Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about swapping the resonator out for a small race style muffler to get ride of a little drone. I was wondering what the internals of the resonator looked like before I bought something. Is it hollow, straight through or baffled?

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
I was thinking about swapping the resonator out for a small race style muffler to get ride of a little drone. I was wondering what the internals of the resonator looked like before I bought something. Is it hollow, straight through or baffled?
I dunno but I replaced my stock resonator with a glass pack and love it - both in terms of sound and perceived (meaningless "Seat -o-the-pants" meter) flow. I did this to get rid of drone and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but all I am looking for is what the internal design of the resonator is and a picture if there is one out there.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
It will be just a bulge or cavity similar to a muffler or catalytic converter. There will be a perforated pipe going straight through, and perhaps fiberglass packing around the pipe.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that a guess or a fact? Don't mean to be a pain in the @$?, but I am considering making a purchase on a replacement and this info will be helpful.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, that actually posted while I was posting my previous reply......And the answer is yes and no I get the function od a resonator but and trying to determine how the factory one is built before I make my decision on replacing it. I may just have to find one in a junk yard and cut it open.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Wow, I sense a little hostility from Heatwave there. From reading your first reply I would not have understood either. You did not state in your first reply to click on number 6. Besides number 6 says "Backpressure and other types of mufflers". If you dont know what your resonator looks like inside why would anyone think to look at that section. That being said, I removed my resonator and still have it in the garage. I just went and looked inside it.
Sportster- click on tab #6 as said above. Scroll down to the second diagram. The one they are calling a glass pack is exactly what the resonator looks like. It is a straight through pipe with a bunch of little holes in it. As for what type of insulation is between the inner pipe and the outer casing I obviously can not see and I may put my resonator back on so I wont be cutting it open. I hope this anwers your question.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much for a direct answer. No hostility on my side. I was simply looking for a specific answer to a specific question. Thanks to everyone for their replies either way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts