Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Family and I are heading off to the coast Saturday with our travel trailer and I was curious if anyone has pulled a travel trailer yet with the 2007 5.7L.

On my 2005 Tundra, all I would do is turn off the overdrive and off we'd scoot.
Since I have no overdrive button, I am assuming that I push the Tow/Haul button, drop her into drive and go. :confused:

Any comments?

Thanks.

Bill

·
Registered
848 Posts
I towed my 18ft wellcraft with my tundra 5.7 for the first time on sunday night and it towed it like nothing i went up a very steep hill and i was able to accelerate all the way up i had one jacka$$ pull out in front of me and slam on his brakes i was able to stop in a short amount of time

overall i am very happy with it

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm borrowing the "rental" Tundra from my dealership to tow home my camp trailer from storage tonight. My DC wont be in for a couple more weeks, so I asked if I could borrow the one they rent out. Anyways I expect it should do just fine. I've got a 23ft toyhauler that even when it is empty is too much for my 2001 1/2 dodge, which is way underpowered with the 318 in it. I used the toy hauler as an excuse to get the new truck so it better do a good job.

Jason

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 07 DC Limited 5.7 that I use to tow dump trailers in the 5k to 8k range and a 25' Airstream that has a max weight of 7100 lbs. Plenty of power in all cases, and the 6 spd tranny makes it all the better. I use an Equalizer weight distribution hitch for the Airstream--the tongue weight of this trailer is up to 900-1000 lbs. The whole setup is very steady at 65 mph--in fact, you have to watch your speed carefully! Also have the tow mirrors--they are about 108" on the outside, or 3" beyond an 8'-6" trailer on each side.

Terry

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 07 DC Limited 5.7 that I use to tow dump trailers in the 5k to 8k range and a 25' Airstream that has a max weight of 7100 lbs. Plenty of power in all cases, and the 6 spd tranny makes it all the better. I use an Equalizer weight distribution hitch for the Airstream--the tongue weight of this trailer is up to 900-1000 lbs. The whole setup is very steady at 65 mph--in fact, you have to watch your speed carefully! Also have the tow mirrors--they are about 108" on the outside, or 3" beyond an 8'-6" trailer on each side.

Terry
Excellent! My trailer is about 6,000lbs loaded. I have a Reese WD hitch with sway control and a Prodigy brake controller. I also have the towing mirrors.
Sounds like I am going to be smiling all the way.:ts:

What is you MPG like when you are towing?

Bill

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bill

We've towed the Airstream about 800 miles so far and have averaged
between 10 and 12 MPG--the higher number at 60MPH on the freeway.
I am really pleased with the overall execution of the new Tundra--it really is in a class of it's own.

Terry

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Family and I are heading off to the coast Saturday with our travel trailer and I was curious if anyone has pulled a travel trailer yet with the 2007 5.7L.

On my 2005 Tundra, all I would do is turn off the overdrive and off we'd scoot.
Since I have no overdrive button, I am assuming that I push the Tow/Haul button, drop her into drive and go. :confused:

Any comments?

Thanks.

Bill
In your tundra, you have sequential shift & you will want to use that. Depending on how heavy the trailer is will determine what gear to put it in. I'd imagine you will use 4th or 5th, don't use 6th. The 5.7 has two overdrive gears, 5th & 6th. I have towed my 3000 lb horse trailer in 5th and it drops to 4th on the hills.

Let us know how she does.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Does the towing section of the owners manual actually say not to use 6th?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sequential Shift is nice, however, I would just use the "Tow/Haul" button You've "told" the Tundra that you are towing, it's smart enough to figure out whether to use 6th or not. Just tap your brakes on a downhill and it will downshift automatically.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I find that 5th gear is a good ratio for towing in the 55-60 MPH range.
I don't often use the tow/haul mode--maybe if you have 8k or more.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the towing section of the owners manual actually say not to use 6th?
That's a very good question. I have it in front of me and I can't find anything like that. Tow/Haul and "S" mode driving are not mentioned together.

I guess I will start in "D" with Tow/Haul engaged and see how it performs. If the tranny is hunting I will change to "S" mode and place it in 5th.

Bill

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm borrowing the "rental" Tundra from my dealership to tow home my camp trailer from storage tonight. My DC wont be in for a couple more weeks, so I asked if I could borrow the one they rent out. Anyways I expect it should do just fine. I've got a 23ft toyhauler that even when it is empty is too much for my 2001 1/2 dodge, which is way underpowered with the 318 in it. I used the toy hauler as an excuse to get the new truck so it better do a good job.

Jason

Pulled my camper home last night (its a 23ft Gear Box toy hauler) with the borrowed tundra from the dealership. I can't wait for mine to get in and to go camping now. The tundra did great. On my Dodge, the camper really makes it squat until I get the equalizer bars hooked up, not on the Tundra, it hardly squatted at all. The tundra easily towed it. In fact I think I'm going to have to be really careful about not speeding with it loaded or unloaded. Last summer when I had my 3 atvs in the Gear box, and the 80 gallons of water, my poor dodge would barely stay at 55 in 4th gear. Not going to be a problem now. The Tundra I borrowed had a Prodigy installed already and I have to say I really like it. Easy to adjust.

After dropping the camper off, I pulled the Tundra into my garage and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to roll the window down and fold in the tow mirrow to get the new one to fit (3 car garage, with 3 single doors), but the lenght wasn't a problem. My wife drove the truck back to her family's store to show the truck to her brother. She complimented the ride and drivability the whole way there. I was so proud of her, the first thing she did when she got behind the wheel was to floor it (which for the most part is how she drives her maxima).

I really appreciated the dealership letting me borrow a truck to pull the camper home. On the way back I stopped and put about 10 bucks of fuel back in the truck and of course thanked them again for letting me use the truck. Of course when it was all said and done, it made me really want mine to get here that much more.

Jason

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pulled my camper home last night (its a 23ft Gear Box toy hauler) with the borrowed tundra from the dealership. I can't wait for mine to get in and to go camping now. The tundra did great. On my Dodge, the camper really makes it squat until I get the equalizer bars hooked up, not on the Tundra, it hardly squatted at all. The tundra easily towed it. In fact I think I'm going to have to be really careful about not speeding with it loaded or unloaded. Last summer when I had my 3 atvs in the Gear box, and the 80 gallons of water, my poor dodge would barely stay at 55 in 4th gear. Not going to be a problem now. The Tundra I borrowed had a Prodigy installed already and I have to say I really like it. Easy to adjust.

After dropping the camper off, I pulled the Tundra into my garage and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to roll the window down and fold in the tow mirrow to get the new one to fit (3 car garage, with 3 single doors), but the lenght wasn't a problem. My wife drove the truck back to her family's store to show the truck to her brother. She complimented the ride and drivability the whole way there. I was so proud of her, the first thing she did when she got behind the wheel was to floor it (which for the most part is how she drives her maxima).

I really appreciated the dealership letting me borrow a truck to pull the camper home. On the way back I stopped and put about 10 bucks of fuel back in the truck and of course thanked them again for letting me use the truck. Of course when it was all said and done, it made me really want mine to get here that much more.

Jason
Thanks for the report Jason.
I will report back mid week with my findings. I can't wait!

My wife loves driving the truck. She thought that it's size would be intimidating but she finds that it handles very well. The only complaint has been the blind spots created by the tow mirrors when turning left. I think that in time my brain will train the eye to see past this spot.

Thanks again.

Bill

·
Registered
71 Posts
I towed my race car and rhino. The tongue weight was alot so the truck sagged a bit. I also had about 1K in the bed. It had plenty of power and got about 11 mpg.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have looked but can't find any info on how the tow mode works on the Tundra.If it works like other trucks, all it does is change the shift points in the lower gears.
On the Titan, Tow mode raised the shift points in the first three gears, other than that it does nothing. I suspect the Tundra is not much different.
I would watch the tranny temperature gage, especially when towing in the mountains, if the the temp. rises, down shift until the temp. drops.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Excellent! My trailer is about 6,000lbs loaded. I have a Reese WD hitch with sway control and a Prodigy brake controller. I also have the towing mirrors.
Sounds like I am going to be smiling all the way.:ts:

What is you MPG like when you are towing?

Bill
I towed our new TT (07 VR1 310 BHS) a couple of weeks ago on a short trip - about 100 miles round trip. Our trailer is 33' :eek: , has a dry weight of 7K. We had it very lightly loaded (probably 7.5-7.7K). We have the Equalizer hitch. The trailer pulled VERY well. Although the trip was short it was 5-6% grade over an elevation of 7272'. Towed in tow/haul mode the whole way.

You will have NO problem with your trailer.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Keep all the "real world" towing stories coming folks! :tu:

I am "upgrading" from a small truck to a full-sized truck (I have a Tundra on order) partly for tow a "future" toyhauler, similar to the Gearbox described above. So it is good to hear (from non-marketing folks) that it performs well in that capacity.

Any more details about how different options on the truck perform (like the mirrors, prodigy, stock suspension, transmission etc. mentioned above) would also be appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Leaving to go to harlan, ky later today (bout 3:30pm) for a huge rockcrawl meet...will report back on how it tows up the mt and the fuel economy. So far towing my junk it got 15.5 mpg down the interstate (16' tandem with an 85 4runner on 38" tsl's on the back) @65-70mph

·
Registered
25 Posts
Been towing my 22' boat with my 2007 5.7L DC Tundra. No Problems pulling 5300lbs. I switch over to Tow/Haul mode for pulling the boat. :tu:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Holy Sh** batman, does the 5.7 ever pull. Had a neighbour's "lead-sled" stock trailer(6000 lbs) to use to compare my 2001 4.7 to the new 5.7 on an afternoon test drive with the new Tundra. Using our usual test hill, hitting bottom of hill at 100 km and putting the pedal down, speeds at top of hill were: 2001 4.7 tundra -100 km and holding, 2004 F150-7700 with 5.4- 82km and still losing speed, and the 5.7 Tundra -120 km and still accelerating. VERY impressed. If the hill was longer I am not sure how much change there would have been.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts