Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeap that solved it, quiet as a mouse now ... took the other side off as well, same exact thing only maybe 3/4 as bad in the exact same spot, very wierd, one happened then about 5 days after that the other started making noise is probably why the difference.

Took a chisle and the big hammer above lol and bent it out a little and viola finally solved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got the truck back from the dealer.. the problem was the parking brake!!!!!!!!!!!! Truck was at the dealer 3 times to take care of this issue. They replaced pads/rotors on the front and rear (toyota paid for it all...imagine that), still didnt fix the noise. As you, I was getting a metal to metal noise coming from the rear when I was veering right at slower speeds.. thought it was the pads. Anyway after all said and done the problem was the parking brake pads. Truck sounds like new again!! Hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for posting this, my 08 DBL cab is doing the exact same thing. It's silent most of the time but in the turns some times metal to metal noise at the same speed as the wheel is turning. I suspected the disc rotor was touching the rear emergency brake backer-plate. After seeing the pictures in this posting I am planning on some precision adjustment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was getting the same noise with my Tundra. I did lots of internet research and found either TSB 0013-13, which was the rear axle bearing issue and found the backing plate issue. I took rear wheels off, took brake rotors/drums off, and saw where the rotor/drum was rubbing the backing plate. A 32oz ball-peen hammer fixed the problem in a matter of seconds. No more squeal noise when cornering for me !!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Trucker1967, did you ever find a solution to the parking brake rubbing the backing plate? I have the same problem and it's driving me crazy! As you say, that plate is quite thick and can't be moved easily. Why does this even happen? There should be more clearance I would think. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This thread helped me out a bunch on my 2013 Tundra Double Cab. It was rubbing at the same exact location on driver and passenger side. Had the rear wheels off four times trying to find the problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
(2011 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L, 4x4... 200,000km and rear rotor change, could have done longer with old rear rotors...)

Faced the same issue a week ago when changed new rear rotors. Initially thought it was due to parking brakes but it was the new rotors which were touching a backing plate. Red also few forum articles and sounded like a very expensive exercise to get them fixed at a dealer.

Took tire off and hammered the touched / rubbed areas inwards (away from the rotors, toward rear diff) and all is good - did same for both sides. No more rubbing or grinding sounds anymore !

Just wanted to post observations here in case someone else facing same issues.

Thanks !

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
(2011 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L, 4x4... 200,000km and rear rotor change, could have done longer with old rear rotors...)

Faced the same issue a week ago when changed new rear rotors. Initially thought it was due to parking brakes but it was the new rotors which were touching a backing plate. Red also few forum articles and sounded like a very expensive exercise to get them fixed at a dealer.

Took tire off and hammered the touched / rubbed areas inwards (away from the rotors, toward rear diff) and all is good - did same for both sides. No more rubbing or grinding sounds anymore !

Just wanted to post observations here in case someone else facing same issues.

Thanks !
Interesting. I had no squeals, installed new rotors and pads. New stuff squealed so loud backing out of my driveway would wake the dead. Took it back to shop and had OEM pads installed. MUCH better but get an occasional squeal backing out of driveway but million times better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just discovered this issue with our 2010 Tundra Crew cab. Did bending the plate work? Is it safe to drive like that if it’s just the plate and not the bearings? Any help would be great!😁

21 - 29 of 29 Posts