Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a nice day today in the Northeast so I took a tour UNDER my new '07 Taco Access Cab 4X4 V6 in the driveway. Nice to see everything when it's new. All the stuff is clean, shiny, and looks just like the pictures in the "Shop Manuals".

The gas tank is PLASTIC. Has anyone noticed this?? I guess I don't have any problem with that but it certainly suprised me. How long has Toyota been doing this? :) TacoGuy

·
Registered
77 Posts
It was a nice day today in the Northeast so I took a tour UNDER my new '07 Taco Access Cab 4X4 V6 in the driveway. Nice to see everything when it's new. All the stuff is clean, shiny, and looks just like the pictures in the "Shop Manuals".

The gas tank is PLASTIC. Has anyone noticed this?? I guess I don't have any problem with that but it certainly suprised me. How long has Toyota been doing this? :) TacoGuy

I dont think it is plastic. I believe there is a plastic type cover over it

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
There are prob more vehicles made now with plastic than metal.

EDIT: just went out and crawled under mine and it is plastic, totally. I have seem many cars and trucks with the plastic shield/pan under them, but this is all plastic, even has the material code for recycling. The first vehicles I remember seeng with a plastic tank was the early 80's Dodge full size van. It was hard to miss seeing it when equipped with the large optional tank hanging down. Plastic tanks have proven to be just fine.

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
Starting in 2004 , the Sienna has a plastic fuel tank as well.
The Tacoma started in 2004
The Tundra started in 2005

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
My 1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - and I don't want anyone to knock it; it was a tough, tough truck - came with a plastic gas tank.

I eventually replaced it with a 33 gallon Aero tank, but the stock unit was plastic. Not a big deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts