Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching several threads on the forum in regards to the ticking noise being heard on several Sequoia's, I am fairly confident that it is not a cracked manifold, not the injectors, and not piston slap. A couple people have mentioned that the rubber boot around the steering column can disintegrate or tear. While I was crawling around under the vehicle the other day, I decided to check out the boot. I could feel that there was definate damage to the weather seal(boot). Has anyone replaced this boot themselves? I did not find any steps to replace this. Is it best to let a mechanic perform this replacement?

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Need to replace mine also. Found general instructions for doing it in the Haynes manual. Not sure if the return on investment of all that time is worth it though... :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. Thanks for the reply redbaron. I looked at the repair manuals here on TS. It seemed like all the steering components were pictured and outlined except the rubber boot. For the price, I could at least pick up a Haynes manual to take a look. I guess I was under the impression that the boot would not only keep out noise, but perhaps water as well, so felt like I should take care of it.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Soda,

Please let me know if you end up doing it. I'd like to as well for the same reasons you stated but really would like to know how much effort it is. Read somewhere that the tranny was dropped by a shop replacing the boot, but that sounds ludicrous to me. It surely can't be that difficult. Heard tell that a bad boot can lead one to believe there is an exhaust manifold leak, which I hear on my truck. Doesn't bother me too bad since it does have over 203,000 miles on it.

Thanks,
Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts