Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went and got back brakes today because I could hear that metallic squeeler making noise sometimes, I take the back tires off and the brakes are at about 60% to 70% no where near that squeeler indicator... so I took all the pads off and lubed the pins and cleaned everything with brake clean and put the old brakes back on.

Take it for a drive and notice its only really loud when I make a swaying right turn and I can hear that mettalic sound, when it was off the ground I turned the wheel and really didnt notice anything was making any kind of noise that I could pinpoint.

Could it be a shield ? I should think I would have noticed it rubbing when I kept spinning the wheels, seemed to notice an inner noise that sounded a little like rubbing, is there brake shoes inside those rear disc's for the emergency brake that could be doing this or has some kind of foriegn material in there doing this?

Again it only does it really noticable when I pull the wheel hard right while driving straight down the road, I lifted the truck off the ground and spun all the wheels to figure out which one was making noise and it was that back right, before I went to buy the brakes ... I know I gotta go back out there and take it apart again but before I do was just wondering if anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have this same problem, intermittently when backing up, from the rear left (and possibly right). I've visually confirmed that I have plenty of brake pad left and blew out all brake dust with compressed air and now just generally ignore the noise. It's only sometimes and it's not too loud. I don't know if it's the type of pads Toyota gave us or what...

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
There have been a couple threads around about the backing plate (dust shield) behind the rear brake disks being bent in and causing a noise like that.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I will definately check that out, going out in a little bit and tear it back down

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I just got done, pad clips could be the culprit yer right, the top ones were turned in toward the rotors, took them off and manipulated them until they were in the correct spot, but after a few turns again they are squeeling when on hard turn ins and outs at 25 mph or so ... weird I never had to mess with those things ever in about 200 brake changes on different vehicles ... they look to be honest like they are warping really bad, must be a heat issue or a defective build on those clips, they looked to be about a hair from the rotors, so I know they were definately making some noise.

I will get some new ones and give it a try again, for now they are back to what they were before any messing with the brakes, I did notice the pads were a bear to get off out of those guide clips the first time I took them off as well as the second time, while I know there is always tension and the use of a screwdriver prying them out always gets them right out, these were very, very hard to get off, wasn't something I have encountered before on other vehicles.

I also pushed out on the shields and they seem to be out of the way and no issues with them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem.. took it in for service and Toyota replaced both the front and rear pads and rotors, but the noise is still slightly there. I did apply the emergency brake a little while going at slow speeds and noticed the same noise appeared. Have you had any luck identifying the problem?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I ordered all the pad alignment clips and the caliper pins, they wont be here til sometime next week, I will install those and check it, if thats not it I will remove the disc and look at the emergency brake mechanism, I will get to the bottom of this because from what you said the dealer isnt going to fix it right and I just cannot take sitting at the dealership for something that wont work ... ill keep you updated once I get these installed about the outcome.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the same problem.. took it in for service and Toyota replaced both the front and rear pads and rotors, but the noise is still slightly there. I did apply the emergency brake a little while going at slow speeds and noticed the same noise appeared. Have you had any luck identifying the problem?

Does yours do it only when making turns? mine doesn't make a noise when going straight, just when making turns.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Parking brake rust maybe??
Try to drive a short distance with the parking brake on lightly.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try that later today, though that might actually make the leaning of the rotor less than it would normally and may give a false result, seems to me that this is some rotor movement side to side and its slightly catching those pad clips, when the emergency brake would be used this would make the rotor run more true and not let quite as much side to side movement, after all this actually could be a slightly loosening rear bearing ... who knows ... I will try everything

I noticed those caliper pins were pretty darn easy to slide in, could be my imagination and hope, we shall see I guess, more so than what I am used to, dunno if that could make a side to side squeel but since I am getting those anyway I will know once they are in.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The rear wheel bearings will normally move laterally about .006" under load. That's typical of most trucks, not just the Tundra. The question is what is touching when they do that to make your noise.
Here's another approach. Jack up one rear wheel and put the truck in neutral. (obviously on level ground!!) Apply pressure in on the wheel and turn it by hand to see if you can locate the noise. If you don't find it try the other side.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I did that to begin with to make sure which end needed brakes, it was definatly the back that made the noise, I think before I put those pads, clips and caliper pins on I will just remove the pads and clips, caliper and put the wheel back on and do what you suggest, if that doesnt make noise then its not the emergency brake because that would be the only thing that would still be in normal operating order once those things are removed, I am pretty sure that if I put the brakes on when turning side to side that stops all the squeeling but I will check again in a little while although if its the clips or anything that would actually align everything and make it stop squeeling one would think anyway, we'll see what I get from doing that as well as the emergency brake idea you had said.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
"I did apply the emergency brake a little while going at slow speeds and noticed the same noise appeared."

Is your truck lifted? Does the e-brake cable have enough slack?

Body roll could be yarding on your e-brake cable engaging the brake slightly.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK so the regular brakes do not quiet this, emergency brake seems to definately reduce the noise, perhaps I got a rust ring in there on the edges of the shoes, will try and get those off sometime soon and check out whats going on in there.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so I figured out whats happening.

Why its happening maybe someone else can tell me, the inner ring of the rotor is grinding away at the emergency backing plate, but only in this one small area and only when I go around hard sweeping turns ... this is the heavy backing plate not the secondary shield as you can see in the pictures, while I am sure if i took a sledge I could bend it out of the way but is that a good idea? its only hitting the plate in this one small area nowhere else is it touching it, I looked at that inner ring on the rotor and as seen it is bright metal and is the culprit digging into the backing plate, I did not take the other side off yet but it makes the same sound so I am guessing thats whats going on over there too.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
theres a tsb for rear brake squeak.... its for the caliper clips to be replaced to make the pads fit a bit tighter so they don't make noise... if you can pinpoint the noise...

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
just saw the pics.... friggen rust.... rear drums will do the same thing,,, you will turn and get a noise.... I cant tell you how much I hate rust.. lol

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
nice job in the find!! though

1 - 20 of 29 Posts