Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking them up tomorrow. The fiance damaged both tail lights while I was gone and mistakenly thinks these things will protect them from being damaged in low speed bumps again so she was bugging me to get them. Had them with a matching bull bar on my old truck so I'm throwing a set on the Tundra too since I like the look and am bigger on stuff like that now than different color tail lights or covers.

She was strongly encouraging them so it's a good excuse to do one of the few inexpensive mods I'm interested in even with wedding expenses coming up. There will eventually be a low profile matching light bar up front with two-four 6 inch lights on it. (Somehow I will convince her that this will be useful and functional too.) Not interested in a bull bar setup as I'd rather not make this truck any longer than it is.

Any pics of other Gen2s with bolt on tail light guards? Mine are black powedercoated units from steelcraft, to match the black steps. I know alot of people dislike them, feel free to chime in and say you think they're ugly if you wish. I welcome all input, but they'll be on tomorrow. I'll post pics. The other exterior mods will be the lights and light bar and some decent all-terrains when these crappy street tires wear out. Some sort of black wheel is also a possibility. Then the finishing touch will be a Corsa Sport when I have real money to play with.

This is an all black 09 Crewmax. I went crazy with the last one, just turned into alot more work and alot of things I didn't bother taking back off come trade-in time. Trying to keep it somewhat low key this time around.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
To be honest with you I didn't even know that they made them.:eek:
I looked at the Steelcraft site to see what they were. I'm not so sure that they would take much of a hit, but probably better than nothing.:cool:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I thi nk they're good for the average branch that happens to be floating around the truck.

With that said, her head is in the right place... and she's trying to show she's sorry for damaging your truck.

Can't wait to see pics.

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I don't know that these guards do much of anything except add to the truck's looks. They may protect them from the occasional small bump while carrying things from a hardware store, but I'd bet that even a 5mph backup into a post or wall would smash them and your tail lights. Just something to think about...

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
they wont do anything to protect the light...as stated...and as you even already know since u say she "mistakenly" thinks they will protect the lights. so thats not the issue.

i personally like them...i had thought about them a while back and several people on here barf'd on their keyboards i think...but i still like them. i have yet to see one in person..not sure how the fit is going to be..usually the pics online are only of the more flattering angles and you dont get the real world perspective of exactly how they fit...post up lots of pics when u get them so we can all see.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/customprofilepics/profilepic14020_3.gif

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/customprofilepics/profilepic14020_4.gif

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/customprofilepics/profilepic14020_5.gif

Pardon the bootleg ghetto license plate photo shop in the last pic. All I got to work with.

I am happy with them. Fit is good, they follow the lines of the tail light pretty well. On some other cheap ones I've seen on other trucks there's a stick-on rubber bump-stop that goes on the outside edge of the guard that doesn't secure to the tail light screws to prevent it from bumping paint. But the bump stop could still bump the paint. Here there's actually a small bracket that sticks out from between the tail light and the sheetmetal on the bed side to brace the guard in place and keep it from moving.

Took awhile to get them adjusted just right so they don't hack away at the paint on the edges of the tail gate when I open and close it. But I'm happy with the look and think they complement the black truck well. They should go well with whatever low profile black light bar goes on the front. 125$ from my local accessory shop.

I think it would compliment one of these light bars with about 4 6 inchers quite well.
http://www.teakatrucks.com/v/vspfiles/photos/NFB-C063LB-2T.jpg
I am torn between this and the bull bar. I like the look of the bull bar but this is lower profile and seems to do the job without adding as much length to the front end. OTOH just from my experience with a dinky little Westin Safari bar on my Dakota I know even though these things aren't heavy duty they actually hold up decently in low speed fender benders so I like the protection factor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts