Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone used their warranty, that they purchased from handy toyota. If so what did you get and did your dealer accept the warranty with no problems? And any other reviews are welcome.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Good thread -- I've wondered if another shoe would drop with that super low price. Hope it gets only great responses, as I'd like to do the same with my next buy....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i was wondering because i'm a little worried with all the threads i've been reading about problems. so with good reviews, it will probably be my next buy

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
As long as they are selling a genuine Toyota VSA you have nothing to worry about. It doesn't matter what Toyota dealer you take it to, the service department is getting paid for the same amount by the warranty company.

How it works is TFS sells it to ABC dealership for $1. ABC dealership will try to sell it to you for $4 and if you negotiate they'll sell it to you for $3. Dealerships that sell on the net will sell it to you for $2, but sell enough that they still make money.

The additional "$3" they charge is all back end profit. The dealers will try to make front end profit, i.e. price of car, how much for your trade in, etc and back end profit, i.e. aforementioned warranty markups (VSA/PPM/GAP/CLAH/LoJack), dealer processing fee, as well as on the interest rate you actually qualify for vs. what they tell you that you qualify for.

Scary how many contracts I see on a daily basis where people will have paid $50-$60k on a $30k vehicle. Just because someone can 'afford' a certain payment, doesn't mean they can afford the car.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I can tell you that my dealership matched the lowest price I found online for an 8 year/75K mile warranty. They didn't even need to verify the information. When the finance manager tried to sell me one, I told him to match the price I found online or else I would buy it online. He matched it with no problems. Just got my warranty booklet in the mail last week.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's good to know. that was another thing i wanted to do. go to my local dealer and see what they would charge. if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay? that's the one i want 8/75

·
Registered
860 Posts
I can tell you that my dealership matched the lowest price I found online for an 8 year/75K mile warranty. They didn't even need to verify the information. When the finance manager tried to sell me one, I told him to match the price I found online or else I would buy it online. He matched it with no problems. Just got my warranty booklet in the mail last week.
I did that and they said no can do. I said fine. Now with the VVTi issue I'm going to raise hell that they give me the full extended warranty for nothing. BWAAHAHAHAHHAHA

·
Registered
916 Posts
$885 for the 8 year/75K miles. New plan, $0 deductible, Platinum coverage. They tried to sell it to me for almost $1900!!!

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I bought the platinum 8 yr 125,000 mile and yes my dealer met the lowest price I could find.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
:focus: Back to the OPs original question: Has anyone actually USED this warranty?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought a platnum warranty and never got any paperwork on it. Dealer said there isnt any. Did any of you get some type of paperwork when you bought the platinum warranty from Toyota?

Thanks

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yup, got a booklet with my VIN, starting/ending mileage and date. It was basically my "proof of purchase".

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I did that and they said no can do. I said fine. Now with the VVTi issue I'm going to raise hell that they give me the full extended warranty for nothing. BWAAHAHAHAHHAHA
:eek: yeah good luck with that one....

·
Registered
485 Posts
I got a little booklet with a warranty number, its a small booklet with only a few pages in it with a registration number in it, its an actual colored booklet from Toyota (think it says Toyota Extra Care or something like that on it) and of course the sales receipt from the dealer I got it from, the booklet is about the size of a deck of cards.

I have used mine and no problems, they didn't need anything from me, the Toyota dealer you purchase your warranty from enters your VIN into the Toyota computer system, so you actually have the warranty the day you pay for it, as long as they enter that in that day, the guy I got mine from gave me some kind of registration number while I was on the phone in case I had any problems before I got the little booklet and receipt in the mail, the paperwork came too me about a week or so later.

The guy I got mine from suggested I apply for a Toyota credit card so I could get the Toyota points plus you get 0% financing for 6 months on it, I applied while on the phone with him and within about 10 seconds I was approved and he already had the number to charge it too and done.

Mine was a 6 year/100,000 platinum 0 deduct for $940.00 then I got like $47.00 back in Toyota points to use at a dealership, so basically $940.00 - $47.00 = $893.00

I already used my Toyota points towards a Sway bar and worked out great.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i know i brought this topic a while ago, but i'm bringing it back up because i never got a reply that stated if anyone used the warranty purchased from handy or any other toyota dealer and used it locally after the original 3/36 was up at their local dealer. and was it honored in the same fashion?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
mic, the only ones I've seen on other postings 'seemed' to have been used during the time frame of their original warranty. Like you, I'm curious if anyone has used the darn thing AFTER the original warranty expired.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts