Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not talking about a little jagoff trailer with one dirtbike on it. I mean at least a 6x10 enclosed cargo trailer with 1,500-2,000 lbs in it.

I purchased a 2007 Tundra 4x4 and I hate the crap out of it. :mad:

That thing soaks gas like a sponge and it just a big, soft, butt-ugly piece of dung. (Don't believe the liars on the Tundra forum making claims of 20 MPG with their stupid looking Tundras. I can't even stand to look at mine anymore.

I've talked to my dealer about trading it back in for a 2007 Taco 4x4 with the v6, towing pkg, 6 spd manual, TRD off road pkg. It has a sticker of $28,300.

Anyways, I'd like opinions on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
ummm.... do you have the 07 tundra or the 06 ? cause your info up top reads 06. just like to clarify which piece of junk your talking about.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yotoya,

You might find this head-to-head between the Tacoma and the Frontier to be of interest. They put them through a 5000 lb towing test.

2005 Tough Truck Shootout

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have a 6'4" X 16' tandem axle trailer that I pull my Syzuki Samaurai with. About 4000-4500lbs. Pulls it no problem. Gas mileage goes a little bit, as expected. Do not tow in overdrive, for those with Auto Trans.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wow you hate that thing, what model exactly did you get? Not sure what you expected when you buy a big truck like that. Big takes power.

Anyway, I've got the 6spd. 1st is nice and low for towing. Pulled my snowmobile trailer a few thousand miles. No problems, its light. Most I've done is 4500 lb trailer with another 1000 in the bed. It was alot for her but mainly cause it was on tight, steep, hilly roads. She didnt mind the flats.

Mileage w/ the 6spd is actually one less than the auto, but if your not in city traffic, or 75 on the interstate all time you'll get the same mpg. I get what the sticker says.

My guess towing your trailer with that load 35-4500 total?, expect 13 mpg, Probably what you get w/ a Tundra.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I do quite a bit of towing. SO much that I follow the severe service schedule guidelines for maintenance. I routinely have a 8x12 enclosed hooked up or my tandem axle open 8x17 trailer for car haulin. The enclosed has all kinds of tools and crap in it. Weighs in around 3000# and when loaded the car trailer will have 5000# on it. Yeah the gas mileage sucks with that enclosed parachute hanging off back but that is expected. Actually I much prefer haulin' a car around with the other trailer. It rides way better. I get 12-13 with the car trailer loaded no overdrive. Enclosed more like 10mpg. Head wind and towing enclosed, fugget it :td: .. Actually thats why I bought mine over the Tundra. A family member has a Tundra and it's great but mine will pull my trailers and his just fine. My Tacoma looks better doin' it :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Now I did see the new Tundras on the lot today as I drove by. They look like Tonka trucks on a Barry Bonds steroid cocktail. Hmmmmm. Better check my wallet-- yep just as I thought, nothing there.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I tow a 17' trailer with an RX7 racecar...

17' trailer, with an RX7 racecar.

truck bed usually has a 10x10 EZ-UP, 4 spare wheels/tires, tool box, 2 gas jugs, etc.

No problems at all. I have a lift on the truck too, running 285/75 R16 tires. Plenty of power, but am not impressed with the brakes. I am currently upgrading to SS lines and better front pads with new fluid.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I tow an 67 FJ40 on an 18 foot Carson extra wide trailer. The trailer, cruiser and gear are close to 6,000 lbs. I can easily maintain 60 in 4th (6 speed) all the way to Tahoe (Rubicon). If i get stuck behind a slow Semi, I can usually pass with a down shift to 3rd and not slow down the entire free way. It obviously isn't going to tow 6,000 lbs like a Tundra with the 5.7 liter V8. I do think it tows my FJ40 better than my step dads 03 Chevy Tahoe with the 5.3 liter V8 did. It will tow anything you put behind well all the way to it's weight limits.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased a 2007 Tundra 4x4 and I hate the crap out of it. :mad:

That thing soaks gas like a sponge and it just a big, soft, butt-ugly piece of dung. (Don't believe the liars on the Tundra forum making claims of 20 MPG with their stupid looking Tundras. I can't even stand to look at mine anymore.
Which engine? What was your actual mpgs towing and non towing? I'm thinking of buying one but I have test drove two Tundras so far and was not happy with the fuel mileage and the soft ride. Can you detail yours experiences(opinions)? thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was towed this to Pismo this weekend. Not super heavy but the windshield was like a sail. I took it off for the ride home and it helped a lot. Had to drop to 4th on a couple big hills but still took em at 60. Stayed in 6th at 70 most of the way. Had 4 ppl in the cab and a TRX in the bed. Got around 11-11.5 mpg both ways.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18216&stc=1&d=1175706724http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18216&stc=1&d=1175706724

Attachments

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
i had a trailer full of furniture and the bed was also filled with furniture. MPG did suck. I think I got close to 13 mpg
I got the same with the biggest uhaul trailer, tools, books, clothes, computer stuff, bikes, etc. I didnt mind the gas mileage, 13 isnt bad compared to what you would get with a fat Ford or a Tundra with or without a load. Friend was getting 6mpg with his Ford, empty...

The only problem I had were the frakking idiots in North Carolina (thought there were enough of them in New Mexico) that cut in front of you. Hello, I'm towing a trailer, thus the reason why I'm putting a little gap between me and the car in front of me... It would be nice to have a video camera so if you ever rear end the retards you could use it as evidence.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I just brought back a Volkswagen GTI on a tandom axel trailer... (300miles) and I averaged 10mpg... Remember that I'm running 35's with stock gearing... Truck pulled it great... might have been able to get a little better gas mileage if I wasn't going 70-80 the whole time too though..haha.. The V6 Tacoma's will pull just about anything you'd like if that answers your question.. I've pulled alot heavier loads in the past and the truck does very well...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my 05 DC mainly for occasionally towing a 24', 4500# travel trailer. On flat roads in Florida, the best I get is 13.5 in 4th gear, 60 MPH, regular gas. In OD, mileage drops to 12. In Georgia hills, it drops to 10-11. No experience in mountains yet.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. I hated my 07 Tundra. My tacoma pulls my buggy fine. My Tundra was better, but it was just to big for everyday. Plus all of the problems i had with mine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I tow a 26"rockwood travel trailer 5300lbs no problem, fuel isn"t bad aroud 80-90 km/h but gets thursty when traveling at 110-120.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts