Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 DC, and for the third time my driver's side wiper came loose. All three times was because of just a little snow I was trying to brush aside. The first time it happened I called the dealer and he just said to just tighten the bolt where it attaches (pretty easy and obvious), and all was well until it snowed again. By the third time, i just took it in and they torqued it to spec and put some loc-tight in there. Since it's getting warm i doubt i'll have any problems until the next snow. Just wondering what's the problem here, is this another shortcut Toyota took with these trucks? Has anybody else had this happen??
BTW, how can I tell if my truck is equipped with the heated wiper element?

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
Yours is the first compliant that I have seen anywhere about wipers coming loose.
If you have heated mirrors, then you have the wiper heater built into the bottom of the windshield. It turns on with the mirror heat but is not really easy to notice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The service guy at the dealership told me they have this problem all the time. So basically if you have the heated mirrors, you have the heated wiper element?

·
Registered
16 Posts
all brands have the same prob. wiper stud is metal and arms usually are not. when the aluminum or pot metal grooves in the arm strip the best fix is to replace the arm. if it happens again pay attention to the grooves on the post and arm closely.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Not had it on my truck, but have on other vehicles. Proper torquing and Loc-tite (blue) is your answer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem on my 08 crewmax the driver side wiper was the only one that slipped. Like you said i tightened it up and it did not slip anymore. It does seem strage though that this would happen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the mechanic who tightened it said there were no grooves at all, almost like it was totally stripped. this is not possible though because i never gave it a chance to strip out. i'm thinking its another flawed design.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Flawed design? How? Flawed EXECUTION maybe, but that design is on a billion vehicles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flawed design? How? Flawed EXECUTION maybe, but that design is on a billion vehicles.
No...re-read my post. THERE ARE NO GROOVES THERE. The design with grooves so they "lock" is the one on a billion vehicles, it sounds like Toyota took another shortcut and found a cheaper way to do it

·
Registered
500 Posts
The service guy at the dealership told me they have this problem all the time. So basically if you have the heated mirrors, you have the heated wiper element?
If you have the wiper elements, they are located where the wipers rest and can be seen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts