Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to program a new key fob I got off Amazon for my 02 sr5, and for some reason, even though I do it in complete sync with the videos on YouTube, I cannot get the car to automatically lock and unlock after doing the steps. Anyone have insight on this?

Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my 03 limited. Turned out, one of my door actuators wasn't working in the "unlock"direction when tested by manually triggering the door lock/unlock button. After replacing the actuators for that door, and verifying lock/unlock working, it went right into program mode. My Amazon fobs have been working like a charm for over a year now.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same problem with my 03 limited. Turned out, one of my door actuators wasn't working in the "unlock"direction when tested by manually triggering the door lock/unlock button. After replacing the actuators for that door, and verifying lock/unlock working, it went right into program mode. My Amazon fobs have been working like a charm for over a year now.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Yeah thanks that's a good point. My driver's door lock isn't really working very well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I chased this rabbit for weeks! Even went to an auto electronics shop and they gave up. My one and only fob has a cracked case, bought a replacement case and still just have the one active fob and a nice spare one hanging on the shop wall along with a zip lock bag full of "How to program" procedures. Bought three different fobs, sent back two. I realized that "theoretically" you should be able to enter "program mode" without the new fob in hand. If you can't get there, "program mode" don't order a new fob.
Never thought bout the door lock issue??? Thanks, I think... Chap

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went through the same thing with my 02 sequoia when I bought it. I bought keys and fobs for my year model and all refused to program correctly. would get the double lock/unlock programming failed response after doing the programming sequence. turns out i needed to buy a 2001 fob even though my rig is a 2002. did you get the double lock/unlock program failed response or you don't even get into program mode?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I matched the ser# on my good fob with the code on the replacement. But I never got my truck into program mode. I only tried about a hundred times and two or three different approaches. Wish I had the rs3000 system then you only have to find the unit and press a button. Oh well, guess I didn't need an extra for anyway... Chap

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have heard that there is a maximum number of copies that our trucks can sustain. 4? Two original keys, one valet key, and you can do two spare keys with programming. If your truck has two spares that have been programmed, my understanding is that the system will not allow any additional spares to be made. After that, the dealer needs to reprogram the key transponder system. $$$ Good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I successfully programmed an Amazon sourced key fob using the YouTube method...at least for the lock/unlock. The back window up/down button activates the panic alarm. So does the little red square button on the back. So I have a partial program on it. I've also noticed the paint on the button wear off really quickly. I put a couple of layers of nail polish on the buttons and that's seemed to work.
I also had to replace the body of my original fob because the ring loop broke. I just transferred the guts to a new shell. Worked out just fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There is apparently a max number of devices that the system will allow as "scuddog" said. But as I recall there is also a way of clearing the system of all codes, but first you have to get it into program mode. If the system is "full" there is also a code that the system will send, a certain number of automatic door lock functions I am sure that you have worn You Tube out chasing this rabbit...I did... Chap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts