Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently drive an '06 TRD Sport 4x4 Tacoma, coming from several previous Dodge's.

In brief, I love the way the Taco rides & drives. It's my daily driver and gets some use around the farm, but driving to work every day and taking a lot of highway trips it's a great vehicle. I just would like more power and more room, because I come from many years of full size trucks and V8's or diesel, so the Tacoma falls short for me there.

So my question:
How does the Tundra ride compared to the Tacoma? I do a lot of 600 mile interstate trips, so how does she do long distance?
How about around town, do you feel every bump like most fullsize trucks? Does it corner well for a pickup?

The Tacoma doesn't ride like a truck to me really, it rides really nice and I'm curious after driving it for a while how Taco converts feel about it in comparison.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I myself is in that same boat too. I previously had a 2000 Tundra Access Cab V8 TRD 4x4, and I really do miss the V8 torque. I could only imagine what the new 5.7 V8 beast could really destroy. The V6 is perfect for the size of the tacoma. I pray and hope soon Toyota would put the 5.7 V8 in the Tacoma:D. But, I understand the tacoma and tundra have different purpose.

I love my 05 Tacoma too much, and I special ordered exactly to my desire. Heck, a lot of strangers thinks it's the new Tundra:D. I know all it takes is a test drive in them new Tundra, and I'm on to the darker side. Soo I avoid all eye contact with them Tundras when I pass a toyota dealership:D.

Realm, why don't you go test drive one and see what you think? Compare to my 2000 Tundra, my 05 Tacoma rides more like a truck in comparison. Just remember them new tundra are big, soo it will feel/ride/handle like a big truck compare to our mid-size tacomas. I know I want more room and power, so I'm saving myself for them later "diesel" Tundra Crew Max.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I did. Had an 06' 2.7L, AC, 5 spd, SR5 prerunner. Good little truck. Took several trips from Houston to NC. Averaged 24 mpg on the highway and 20 mpg city. It was a little small inside for me. My left leg rubbed on the drivers door and the backseat area was pitiful for cargo. Otherwise I really liked the truck. Now I have an 07' DC, 4x2, 5.7L, 6 disc CD, bucket seats, and night mirror upgrade. I freaking love this new tundra. It is a tuna boat to drive by comparison (not as bad a the F250 I had) but the ride improvement, power, ride height, and creature comforts are awesome. I do feel like I am driving a Lexus. It is quiet, smooth, and draws lots of looks. I do not miss my Taco except when it's time to break out the hose and wash it. LOL. Go test drive one. You will be amazed at the room and power this beast has. I have 1300 miles and have experienced none of the rattles, misaligned parts, or troubles some of the others have. PM me if you want any other specific information. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
As you see in my garage list, I still have a 2005 Tacoma and my new Tundra. Both have the TRD off-road package and they ride very similar. The Tundra has less wind noise and less road noise than the Tacoma (Both still on the factory BFG Rugged Trail tires). I find over washboards and jittery roads the Tundra doesn't "bounce" around as much probably because it's heavier. The torque of the 5.7 is :eek: over the 4.0 in the Tacoma :cool: The 4.0 however, so far is consistantly getting 4-5 MPG better than my Tundra. I'm only averaging 14.3 MPG with the 5.7 (50/50 city/highway), I'm looking forward to it improving once everything breaks in.

·
Registered
848 Posts
i am probally not much help but i went from a 03 tacoma prerunner to the tundra to me the tundra has a better ride and the power is awesome ... the transmission shifts perfectly .. a awesome upgrade from my tacoma ...too bad it uses so much gas though but that will change because i am going to use my civic as a daily driver and keep my truck for towing my boat

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had an 05 Tacoma TRD off road 4x4 with the 6 speed. My new Tundra rides a lot smoother and I love all the extra space. I drive 120 miles a day and its a nice comfortable ride. I like to push the limits on the cornering to pass the other guys and it holds up great on the 20".
It was a good switch but I'm not as willing to beat it up like I was the Tacoma!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I traded in my 05 Taco for a 06 Tundra DCab....I think the ride is a lot better compared to the Taco...more power too :) Handle good around turns for a truck...keep your lead foot off the pedal and gas mileage isn't too bad

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had an 06 Xrunner it was the **** but I love my tundra get the TUNDRA!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Went from a 06 Taco X-runner TRD w/ 4.0 V6 to a 07 Tundra 5.7 DC TRD. I loved my Taco but when I got the new boat I needed stopping power and the Disc/Drum set up on the Taco was questionable. My Tundra is the Shiznit. I thought my Taco had comfortable seats(leather) but I was wrong. The Tundra seats are better and my wife was the first to say something on a trip to the Keys. Gas milage is getting better all the time and if you put an egg under the pedal it real good.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I kept my 2005 nissan Xterra because it fits in the garage. You've had fullsizes before, as have I, but this tundra longbox is 6" longer than my last F250. I could squeeze my ford in the garage if I had to, but the Tundra will require a moving of cabinets and such. It's living outdoors anyhow- but I'm glad I kept a sensible 6 cyl for all the times when I need 3 or 4 mpg more and easy parking.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Went from 2004 4x4 TRD Xtra cab 3.4L V6 Taco with an added hidden hitch to the 2007 DC 5.7 4x4 TRD.

I miss my Taco, but I LOVE my tundy.

the taco was a bit more agile and was great for offroading on the farm, because it was light and narrower, I could do more acrobatics with it. I went up to the tundy for the tow cap and power for farm work. It rides smoother on the interstate, is still very nimble, but due to the weight, I'm not as confident with catching air on the terraced pastures and hay fields on the farm. I should be recieveing my SAW coilovers in a couple weeks, I have my TC Upper Control Arms, and an add-a-leaf...all of this to increase travel and suspension capability while keeping tow cap for off and on-road hauling. The Tundra's TRD suspension is as plush as the taco's when flattening out after a grade, and cresting steap slopes...we'll see about how it handles air when I get the coilovers and everything else on.

I know I had an '04, but I hope this helps. I think that the weight is the biggest difference for offroading, but it makes the ride better on road.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went from a 06 tacoma dbl cab trd 4x4, to a 07 tundra dbl cab 5.7L limited 4x4, The Tundra beats the tacoma in absolutely every aspect. I drive off road alot. my tacoma was falling apart a month after I got it, it is by no means built for any kind of hard use. The Tundra seems to be built far better

·
Registered
55 Posts
06-Taco-Access Cab, 2.7 m, pre-runner , 4x2.
to an:
07-TRD-DC-4.7. 4x2.

I gotta tell ya, the TUNDRA is great, but sometimes I miss my Taco. The Taco drove like a champ (SOLID) everyday vehicle. Took my Taco to San Antonio 1 weekend from Houston and realized it was not a long hauler. Got the Tundy and drove it to Dallas from Houston, (Highway HOG) and passed cars with ease.( Smooth as silk). In a few years I will look for the same config on a used taco, and purchase it for everyday driving.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I did. Had an 06' 2.7L, AC, 5 spd, SR5 prerunner. Good little truck. Took several trips from Houston to NC. Averaged 24 mpg on the highway and 20 mpg city. It was a little small inside for me. My left leg rubbed on the drivers door and the backseat area was pitiful for cargo. Otherwise I really liked the truck. Now I have an 07' DC, 4x2, 5.7L, 6 disc CD, bucket seats, and night mirror upgrade. I freaking love this new tundra. It is a tuna boat to drive by comparison (not as bad a the F250 I had) but the ride improvement, power, ride height, and creature comforts are awesome. I do feel like I am driving a Lexus. It is quiet, smooth, and draws lots of looks. I do not miss my Taco except when it's time to break out the hose and wash it. LOL. Go test drive one. You will be amazed at the room and power this beast has. I have 1300 miles and have experienced none of the rattles, misaligned parts, or troubles some of the others have. PM me if you want any other specific information. Good luck and enjoy!
I agree with him 100%. I had a 06 4 cyl Access Cab Taco 4x4 5 spd. I didnt get the mileage of a 4 cylinder because I was always beatin on it to keep up with people on the highway. I totalled it unfortunately and looked at a 6cyl with the 6 speed but there still wasnt enough room in the access cab and the double cab is hideous imo. The price of a brand new taco was the same price I got my Tundra for and im getting about the same in gas mileage. I love my Tundra, rides like a car, works like a truck. Also I was more comfortable in the Tundra on roadtrips then in the taco. Best of luck to ya.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had an '05 4.0 trd sport access cab that I traded. Main reason I did is because there simply wasn't enough room for me in the cab. I am 6'3" and felt cramped all the time. So as far as the room goes I love it in the Tundra. I have also ridden in the back seats(have the double cab) and there is more than enough room for me. I've also taken it on a couple of long road trips and couldn't be happier. The thing rides awesome and also rides great around town. Trust me when I say if, or should I say when, you trade for it you'll never look back. They're great trucks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Went from a 2002 access cab 3.4L V6 SR5 5-Speed Taco to a 2007 5.7L DC TRD SR5 Tundra. No comparison. Taco was good on gas, sporty 'cause of the 5 speed and looked good bud drove kind of stiff & cab room was cramped. Tundra rides good around town mileage is OK if I keep my foot out of it. Bucket seats fell like you are in a Barcalounger on a long trip.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, my taco is old 96 but I love that truck. Never failed me and still goes and goes. My daughter is now driving it. My new 5.7 Tundra however has spoiled me for anything smaller. I was once thinking of buying a new Tacoma but when I saw that the V6 was rated at 23 mpg and the 5.7 was 18 I figured go with the big guy. If I drove lots of miles every day then that would have changed but the power and room of the tundra is awesome. I get 16 mpg in the city, driving moderately but when I get on it it flies. If you don't need every sing mpg then get the tundra. It rides great except on certain concrete sections of certain highways. Otherwise I have no complaints.........Tony

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a 2006 Tacoma 4 x 4 and went to an 07 Tundra Crewmax 4 x 4 with the 5.7 engine. We just took it from Va Beach to Camp Lajeune last week and got 18.5 mpg on it and a smooth and roomy ride. We passed up taking either of the two 07 Camrys we own on the trip. I wanted the comfort rather than the better mpg. The taco is nice but the crewmax is alot better.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a 2005 4.0 crew cab Tacoma, 4X4. I loved my Tacoma, but there is no comparison to the ride, room, comfort, power of the Tundra. I had to move up due to my 14 year old being as tall as me, 6'0. I have a family of 4, and we could not go in the Tacoma in comfort. Unfortunately I could not afford the 4X4 Tundra, and had to settle for a 2wd crew max.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts