Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing my homework to figure out the best lift for the $$ and the Bilstein 5100's seem a pretty good bet. I haven't however heard anyone talk about using them offroad. I understand the coil-overs would be better, non-Bilstein brands required for DCs it seems, but they are considerably more $$.
I'll probably try to call ORW or one of those places to get their opinion but wondered if anyone here has actually gone off road with the 5100's yet?

I don't do a lot of off roading but do get back to some remote trailheads that would REALLY suck to break down on.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
I'm doing my homework to figure out the best lift for the $$ and the Bilstein 5100's seem a pretty good bet. I haven't however heard anyone talk about using them offroad. I understand the coil-overs would be better, non-Bilstein brands required for DCs it seems, but they are considerably more $$.
I'll probably try to call ORW or one of those places to get their opinion but wondered if anyone here has actually gone off road with the 5100's yet?

I don't do a lot of off roading but do get back to some remote trailheads that would REALLY suck to break down on.

Thanks!
I've had mine on the "bunny trails" but nothing hard core. No problems (knock on wood).

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
I have 5100's on the rear of my truck and haven't had any issues off-road or towing with them.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I am interested in finding out if anyone has had them offroad as well. I have not installed mine yet, but once I do, I want to go to a local offroad park and hit some easy trails. Nothing extreme, just trails rated for stock vehicles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just recently put some of the 5100's on my truck in the front along with a aal in the back. I have yet to take it offroading but one thing that i can tell is that their isn't much down travel.(keep in mind i have them set on the top ring 2.5") For instance if you go over a speed bump the at a considerable speed once you roll over it there is not much downtravel for the suspension so it sounds like your hitting the bump stops. Also one of my upper ball joints the boot has torn and the other one is just leaking. But on the postive side the truck handles a lot better, The front end doesn't roll in the turns which i like.
-sam

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
I've had mine on the "bunny trails" but nothing hard core. No problems (knock on wood).
I had it on the beach in the NC Outer Banks this past weekend, and the Bilsteins took a pretty good pounding. I think I caught air a couple of times going over some small sand dunes. If bringing it in for a landing didn't break them, nothing will.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I took my truck for a ride last week over some rocky/dirt terrain in Trabuco Creek in South OC and there was multiple instances where I felt my front end in the air immediately following my back end in the air. Sort of an up/down effect within 3 seconds or something like that. Truth be told, I was pretty scared to do anything else after maneuvering my truck reckless, but I got home (a good 20 mile drive) safely. I haven't gone back yet, but after a week of regular daily driving and no problems, I'm convinced my truck can handle going offroad again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just recently put some of the 5100's on my truck in the front along with a aal in the back. I have yet to take it offroading but one thing that i can tell is that their isn't much down travel.(keep in mind i have them set on the top ring 2.5") For instance if you go over a speed bump the at a considerable speed once you roll over it there is not much downtravel for the suspension so it sounds like your hitting the bump stops. Also one of my upper ball joints the boot has torn and the other one is just leaking. But on the postive side the truck handles a lot better, The front end doesn't roll in the turns which i like.
-sam
Same thing happened to me. I just invested in the total Chaos Uppers.
That should take care of the problem.I'll never have to deal with those freaking joints again.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've taken mine offroad on old logging roads and 4th class roads with washouts. Enough to flex the suspension pretty well. Nothing extreme, but definetely roads that need 4x4, decent clearance and good tires. I've had no problems with the shocks at all. Mine are on the middle setting. Had them on since the spring and love 'em. I wouldn't be afraid to take them anywhere.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Had mine off road last weekend, they were great..I have mine @ the highest setting

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you want nicer front coilovers pay a little extra and get the BTS-7514 kit. You just have to have the coils installed on the shock body by your local shop at the height you want( up to 2" or 2.5" or 3" maybe)
They were a bee-ach to install, be aware! I have ran these for 6 months and LOVE them!! I lifted my dc 2" and ride like a dream. I matched the rear with 10pak deavers and 5100's.

I have bounced, bounced! over whoops and running down a sand wash at 60mph. Takes the beating! Corners like a racecar. Climbs crap I never thought a dc would.
I am yet to hear, feel, or see anything wrong. One alignment since I've had them. These coilovers are, in my opinion, worth the money, you won't be disappointed!!!
You may get an inch more lift with the adjustable
5100's but the ride and feel of the kit rocks! Plush!
The coils that came with them are 650#. I don't have accessories(winch, bumper,etc.) so I didn't need heavier springs.
I am gunna go to Camburg longtravel next after the rear is set up. My goal is to have a trail/hunting rig as well as high speed runner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts