Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you guys with a 2nd Gen interested in wood bed kit from a top manufacturer? I have a company willing to do this, and needs a donor truck. Now I have a Double Cab, so for sure would be interested in someone with a Double Cab, but the Crew Max guys would need one too. This kit would go for about $1300, but would think we could get a "group buy" if there is enough interest in it.

If you are near Windom, MN or close by, post up in this thread. I am trying to see what the "donor" truck deal would be..I would hope it would be for free since they would be using your truck to mock up this bed kit.

I know this might be a "reach" for alot of you, but my mind/ideas never stop when it comes to modding! :D

YouTube - Show Deck [URL]http://www.horkeyswoodandparts.com[/url]

·
Registered
820 Posts
I think those beds look great in older trucks not our new trucks. I would tear that up with tools and work material.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Please do and take pics..And PM me with your address when you are ready to ship it to me.
I have a feeling you'll be waiting a while...
Tried to send points but it won't let me!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
That is not hard to do for anyone with decent skills. I've had trucks with the boards as stock and had to replace the wood and metal. Would take time to shape the end boards for a tight fit in a Tundra but the rest is straight forward.
Send me the metal, I'll supply the wood and make one for me and send you the pattern.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I love those, but not sure if it goes with our modern trucks. Also, I use the bed and would tear up those beautiful planks :(

·
Registered
859 Posts
Pfft. Bit of 8 x 4, some shiny metal bits. Job done :)

No point asking me. I can't even cut a sandwich straight.

·
Registered
598 Posts
That's like putting a DVD player in a Model-T Ford. It just doesn't go. Love the look in classic trucks, but not in Toyota Tundra.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I do agree that this wouldn't look good in most of our trucks, but Marky_Marks truck isn't exactly your "average" newer truck. I say go for it man.

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
When I saw the title to this thread, well, I knew it couldn't be, but I thought about all the 2 x 4" wood beds one sees around New England on the old rusted out Toyotas. :D

IMO, you need to take it into modern times. Just brainstorming.... something like a birdseye maple stained gray. I had an Audi S4 with gray birdseye maple trim, beautiful stuff.

I have a friend that could build a very nice kit for you. He is a true craftsman when it comes to wood. We built a custom kitchen for my 1864 Victorian House (Gothic Revival). We went and picked out the rough cut cherry boards and took it all the way to something amazing. Let me know....

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You guys did see the Hotrod Tundra. Not liking the hotrod Tundra, but the bed was wood. And those of you that know me by now, realize that I could careless about your opinions which you are welcome to I know. I am just trying to get this done.

So is there anyone nearby the place mentioned?

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I saw the title to this thread, well, I knew it couldn't be, but I thought about all the 2 x 4" wood beds one sees around New England on the old rusted out Toyotas. :D

IMO, you need to take it into modern times. Just brainstorming.... something like a birdseye maple stained gray. I had an Audi S4 with gray birdseye maple trim, beautiful stuff.

I have a friend that could build a very nice kit for you. He is a true craftsman when it comes to wood. We built a custom kitchen for my 1864 Victorian House (Gothic Revival). We went and picked out the rough cut cherry boards and took it all the way to something amazing. Let me know....
Agreed..My bed would be of a nice wood color.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I know you enjoy saying that you "don't care about their opinions" because you are an unique individual and so is your truck, and so on. :clown:
I don't think any of us honestly really care either about swaying you in terms of spending your money (people can take a massive dump in their own truck beds as far as I'm concerned), we just like to talk truck stuff - which usually includes opinions. ;)

However, in this instance you specifically asked people if they would be interested in a possible group buy. So people are going to say if they like the kit or if they don't like the kit, and if they would possibly use it - hence their interest in the buy. :) Sorry my friend, but in this case, you did ask for it!

Personally I'd love it. I think even the conventional color would look AMAZING on Salsa. I just wish I could protect it when I actually needed the bed! Maybe you could garner more interest if there were some type of cover available - dunno, just spitballing!

And those of you that know me by now, realize that I could careless about your opinions which you are welcome to I know. I am just trying to get this done.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I agree when you mentioned group buy, people want to know how others feel about it.

Since you won't be the first, maybe you could contact the builder of the hotrod and see who did it. That way if they have a pattern, they could whip one out. Not that it is hard to do. Did you try local cabinet/furniture makers about doing this?

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did not say if whether you would like it or not, only interested in it so they could get a "donor" truck..I only mentioned "group buy" to help you guys out if you were "interested", not me. I am interested, as to why I posted the thread...I just need a donor truck to get this ball rolling. I submit pics of my vehicle, etc and such to get a sponsorship as I did in this instance, and with alot of my mods.

So ya you can voice your opinion as I said, but I myself am not interested in what others think as you all know by now. I am straight forward when it comes to modding, and have my own identity when it comes to my truck. :D

Anyhoo, not here to debate what my post means, so post on. :)

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree when you mentioned group buy, people want to know how others feel about it.

Since you won't be the first, maybe you could contact the builder of the hotrod and see who did it. That way if they have a pattern, they could whip one out. Not that it is hard to do. Did you try local cabinet/furniture makers about doing this?
Ahhh grasshopper. :D That is how I got to this point. They did not make a pattern for this, as you might have guessed, there would not be a high interest in this and they wanted a one off. I contacted the owner of the truck, who turned me on to who made the kit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts