Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate these posts as much as the next guy but I'm just curious as to if anyone has traded down to a Tacoma, or also owns a Tacoma. The gas is starting to hurt the pocket book. Looking at going from an 08 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 to an 08 Tacoma Reg cab 4x4- it would be the 4 cyl.

I'm just curious to hear your all's thoughts.

·
Registered
252 Posts
what do you do with your truck now?
towing, hauling off road?

the 4x4 4 cyl is not going to be good a towing or hauling .
i have just the street model and works great for me and have hauled max load.

but don't think a 4x4 4 cyl is going to get super millage?
and if you are changing for millage only.. well i think it would take a long time to make a significant difference. few mpg for smaller/trade down
i would rethink if i were you.
don't know your size? but a reg cab can be a bit small and tight ( i am 6 ft have the seat all the way back). so in a reg cab very limited inside storage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went from a 08 4x4 standard cab Taco to a 2010 Tundra 4x4 DC, the Tundra lasted for 6 months before I traded it in on a 4x4 access cab 4x4 4cyl Taco. I don't haul anything other than a small trailer with a ATV but that dropped the mileage on the Tundra by 1.5MPG's, the same trailer only has a .75MPG effect on either 2.7 Taco's. Either way I averaged 16 in the Tundra and 22 in the Taco's and thats enough difference for me. Oh and I'm 6-4 250 pounds and the Tundra was roomier but the Taco fits just fine but has a lot less storage...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just traded my 08 DC 5.7 Tundra today for a 11 double cab Taco V6. was spending about $150.00 a week on gas. I loved that truck but it was killing me. Only about 20 miles on the Taco but it's a Toyota

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a 2005 Double cab Tundra with the V8 (automatic) and traded down to a 2005 Access cab Tacoma with the V6 (6 speed manual). Both trucks had the towing package. I was getting 14-16 MPG with the Tundra and only went up to 16-18 MPG in the Tacoma. I was really disappointed that I didn't get a better MPG for a truck that was so much smaller. I did drop my payment, which helped the pocketbook a bit, but the change is fuel usage was not worth it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had an 06 Tacoma DC 4x4 for three years, and I kick myself every time I see one on the road. I plan on going back to the Tacoma for my next vehicle. Though I love my Tundra, the Tacoma is way more practical for my needs. Plus, the Tacoma's build quality was better. Sorry to say it, but its true. The small boost in mpg will be welcome also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a 08 Tacoma TRD Double Cab and went to a 2010 DCab TRD Tundra. Wish I would have kept the Taco. Much better built, unless you tow alot then get the Taco. The Tundra is nice and a beast but not very practical. I only get 12-13mpg in my Tundra around town and 17mpg on the interstate and got 16-17mpg & 20mpg in the Taco.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The sweet spot between the Tacoma and the Tundra is the 4.6L engine. Same comparitive gas milage, but a lot more flexible capability. I'm just a light truck user so massive towing/hauling capacity isn't needed.

I still think the Tacoma would have been a great truck for me. I went to the dealer to buy a Tacoma last fall and drove off with a new Tundra. The Tundra was $4,000 cheaper than the Tacoma I was looking at due to a fleet purchase of Tundras by the local dealer. It was also quieter and more comfortable than the Tacoma.

You just have to be able to deal with the bulk of the Tundra. Luckily I have a shop to park it in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You just have to be able to deal with the bulk of the Tundra.
That bulk is why I got rid of my Tundra.Much too big.The Tacoma feels much more comfortable for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well i started with a 07 Tacoma V6 TRD then traded it for an 08 Tundra XSP and then just traded last week for a 11 Tundra TRD. But most of my driving is around town and really dont care about the MPGs. I love my Tundra and dont really see me going back to the Taco. 1 reason is i just paid 26K for my TRD Tundra the Tacos Sticker for more then that.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I traded an '01 Tundra for a 09 Taco. I miss the Tundra, its definitely a step down. But I picked a lightweight trailer and I can still pick up rolls of hay so the Taco does what I need it to. It does get better MPG

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm thinking of trading down from a '10 trd 4x4 CM. Just too big. Like the power and turning radius compared to the '04 i had before. don't like the overly sensitive acceleration and the bed bounce on older concrete highways. also don't like the huge console. Seats seem a little too short. My '04 seemed more comfortable. Just wish the Tacoma got better mileage. The only thing really holding me back is the money I will lose trading down. I also don't care for the tundra transmission. always shifting and seems to be searching for gears at low speeds.

·
Yamahauler
690 Posts
i had the 5.7L sequoia and traded down for the 4.0L taco. it feels completly nuttless on the freeway compared to the 5.7, but a tundra was too much for me, and the taco is a perfect fit. i figure i'll throw on a supercharger next year and call it good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got both but the 05 taco got a supercharger in it. It's been getting average 20mpg if I keep from boosting. I only use the 07 5.7 tundra if im pulling a trailer or picking up materials. But Yeah, the gas kills with both trucks. Thank God My wife has a prius.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i traded down to a Tacoma last week and love it. I miss the power of the tundra but really didn't need it as i don't tow. too soon to comment on mileage. Surprisingly, I have more leg room in the tacoma than i had in the tundra. the tacoma is much easier to navigate around town and in parking lots and is infinitely easier to get things in and out of the bed. transmission is much smoother and it does not have the jumpy accelerator that the tundra had. I will find out this winter if the heater warms faster than the turdra's. The tundra took forever to heat up. The backup camera in the tundra was a better design than that in the tacoma but i don't need it as much. Visibility in the tacoma is also better, both to the rear and past the a-pillars up front.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
My trade was a Taco 4x4 for an 06 Tundra 4x4. I went to the Taco 'cause the new Tundra had gotten too big for my needs and use. The 09 Taco is about the size that the Tundra used to be before the increase in size. I haven't regretted the swap. I'd like better mileage but I'll probably be saying that 'til the Taco gets the same as a Prius. Ha!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Back in the day, I had an `04 dbl cab v6 prerunner taco, it was nice, the bed was sufficient but borderline short, did awesome in snow/mud, had plenty of room for "guests" in the back seat, but the lil 3.4L didnt have any balls whatsoever. That, and add that it got the same gas mileage as an 06 V8 Tundra. So, what did I do after owning the taco for 2yrs? Trade for a...you guessed it, V8 Tundra. I would also like to add that the 1st gen Tundra is the same size as the 2nd gen Taco (almost, lil bit more leg room in the Tundra). Went from a Taco to a Tundra and haven't looked back.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts