Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Anyone else starting to look at trading Tundras for F150's??

32K views 168 replies 64 participants last post by  masterdiagnostictech 
#1 ·
I'm looking into how the AIP issue will be handled under the Certified Used warranty that I have on my '07 5.7 DC (or wont be handled as the case may be). I have been giving the F150's a serious look even though I had a mid 90's Ford Exploder engine die on me while on a road trip. If they've turned their stuff around I am giving them very serious consideration.

I drove a 2010 Super Crew 5.4L with the 6spd the other day, and the power was absolutely underwhelming. The mileage on the mountain roads and on the highway that I took it on was staggeringly better than the Tundras though - much much moreso than I was expecting from only a 0.3L difference. The handling and the steering precision of the F150 was worlds beyond that of a Tundra too. Firm, planted, tight. Being able to get the long bed with the full 4 door is a real nice feature too that Toyota shorted on.

Of course, the price difference is impossible to ignore too. I find myself questioning what exactly makes the Tundra worth that much more if they aren't really all that reliable.

Anyone jumped to one of the new F150's or looked into it seriously? Anyone jumped TO a Tundra from an '09 or '10 F150 and why?

#2 ·
Hey man. At the end of the day, it's really up to you. If the latest 1/2-ton F-series tickles your fancy go for it. Your asking your stuff on a Tundra forum. We have four hundred and one bleeding pound feet of torque that pulls over ten thousand pounds with ease. Ford claims they can pull over 11k in their smallest form...every 1/2-ton F-series owner I've talked to fears pulling over 8k and these are loyal Ford owners.

Personally, I would go with the new 3/4-ton+ Fords if I were you. God bless and good luck.

#3 ·
I just bought my 2010 CrewMax. I looked around at all the new trucks. Even though I know FORD has been stepping up there quality, but I couldn't get past the looks of the truck. I just don't like the F-150, the SuperDutys are pretty nice though. Good luck. I am sticking with my CrewMax till it falls to pieces. I hope that is awhile from now!!!

#4 ·
I like the older F150s better than the new ones (any year really).

Good trucks nonetheless. There have been two people that have switched over and REALLY like their F150s. I've also read a few posts that are the opposite.

You just about have the same chances of getting a bad truck from Toyota as you do Ford and Chevrolet.

-rockstate

#5 ·
Negative. No, I"m not considering giving up a powertrain that gives me wood for one that makes me snore over a repair expense that I haven't been hit with yet, and may never even have to deal with.

Don't get me wrong, I HAVE drawn that line before. But I'd rather play the odds and make the call when I'm faced with spending that kind of money, than spend 30-35K on a new truck out of fear of a 5K repair.

#7 ·
I drove a 2010 Super Crew 5.4L with the 6spd the other day, and the power was absolutely underwhelming. The mileage on the mountain roads and on the highway that I took it on was staggeringly better than the Tundras though - much much moreso than I was expecting from only a 0.3L difference..
You were able to accurately calculate fuel economy? Must have been quite a drive.;)

#9 ·
Ummm....NO!, Zero mechanical issues with my Tundra. Had to replace a leaky battery (caught b4 any damage was done), and have a tpms reset, if that counts. Don't like the looks of the new Fords, but mostly can't tolerate their gutless powertrains. Let me give you an example. I was towing my 20 ft Sea Ray boat from Montana to Washington. Have to climb some pretty good grades on the interstate mountain passes. I was doing about 70 mph. I figure I'm towing about 5500 lbs. A newer Ford, towing a utility trailer with 2 ATV's on it, go's flying by me doing about 80. I would guess he's towing about half of my load. Then we hit a pass. I continue to hold 70 mph effortlessly as I blow by the Ford struggling to maintain 60 about halfway up the pass. He catches me later on the flats and I embarrass him again on the next pass. It looked to be a well equipped F150 so I'm guessing it had the 5.4 in it. Until they put some heart in the Fords, I wouldn't consider one.

#10 ·
nope...

#11 ·
no....

#12 ·
I have a new F-150 for a work truck and there it has nothing on the Tundra at all. If you are going by the on board computer for mpg, I can tell you that the F-150 I drive reads 2 to 3 mpg better than the actual calculate mpg. From my experience, the F-150 gas mileage is less than the Tundra. I am comparing similar 4x4 models with the exact same tires and size. The Ford came from the factory with very narrow street tires and when a 275/65R18 10-ply was put on, the gas went down a lot. The Ford has the 5.4L with the new 6-speed and it is gutless and the downshifting is horrible. I have been a Ford man my entire life until the '07 Tundra.

#14 ·
I disagree 100% that you think the f150 handles better... I have a tundra and was the lucky guy to take a new f150 to a 3 day training class on the other side of boston (2hrs away) I drove to and from every day because its company policy not to take your own car on company time,, and by the end i was sooo happy to give that pos back... they handle like crap.. try doing 70 and coming across a long bridge with the rumble strips when turning,, the thing feels like its going to come around,, I have driven my tundra the same route and it never acted like that,, I told my boss,, I dont care what policy is, i wont be using rental to go to training anymore....

I would rent one from enterprise for a week before switching if I was you.. may cost you a big headache in the end...

oh and I am a ford fan,, i have had 8 mustangs 86-93, 2 capri's 84 and 86 (still have 1), 1 Lincoln town car and 2 ford trucks f250 and f150...

#15 ·
I love the new diesel super duty's but they are huge money,,

#16 ·
I'm sticking with what I have.

#17 ·
The amount of money you would lose by trading a vehicle would pay for the AIP if it ever happened anyway. I reckon it's more of a new truck itch and you are looking to justify it to yourself. It's your money. Lots of people like F150's.

#19 ·
The amount of money you would lose by trading a vehicle would pay for the AIP if it ever happened anyway. I reckon it's more of a new truck itch and you are looking to justify it to yourself. It's your money. Lots of people like F150's.
Yep you're probably right

#20 ·
Not a Tundra owner yet but hope to be one. I wouldn't buy a 150 to save my life. Today while sitting at Publix (shopping store), I was next to a '10 DC 5.7 4x4 and when he started it up it sounded like a truck should be. I couldn't stop looking at even when he was driving away.

#23 ·
I'm looking into how the AIP issue will be handled under the Certified Used warranty that I have on my '07 5.7 DC (or wont be handled as the case may be). I have been giving the F150's a serious look even though I had a mid 90's Ford Exploder engine die on me while on a road trip. If they've turned their stuff around I am giving them very serious consideration.
lolololz. :abduction::birthday::bwaaaaaht::histthefan: At the end of the day.

#24 ·
Nominated for the most ignorant thread of the year!!!

"The mileage on the mountain roads and on the highway that I took it on was staggeringly better than the Tundras though - much much moreso than I was expecting from only a 0.3L difference."

Absolute bull feces. EVERY major test has the vehicles nearly even in MPG on their loop. The Ford may have a SLIGHT advantage when empty but once working or pulling a load, any MPG advantage would vanish.

"The handling and the steering precision of the F150 was worlds beyond that of a Tundra too. Firm, planted, tight."

100% subjective opinion and one that may have been affected by comparing a brand new truck with a used 3 year old truck.......gimme a break.

"Being able to get the long bed with the full 4 door is a real nice feature too that Toyota shorted on."

It's not a "long" bed.....it's a 6' 6" bed..........less than a foot difference. BFD.

"Of course, the price difference is impossible to ignore too. "

OK, I'll bite. How much of a price difference are we talking about. Please give us some examples of similarly equipped trucks.

"I find myself questioning what exactly makes the Tundra worth that much more if they aren't really all that reliable."

This one had me laughing hysterically!!!.

The OP reads about AIP issues on the internet........COOL!!! Yet he somehow forgets about Ford's cam phasers, spark plugs sticking, injectors leaking......should I go on??

As a Ford guy at heart, until they (Ford) matches or comes close to the Toy's drivetrain, there is no reason to even look at a Ford........Unless you like cool gadgets.

#25 ·
I love the new diesel super duty's but they are huge money,,

Quite possibly the most hideous looking vehicle on the road........it's like a designer said," How many lines/angles can we fit into one oversized grill?"

That being said, I can't wait to drive the 400HP 735# torque diesel........and I'm a diesel hater.

#26 ·
Please, go on actually. I've been trying to find out what kinds of showstopping issues the Ford's have, and what is and is not covered under their warranty. Details please. My limited search through the F150 forums didn't turn up much for the '09-'10 generations.

As for finding a similarly spec'd truck, that's actually pretty f'ing hard to do given Fords terrible website and trim naming. There's a few I've come across with their bigger V8, 6spd tranny, similar power options, interior features, towing options, blah blah blah, and there's definitely a significant difference in price. Enough to where I could probably be breaking close to even.

Believe me I don't want to justify a change. I'm loving just about everything about my Tundra except the piss poor mileage and the potential for this one major problem that doesn't even seem to have a real fix and potentially won't be under the warranty. Anything I noted by itself isn't enough to make a change.

As for the mileage on the test drive, I assume that these mileage calculators are all flawed, but they should at least be consistent. My observation was that the mileage drop on the F150 from the highway up to the same mountain roads I drive my Tundra on was FAR less than the mpg drop in my Tundra (it actually was quite a drive - I think I had the poor salesman kid legitimately scared on the twisty cliffside roads). As soon as there is any kind of incline at all, I can expect the mpg to get cut in half basically, including minor grades on the freeway that don't even require the truck to shift out of 6th.

As for the steering, I've driven brand new Tundras, used Tundras, a couple of the new F150's, and used F150's. The F150's have a tighter feel at the steering wheel both new and used, but nothing comes close to my 1st-gen Tundra with the firmer steering rack bushings. That was perfect. I've been looking high and low for a bushing kit for the '07 Tundra to get that same feel, but have come up with nothing. The suspension handling on the 2010 F150's is dramatically different than the '09 F150's too from what I have noticed.

By "long bed" I meant the 6.5' bed instead of the 5.5'. Can't get a 6.5' bed with a Crewmax, which is an option I would have liked to have. If I keep the Tundra, I will for sure be drilling/tapping holes in the bed to install one of those Ford folding bed extenders - those things are just badass and there's no denying it.

Again, don't WANT to get rid of my Tundra, at all, but gotta consider other options if this thing is just a ticking time bomb. I was looking for unbiased opinions of each (I know that is asking a lot on a Tundra forum, or any other forum for that matter).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.