private party price is great, IF you can find private party 4X4s locally. Try it around here, you won't find many.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Are you guys excited about the value 'cause you're planning on selling or trading in soon?

The retail price to anyone other than a dealer is useless. That number usually inludes the cost(s) they absorbed to refurbish the vehcile. Plus, if they certify it, that will raise the retail value as well. A smart buyer would walk into a dealer and make an offer somewhere in the fair-good trade-in range.

Although Toyota's typically hold their values fairly well, it's not unlikely to see a dealer offer you $1500-$2000 back of book (like someone mentioned earlier).

Again, a lot depends on your location and demand for the vehicle.

I'm thinking of unloading my '05 Tundra AC SR5 V-8 (41,500 mi.) w/TRD Off-Rd/LSD/Cpt.chrs./Tow pkg. I'd love to get what I owe on it, but KBB, NADA, Edmunds are merely estimates. I've yet to see someone walk into a dealer and get them to give' 'em "excellent" trade-in value. Unless of course, the dealer made up for this is some other way.

Just to give you an example, I owe roughly $21,500 on my truck; after a bit of searching around and talking to a few dealers, they claim it would be generous to offer me $17,000 for it. That amount is slightly above wholesale book. Any thoughts?? I'm in So-Cal.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
I sold my pretty nice 06 Tundra 4x4 TRD AC that had less than 15k & a practically brand new A.R.E. MX Shell back in Dec. for $23500. It took about 4 months. I had it listed on cars.com, craiglist, TS, local paper, lots etc. & had it priced at $23900 the average of all the car value places & using the current market level I was seeing in the paper/internet. This was coming into hunting and the winter season, both prime time for 4wd vehicles.

Dealers have a big advantage imo because they can take trade-ins & find financing for those with less than stellar credit. Us Private Party guys either have to know someone who knows someone who is looking (yeah I did lots of bulletin boards at work & work at a place that has a lot of employees who knew how I took care of my stuff.) But....it came down to luck & still having a current warranty on my truck (the remainder of the 3/36). It isn't as easy as slapping a sign in it and people come running with a check. I had to weed through many a looker who had eyes bigger than the credit score. I will say the guy who bought it was a breeze and knew it was a good deal which made it so smooth and worth it.

I do think the release of the 07's will help though for those not looking for the newest and baddest and biggest. Good luck to all those who test the waters and the value gods shine down on you!! :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Tell me this then.... I considered trading in my '06 A/C V6 manual SR5 due to my surgically repaired ankle starting to act up (as some of you may know)... It has bed liner, premium audio, c3 hitch, power everything, fog lights, keyless, and kbbs at 20-21 with the 4500 miles I have on it. Dealer sells for 22-22.8. So I talk trade in at the local Toyo stealership and the guy says 14K. WTF is that?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Tell me this then.... I considered trading in my '06 A/C V6 manual SR5 due to my surgically repaired ankle starting to act up (as some of you may know)... It has bed liner, premium audio, c3 hitch, power everything, fog lights, keyless, and kbbs at 20-21 with the 4500 miles I have on it. Dealer sells for 22-22.8. So I talk trade in at the local Toyo stealership and the guy says 14K. WTF is that?
Like I said, these guides are merely estimates when it comes to "trade-in" values. We get our hopes up thinking we can get what's published, only to be bashed by the dealer's crummy offer.

PPV seem to be a bit more accurate, but if you don't want to sell yourself (I know I don't), then you have to be ready to grind with the used car manager.

I feel your pain.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts