Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2002 5spd 4x4 access cab with 13,000 miles and the clutch pedal has started to make noise. Not really a squeak, more of a lower pitched creaking noise. Happens when I push the clutch in, but more when I let it out.
Anyone else have this problem? Any TSB's out on this problem?
Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
106 Posts
YES

My 2000 regular cab longbed with 31,000 does it. I have no idea how long it's been going on, I just noticed it Monday.

I guess it was the first time I engaged the clutch with out the radio cranked.

lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
I only have 7000 miles on mine, it's makes the noise more when I let off slowly. I was going to put some white lithium on the joints but have been too lasy. I don't think wd40 will last for a long time.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Do a search, quite a while ago someone posted about replacing a very small plastic bushing on the clutch pedal that couldn't be fixed with just grease, it needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I finaly took a look under the dash last night. There are three places where the return spring contacts the clutch assembly, all three had a white plastic bushing. From the factory, there is some light grease on them (looks like petrolium jelly). there is also the linkage that is attached to the clutch master cylinder. The three spring contact points aren't missing (on mine) but the spring itself seems to grown when it begins and ends it's cycle. This is more pronounced when going slowly, which leads me to believe that the grease isn't stoping the spring from binding where it contacts the pedal arm. I put some 30 weight oil on it, but that didn't eliminate the noise. The shaft that goes to the m.c. makes some noise too, but the main problem is still the spring, where it rides on the pedal arm. So after all this I don't have a remedy for you, sorry, but now you know what doesn't work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took my 2001 to the dealer at 34,000 and they just lubed it. They told me that was all it needed. After 50 miles, creaking came right back.

Not only can I hear it creaking, I can also feel the roughness as you press in/ release the clutch.

I'm gonna take it back to the dealer again. Hope there's a TSB on it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
... I've had this problem for a long time. It's not the pedal bushing. I took mine to the dealer 3 times on this, 3rd time before end of warranty. Gave me the old "didn't hear it" routine. Mine is somewhere inside the transfer case and will surely not be pleasant to get to. I think that's why the dealer has been blowing it off. I've owned sticks all my life and a 12 year old pathfinder with 150K miles. I've never had a clutch sound or feel like this. Quite embarassing to pull up next to a new RAM and have the friggin clutch creak...it's really quite loud and can be felt in the pedal. I'm more concerned about undue wear on metal parts than the noise actually bothering me. I can turn up the radio..but the wear factor is a concern. Gonna try the dealer again since it creaks ALL THE TIME now...was intermittent before. Is it only 4x4's having this prob??? any 4x2's squeaking too ??

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey I wrote a post on the same issue some time ago. Well I never bothered to fix it, but it's gone now. :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
My old Tacoma did the same thing, it would only do it when it was warm out but once it droped below 50 it would stop??? I tried lots of stuff, I covered everything in grease numerous times and that helped for about 2 days. Well anyways at about 90,000 miles the master cylinder started leaking. So I went to a junkyard and got a used one off an 84 4x4, I know I couldn't believe they were the same, and it still was holding fluid and it worked fine, amazing!! Well the only difference I could tell between them was the old one was made out of cast Iron while the new Tacoma one was made out of aluminum and the fluid line was positioned differently. Well anyways I slapped that baby in and never did it again. It wasn't creaky at all and the pedal felt so much smoother. Crazy I know, we'll have to start using old Toyota parts instead of buying new cause they must be higher quality. LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you Chuff: your "creaky clutch" description sounds just like mine. It's an '08 2wd tacoma and i noticed the noise the first time the temp. got above 50 and the truck was good and warmed up. Been to the dealer three times: same story, they don't hear anything. I had this problem years ago with an old ford and it was the nylon bushing under the spring hook. In this case I think you are right; it sounds like it is coming more from the clutch mc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.