Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't bother getting the 4 cylinder Taco if you want good fuel economy or even moderate fuel economy. I have own 3 Tundras since 2002 and the T100 and many Toyota cars. All were bought new. Toyota has literally "killed" good fuel economy for their trucks starting in 2006. My 2004 Tundra with the big V8 got 18 miles / gallon in the city. The next Tundra which was a 2011 with the small V8 (318) got 10 miles to the gallon in the city. So I bought a 4 door, 4 cylinder Tacoma thinking I would get better gas milage. WRONG!! With nothing in the bed and literally no overdrive pickup I got 12 miles to the gallon. I took it back to dealer and he hooked it up to diagnostic and said it is set to specs. He said, the truck is too heavy for a 4 cylinder. Never, has any of my Toyotas been so bad in performance let alone gas milage. The 6 cylinder doesn't do much better.

The problem with Toyota trucks is in the air intake area. Toyota starves the engine of air. A quick fix that got two more miles to the gallon is to rip out the charcoal element on the head of the air intake. I saw this on youtube and the engine instantly breathed easier. I got faster pickup, overdrive, and averaged 2 more miles to the gallon. Still not good enough, I took Toyotas air intake system off and put a $200 K&N air intake system on my 4 cylinder Tacoma. Now, I am pushing 20 miles to the gallon in the city and my truck screams with performance.

I have owned at least 10 new Toyota trucks since 1988 and have never been so disappointed with Toyota trucks. My Tacoma was the Prerunner series. Toyota trucks (Tundra) keep getting taller and bigger every year. Bring back the T100 size truck, fix the fuel economy issues and Toyota sales with sky rocket. Hate to say it but my next truck might be a FORD! God forbid!

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Hate to say it but my next truck might be a FORD! God forbid!
You might regret that for other reasons. My neighbor was just talking to me yesterday about maybe selling his F-150 and getting a Tundra. In the last four years he has had $8900 in repairs - not maintenance - just fixing stuff that broke on his F-150. In that same time nothing has ever broken on my Tundra in almost 5 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just as I am afraid of buying a US named manufacturer. I just don't trust the quality of our big 3 auto manufacturers. For every bad story there is a good story. Fortunately, for Toyota, there are very few bad stories. I wish the Tundra would down size. Sales would definitely climb. The Tacoma is expensive when you try to buy one comfortably equipped. The ride is much quieter and smoother in the Tundra. the quality is far better in the Tundra. Why doesn't Toyota listen to the average truck guy and adjust the Tundra back down to the T100 size and find a better way of getting good fuel economy I'll never know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Excellent question. I'm seriously considering selling my 2007 5.7 DC 2WD Limited, and picking up a new(er) Taco 4x4. I think the only thing that has kept me from trading down, is that glorious 5.7. It just turns my frown upside down. :)

Taco engine selection.... uggh. They really need another factory option. I test drove it, and couldn't wait to get back in "Big Blue." Still mulling it over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 Tundra 4x4 with the 4.7L and 82,600 miles on it, and the only things done to it besides tires, battery, and brakes (plus a few recalls) was the struts and rear shocks, which were just replaced a few months ago. The problem is towing. It struggles pulling a 19' travel trailer up mountain roads here in CO. Otherwise, it's been a great truck, and I'm glad it's not one of the newer tanks. I might be selling it soon to get another truck, but I need towing, so a Taco is out of the mix. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I think the only thing that has kept me from trading down, is that glorious 5.7. It just turns my frown upside down. :)
I had my 2005 Taco 4x4 for almost 6 years and basically loved the truck. But once I had driven a Tundra I had to have one, even though it does not handle as well as the Taco. Mine was a TRD Sport and I put some nice Michelins on it, so it drove really nicely.

But like hydrotoys says - The engine makes the Tundra. I kept hoping to see the 4.6 in the Taco with some nice equipment, but they never made anything close in over 10 years on the market. The 4.0 V-6 got the job done but it never once put a smile on my face like the 5.7 does every time I drive it - and I have had my Tundra going on 5 years now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have both... a 2009 Tundra 5.7 and a 2015 Tacoma 4.0 . In my case, my Tacoma is TRD supercharged so gas mileage (and acceleration) is similar. I feel that the Tacoma is too small for me, but I got it because I needed 2 trucks for work and I didn't want 2 automatic trucks as I love manuals... Taco is a 6 spd. If they made a manual 5.7 Tundra I would trade the Tacoma for it in a heartbeat. I use the Tundra for towing-related jobs and the Tacoma for easier projects.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2010 Tundra DC TRD 4.6L V8, I am thinking of buying something other than a Toyota. I get between 14 and 15 MPG highway when empty, towing a 21' travel trailer my mileage drops to 6.5 MPG. I have owned Toyotas since 1974, and have always been a fan but this gas consumption issue is really bothering me. My last Tacoma was a 2006 4.0L V6 it averaged 19 MPG, towing a 21' Bay liner the mileage dropped in half. The boat was about the same weight as my 21' travel trailer with less wind resistance but the Tacoma preformed better than the Tundra when puling a trailer. I have a friend who has a 2014 Ram 1500 eco diesel, he claims 17 MPG pulling his 24' travel trailer, another has a 2015 F150 with the eco-boost and is claiming 15 MPG towing a small fifth wheel.

If I buy another Toyota it will be a Tacoma but the mileage the other truck companies are claiming is causing me to at least have a look their way.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own both, and a long time owner of Taco's, my Tundra is toy # 11. My first toy was 1969.
The 93 toy I had, 4x4 R22 4 cyl,got 27MPG. I now have a 2002 taco trd with the 6. As much as I liked the MPG of the 93, I love the towing capacity of the 2002, I pull a camper with it and putting air bags on it, I can have the camper on the hitch and my ATV in the bed. Probably get about 17 or 18 MPG like this the Camper is a 20 ft jayco. Climbing the passes or in bad wind the MPG will drop to 16 and maybe 15 is the worst I have ever gotten, except pulling my boat, my tundra gets 9 mpg pulling my boat, the tacoma gets 14 to 15. Oh, my tundra is a 2010 with the 5.7 flexfuel, and your right, it hurts the pocket book to drive that thing. The only time it is used now is camping or something else requiring lots of room and big hp. There are two reasons I keep it, one, nearly 50 years of toyota's and expecting the longevity of the brand I hope the same is true of the Tundra, the wife loves the Tundra, we go on a long trip, camping etc, she wants to take it. The gas mileage of the tundra is horrific, were I to drive it as much as my 02, my gas bill would be as much as payments on a new truck.

·
Locked in for life
1,118 Posts
I've had a 1993 Taco, a 2000 Tundra and now the 2009 Tundra. I'm downsizing to the 2016 Taco as soon as I can. My commute is killing my wallet right now, and I no longer tow anything heavier than a set of jet skis. Our camper is permanent on our own property up in the woods, and we are trading it in for a new one, a destination model. The dealer is going to take our old one, and set up the new one.

The new Tacos are pretty much the same size as the old 2000 Tundra, so I'll be comfortable enough. The back roads I drive on my commute can be a little too tight for the Tundra.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey All,

Hate to revive an old post. I've got a 2002 Tundra TRD LTD v8 with 202,000 miles on it. The linkage from the gear shifter to the transmission rusted out and left me stranded in Maine this weekend. On the frame recall, the rust wasn't bad enough to replace, but they did the CRC solution. My mechanic replacing the linkage said the frame is getting near the end.

So, long story, my parking garage in Boston is not large enough to handle the new Tundras, so I'm thinking the current Tacoma is not far from the first generation Tundra so I'm leaning towards a Tacoma.

I'm looking to see how everyone feels about their Tacomas. Are there any issues in the 2017's? Did the frame rust matter get solved, or does that still plague Toyota?

Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I currently drive a 2012 TRD Off Road Dbl Cab with Flowmaster cat-back exhaust and TRD CAI and get 15.5-16.5 mpg in city and if I keep my foot out of it...18.0-18.5 on highway with the 5.7L My wife just bought the 2017 Tacoma Dbl cab with the V6 (4.0L) and so far am getting 22.5- 24.00 mpg in mixed driving...am considering the TRD CAI for her truck as well....sure help my Tundar breath better and increase HP....

Kev.

·
Locked in for life
1,118 Posts
Downsized from a 2009 Tundra TRD Offroad to a 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport. As you can see, it is not OEM anymore.

I don't frequent this page half (or even a tenth) of what i used to when I owned my 2000 Tundra, sorry. You can find complete build log either here or here

41 - 54 of 54 Posts