Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just dropped of my new 2011 tundra with 170 miles on it (had it 1week) no overdrive! when the tranny shifts into overdrive theres nothing there but gas and no go. i limped in to the dealer by shifting out of overdrive in 4th gear. i will say so far the dealer gave me a loaner car and i was told by the new car manager if he had to he would switch out the truck for another. just wondering if anyone has reported this problem. quick note when the problem occured the check engine and anti lock light came on and stayed on.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Wow. You just need to have them get you a new truck, don't take a rebuilt trans.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I agree - either a new truck or a brand new from the factory transmission would be my only acceptable fixes. I have read posts from several people here on TS that have had their transmissions locally rebuilt and they had endless problems with them. Figure the odds, if Toyota can't build them all properly at the factory what are the chances of some local shop doing it right?

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I'll agree also. On a truck that's not even driven yet with a faulty tranny, I would NOT accept a rebuilt one. Seems there are guys that have had several rebuilt transmissions and still have troubles.

·
Registered
415 Posts
quick note when the problem occured the check engine and anti lock light came on and stayed on.
So perhaps it's not a transmission problem. Could it be an ECU or a wiring harness/connection problem?

I'd try to wait until they figure out exactly where and what the problem is before jumping to conclusions and demanding a new transmission. But I can understand if you'd want to exchange your truck for a new one.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have 358 miles on mine with no problem and I'm with the guys on this new truck or new trans. IMO I would only take a new truck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Both of the 'rebuilt' transmissions that Toyota has put in my Tundra have had issues. I just had the shop foreman come out to my house this evening and witness the issue with Trans #3 that is in my truck right now. He said he will call Toyota and see what they want to do. I told him at this point we need to put a brand new transmission in the truck, not a rebuilt, because I am tired of having problems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just rolled over 1k on my '11 DC. No tranny problems noticed

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have 358 miles on mine with no problem and I'm with the guys on this new truck or new trans. IMO I would only take a new truck!
you drive like a grandma too!
:afro:

·
Registered
814 Posts
you drive like a grandma too!
:afro:
Hey Steve look! :sixgun:

BTW we are so slow I was at Sparks today and this 79 year old dude drove up and I got to talking to him and he called me a slow young punk! :pound:

Anyway he was just joking with me or not..old dude poped his hood and bam quote: see my supercharger you young punk!:eek:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Almost 2k on my 2011 CM, no transmission issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok the lights that are coming on is the check engine and anti slip light toyota cleared the codes which fixed the truck untill yesterday. i only drive 3 miles to work so i had my wife grive it the 30 miles she has to drive to work the day before now same lights are on and i also noticed the passenger airbag off light is on also, goin back to the dealer today and ask for a new truck this one is a lemon! will keep you guys posted. still havent put gas in the truck and about 250 miles on it

·
Registered
17 Posts
With that amount of miles i wouldnt not settle without a new truck if the problem cant be resolved with a new tranny. Im sorry to here his man, keep us posted. Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so now they claim its a know problem that has to do with a wire harness thats partly in the transmission and it will take a week to get it fixed. i asked if it was a known problem why wernt they corrected? andf was told not all the tundra had that problem...meaning from the factorys stand point they are goin to hope the poor bastard that buys their truck will have this problem after the truck is out of warranty. DONT BUY THE 2011 TUNDRA IT HAS PROBLEMS THAT TOYOTA DOSENT WANT TO FIX UNDER WARRANTY.

·
Registered
787 Posts
...meaning from the factorys stand point they are goin to hope the poor bastard that buys their truck will have this problem after the truck is out of warranty. DONT BUY THE 2011 TUNDRA IT HAS PROBLEMS THAT TOYOTA DOSENT WANT TO FIX UNDER WARRANTY.
So, which is it?
The truck is getting fixed, or, they won't fix it?
Is the dealer giving you a hard time?
I thought you said that they told you it would be fixed in a week.
Anyway, I realize that you're pissed, but that's a pretty steep assumption,
that Toyota just "hopes" their flawed vehicles just kinda "squeek by" until the warranty expires.
If the dealer is giving you a hard time, that doesn't reflect on Toyota.
But that wouldn't make sense, because dealers get paid by Toyota for warranty work.
And I guarantee that Toyota wouldn't have any issues with replacing faulty parts.
If it's the waiting that's bothering you, you'll have to talk to mother nature about that.
Production has been cut in half by the tsunami.
Not all parts are readily available.
Good luck, take a deep breath and I hope this all works out.
I have a feeling it will.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no just sayin i think its crapy for the factory to hope these problems dont occur till after warranty coverage expires

·
Registered
415 Posts
ok so now they claim its a know problem that has to do with a wire harness thats partly in the transmission and it will take a week to get it fixed. i asked if it was a known problem why wernt they corrected? andf was told not all the tundra had that problem...meaning from the factorys stand point they are goin to hope the poor bastard that buys their truck will have this problem after the truck is out of warranty.
No, it does NOT mean that. It's only your assumption (based on faulty reasoning) that Toyota "hope these problems dont occur till after warranty coverage expires".

From what you describe, it sounds like the dealer was trying to tell you the following:

Not all vehicles were produced with a faulty harness (probably just a very small percentage), and it's not a safety issue. Therefore, it would not be economically feasible for Toyota to recall every vehicle to inspect them and try to determine the ones with a bad harness. Once one of the unfortunate new owners discovers the problem, then Toyota will repair it.

I have no inside knowledge of this problem; I'm only going by what you have written here. I understand you being upset that your new truck has this problem, but try to keep things reasonable and in perspective. It sounds like Toyota IS trying to make this problem right for you. So why are you alleging that Toyota has some nefarious plan to cheat you and all other buyers of the 2011 model Tundras (of which I am one)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, it does NOT mean that. It's only your assumption (based on faulty reasoning) that Toyota "hope these problems dont occur till after warranty coverage expires".

well if u have a 2011 i wish you luck if you are a betting man we could make a side bet reguarding your transmission. if someone was to ask me should i buy a new tundra? i would say no! all car manufactures now days have no honor whatsoever! but id like to see them use my tundra in that commercial think at this point it would hurt sales

From what you describe, it sounds like the dealer was trying to tell you the following:

Not all vehicles were produced with a faulty harness (probably just a very small percentage), and it's not a safety issue. Therefore, it would not be economically feasible for Toyota to recall every vehicle to inspect them and try to determine the ones wit a bad harness. Once one of the unfortunate new owners discovers the problem, then Toyota will repair it.

I have no inside knowledge of this problem; I'm only going by what you have written here. I understand you being upset that your new truck has this problem, but try to keep things reasonable and in perspective. It sounds like Toyota IS trying to make this problem right for you. So why are you alleging that Toyota has some nefarious plan to cheat you and all other buyers of the 2011 model Tundras (of which I am one)?

good luck waiting to see how long it will take till you have the same problem

1 - 20 of 31 Posts