Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a used 2006 Tacoma 4x4 crew cab, TRD Off Road with 80K miles. This is my 9th Toyota product and 6th 4x4 Toyota Truck. I have progressively bought bigger as my kids keep growing. I started with a 1988 standard cab truck, then to a '94 extra-cab and 2000 extra-cab. Those were the best trucks ever and always 5-speed manual. I went to the '02 Tundra access-cab and most recently an '04 Tundra double-cab. I felt I was always trading up to better quality until the '04. The room was great and the V8 power was the best for hauling camping or hunting gear into the mountains. But the gas mileage sucked and the bumper to bumper length of the double-cab was too long to drive off-road on anything smaller than a two track or Forest Service Road. I think I got real lucky when I sold the '04 for what I paid two years ago for it. And now I'm back in a Tacoma. The interior cab size is not quite what either Tundra had, but such a great increase over the 1st Gen Tacoma. I don't know that I'll ever go back to the Tundra unless off road size and MPG become a super low priority for me. They have all seemed to be better built than the domestic trucks I have been around. I seem to drive my Toyota's well over 150k miles and I haven only seen a handful of Ford or Chevy trucks hold together that long.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Last December I traded my 2005 Tacoma Access Cab, V-6, 4x4 TRD Sport for a 2011 Tundra Double Cab 5.7L 4x4 TRD Off Road. I miss the smaller size of the Taco sometimes in tight spots like off road and in parking garages. But I love all the toys I could get on the Tundra that are not available on the Tacoma and that 5.7L V8 is awesome. Strangely considering the price difference a lot of the interior materials are nicer in the Tacoma than the Tundra - things like the hard plastic dash and door panels in the Tundra for instance.

As far as gas mileage though, it is just not worth trading to a Tacoma IMO, at least if you get the 4L V-6. I commute 250 miles per week and I am using about 1-2 gallons more per week in the Tundra than I did in the Taco. It would take a really long time to save enough that way to pay for a trade.

I think that they are both great trucks and are just for different needs. If you tow large trailers or haul heavy loads the Tundra rules, but if the Tacoma is enough truck for you it is a really nice truck too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've had my '11 Tacoma 4x4 TRD ORLB for about 6 weeks now after trading my similarly equipped Tundra. I was seduced by the power and room of the Tundra but ultimately realized I didn't need the power and didn't like the size. I don't do any towing and do most of my driving in town. The Tundra was just to big for urban use. I also got tired of having to use a step ladder to clean the top.
The mileage on the Tacoma is only marginally better than the Tundra. In fact, on the highway I could do better in the Tundra than in the Tacoma, so far. I've gotten 18-19 on all tanks in combined driving with the Tacoma. Int the Tundra i got 13-14 in town and up to 20 on the highway. The Tundra had a slight hesitation on acceleration from a standstill and at low speeds the transmission seemed to search a lot. The heater took forever to warm. I like the 5 speed in the Tacoma much better. It is smoother and crisper. The small size is definitely easier to navigate parking lots in. Surprisingly, the Tacoma has far greater leg room in the front than the Toyota. With the seat all the way back, iI can't safely drive it and I'm 6'3".
Both had the non-jbl radio and, that said, both were unacceptable. i don't particularly like the bed liner in the Tacoma. It is too slick. I cut my old rubber bedliner down to size and am using it.
I haven't taken an extended trip in the Tacoma yet so it remains to see how it will compare in that regard.

·
Registered
252 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
i added a couple of d-rings to the front of the bed. I need to add a couple of tie-downs to the rail of my own design that aren't as easy to steal as those that come on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Forced to sell my 2002 4x4 Tundra to make the sale of my 5th wheel.
Bought a 2010 4x4 Taco with the works, but it still lacks the torque of the Tundra. Gas mileage is about the same..

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
I want to do the opposite.
Owned Toyota pick ups from 87, my first being a 22RTE, yep the factory turbo! lol :devil:
Now at 50 & a few toyota trucks later (& one painful lesson w/ a Nissan Pathfinder) I want to go back to a Tundra. My previous Tundras were 1GEN both crew cab & an AC.
My current ride is a 2006 Tacoma DC 4WD auto SB w/ an aftermarket tow pk.
I bought it new as a leftover & got a great deal on it.
Now we upgraded to a larger clamshell enclosed snowmobile trailer. Its an 8x12 not heavy but tall & looks huge behind & feels huge behind it. FWIW we tow it in the winter time, mtns. through N. VT, NH, Me. Before my trailer did ok, but not great.
Mpg is equal in both configurations I have owned & driven v8 4.7 iforce & v6 vvti 4.0L.
There are times I am limited with the tacoma & feel now is the time to move it. So any input for me?
I have heard the debate on the 5.7 vs 4.7 vs 4.6. If I do go Tundra is a 1GEN or 2GEN and what configuration? TIA.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
There are times I am limited with the tacoma & feel now is the time to move it. So any input for me?
I have heard the debate on the 5.7 vs 4.7 vs 4.6. If I do go Tundra is a 1GEN or 2GEN and what configuration? TIA.
I would think that the gen 1 Tundra is too similar to the current Taco to make it worth it to trade - unless all you need is the 4.7L engine. If you are looking for towing capacity the 5.7L is one awesome engine. To have a truck that can better handle towing heavy trailers was a major reason for me to trade my Taco for a Tundra. My Tacoma could do it (4.0L engine) but it worked really hard and it got horrible gas mileage while towing.

I don't mind the size of the current Tundra since I have driven 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks for years. But it is a large truck and it can be a handful in tight situations. My Tundra is a DC and so was my Taco. I almost never put people (that I liked anyway) in the back of the Taco, but two or three people can ride very comfortably in the back of my Tundra.

I am also a muscle car fan, which made the 5.7L an easy pick for me. My truck has the TRD true dual exhaust and it can put a smile on your face every time you drive it. :devil:

Both are excellent vehicles and each are best suited to different uses - there are many things I prefer on the Tundra and things I miss about the Taco.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
I appreciate the insight for sure & you are the 3 person I know who has had both to say that about the 1GEN Tundra. Its been a while since I drove one (2006).
I think a 5.7 is in my horizon in the DC configuration. Did you trade in your Tacoma or sell outright. If you did trade, did you take off all your extras. Its been a long time since I traded in.
Thanks!

I would think that the gen 1 Tundra is too similar to the current Taco to make it worth it to trade - unless all you need is the 4.7L engine. If you are looking for towing capacity the 5.7L is one awesome engine. To have a truck that can better handle towing heavy trailers was a major reason for me to trade my Taco for a Tundra. My Tacoma could do it (4.0L engine) but it worked really hard and it got horrible gas mileage while towing.

I don't mind the size of the current Tundra since I have driven 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks for years. But it is a large truck and it can be a handful in tight situations. My Tundra is a DC and so was my Taco. I almost never put people (that I liked anyway) in the back of the Taco, but two or three people can ride very comfortably in the back of my Tundra.

I am also a muscle car fan, which made the 5.7L an easy pick for me. My truck has the TRD true dual exhaust and it can put a smile on your face every time you drive it. :devil:

Both are excellent vehicles and each are best suited to different uses - there are many things I prefer on the Tundra and things I miss about the Taco.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I appreciate the insight for sure & you are the 3 person I know who has had both to say that about the 1GEN Tundra. Its been a while since I drove one (2006).
I think a 5.7 is in my horizon in the DC configuration. Did you trade in your Tacoma or sell outright. If you did trade, did you take off all your extras. Its been a long time since I traded in.
Thanks!
I did trade my Tacoma in, although I almost never do that because of what you are usually offered. I left on the extras - tube steps, nav system, Low Pro tonneau, bed mat because I had it appraised with them. I guess I could have checked to see how much the cost would have changed if I took them off and then sold them myself, but I did not want the hassle. I know a lot of people on TS suggest doing that though.

I was not commited to a trade, but the dealer gave me the top - excellent condition - Kelly private party sale price for my trade, and I could see no reason not to take it and run. I was honest and told them about the truck's collision history and I still got a price that Kelly lists for a vehicle with no collison history - $13,700 if I remember correctly, with just under 60k miles.

Tacomas have excellent retained value though, so not sure how much I could have made selling it myself. I didn't have time to screw around, since they found just one truck out of state with the equipment I wanted and Toyota's 0% interest offer ended 6 days after I bought it.

Let is know what you decide and how it all goes. If you haven't driven a 2nd gen Tundra you really should - I was amazed at what great truck it is, even in its fifth model year.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
I did trade my Tacoma in, although I almost never do that because of what you are usually offered. I left on the extras - tube steps, nav system, Low Pro tonneau, bed mat because I had it appraised with them. I guess I could have checked to see how much the cost would have changed if I took them off and then sold them myself, but I did not want the hassle. I know a lot of people on TS suggest doing that though.

I was not commited to a trade, but the dealer gave me the top - excellent condition - Kelly private party sale price for my trade, and I could see no reason not to take it and run. I was honest and told them about the truck's collision history and I still got a price that Kelly lists for a vehicle with no collison history - $13,700 if I remember correctly, with just under 60k miles.

Tacomas have excellent retained value though, so not sure how much I could have made selling it myself. I didn't have time to screw around, since they found just one truck out of state with the equipment I wanted and Toyota's 0% interest offer ended 6 days after I bought it.

Let is know what you decide and how it all goes. If you haven't driven a 2nd gen Tundra you really should - I was amazed at what great truck it is, even in its fifth model year.
I really appreciate the info :tu:
And yes I look forward to test driving for I have not test drove the newer style though I have drooled over them on plenty of occasions in the dealers parking lots after hours.
The truck is out on CL & not in a hurry but if they give me a good trade in like yours it will be all over but the posting of the pictures on here & I am back posting on TS more. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Thought I would update the thread with what happened.

Traded my stock 06 Taco 4x4 Sr5 DC auto 4.0L V6 65k in on 9/12/11.
Bought a 2011 Tundra Double Cab SR5 4.6L V8 w tow, cold weather pkg, LineX & weathertechs. MSRP was $32,988 priced $27423 plus $500 for Linex/floor liners.

Dealer gave me $17500 for trade & I sold all my take off parts locally or in the forums (Cap, cashed in extended warranty, extra set of winter take offs, wet okoles etc, etc, etc).
I had tried selling the truck w/ the extras PP for about 6 weeks at same trade $ as dealer. Had interest but no one would pull the trigger even w/ the extended warranty. The truck was clean with Wet Okoles since new, no smoke, totally turn key. Our market is flooded with nice used tacomas selling privately plus a 4yr truck in Vermont the undercarriage is always suspect. Sooo...

I am extremely happy with the trade. Updated to almost a 5 yr newer truck for
$11543 including TTL OTD.
The take off part money I pocketed for future mods.
My tacoma was paid for so my original intent was to flip the truck for $10k.
Almost hit that goal but am happy with the deal for stock was very limited in the sub $35k MSRP price range.
Lots of CM, RW, Limiteds available just a tad outta my price range.
The tacoma was a good truck for 4.5 yrs but really like being back in a Tundra.
Pics

·
Registered
457 Posts
I had an 06 Tacoma v6 offroad access cab. now have a 2010 Tundra 5.7 . Funny there are no hills anymore now that I have the 5.7. I don't know why or how the landscape has changed but I don't notice hills any more. had 3450 lbs of lime on the tundra and hauled it 50 miles. I had 6 people in it the other day for a little trip. Tacoma would only really hold 2 people. much quieter on the road, rides real nice. would be a great truck for a long road trip. I couldn't go back. The only negative with the Tundra is that it is kind of big on brushy woods roads when hunting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went from the '03 Tundra standard cab 8' long bed in my sig pic to a '10 Tacoma access cab 6' bed. While I like the better gas milage and the extra cab room, I miss the 8' bed. I actually came close to buying a '10 Tundra access cab w/ an 8' bed but, it was a monster.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This past weekend I just traded a 2010 Tundra Double Cab 4.6L V8 for a 2012 Tacoma Dbl Cab V6 4x4. LOVE THE NEW TRUCK!!!! Always wanted the Tacoma Dbl Cab but purchased the Tundra early 2010 because it was $4k cheaper than the Tacoma. The '12 Tacoma looks bad ass with the redesigned grill and interior appointments. The gas mileage will be the same, but the Tacoma is a better size vehicle for me and the wife and for what we haul/tow it will work just fine. Got the full offroad pkg and all the works. Love the truck so far!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Traded the 2010 Tundra for a 2012 TRD sport DC Tacoma this weekend. Put about 500 miles on it and it's a great truck. Just like the Tundra, just smaller. Almost all the same features, all very familular. Like making a smaller hole in the air.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2002 TRD OR AC SR5 Tundra that I use for a work truck and just recently bought a new 2015 TRD Pro Tacoma Inferno DC AT with factory tow, so I own both. The new Tundras are way bigger than my 1st gen and the Taco is close to it in size.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts