Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on the site for a while due to flat being B-U-S-Y lately, that and I'm too lazy to search previous threads for hours looking. My dilemma right now is that I've started to like the looks of the new Tundra. When they originally came out on the market a few months ago I wasn't really liking the new body style, however its slowly growing on me. I've test driven the top with all the goodies on it and was very impressed during the test drive... Hense my truck being lifted running the 35's, etc... it falls within the same fuel economy as the 5.7L Tundra from what I've understood. I've decided that if I ever indeed trade/sell my Tacoma for the new truck I'd wait until the suspension market catches up a bit knowing that I'd want a 6-8" lift with 20" wheels and XX size tires. My question is has anyone that has owned the 05-06-07 V6 Tacoma for a while swapped out for the newer Tundra and if so, the pros vs. cons on the swap. Would you have changed anything if you had to do it all over again, etc.. Your feed back please...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Man i am thinking of the same thing. i have a 06 tacoma and want the new tundra. I don't know if there giving me a good deal. The msrp is 33,000 and they are going to give it to me for 28,000. But there only giving me 19,000 for my tacoma which is only 6 months old and the msrp on it was 24,000. Anyone they will come down any more?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Man i am thinking of the same thing. i have a 06 tacoma and want the new tundra. I don't know if there giving me a good deal. The msrp is 33,000 and they are going to give it to me for 28,000. But there only giving me 19,000 for my tacoma which is only 6 months old and the msrp on it was 24,000. Anyone they will come down any more?
19k sounds really low to me. a few months ago, i thought about trading my taco in on a 06 tundra, and they offered me 21k for it, and its an 05.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hense my truck being lifted running the 35's, etc... it falls within the same fuel economy as the 5.7L Tundra from what I've understood. I've decided that if I ever indeed trade/sell my Tacoma for the new truck I'd wait until the suspension market catches up a bit knowing that I'd want a 6-8" lift with 20" wheels and XX size tires. My question is has anyone that has owned the 05-06-07 V6 Tacoma for a while swapped out for the newer Tundra and if so, the pros vs. cons on the swap. Would you have changed anything if you had to do it all over again, etc.. Your feed back please...
SMTRDSPORT,
If you lift a new Tundra 6-8", you will be looking at less than 10 mpg. I would stay with the Tacoma.
I know of two different persons that are getting less than 15 mpg avg w/new Tundras(stock) and they both told me that they wished that they hadn't purchased them with gas price increases. They really like the power of the 5.7l though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If I needed a full size truck I'd want a diesel. Since Toyota doesn't offer one I'd probably go with a Dodge Cummins. Heresy here but I know guys who regularly get better 22+ mpg with their full size Dodge Cummins when not towing and diesel is about 10% less than gasoline (around here anyway).

·
Registered
150 Posts
If I needed a full size truck I'd want a diesel. Since Toyota doesn't offer one I'd probably go with a Dodge Cummins. Heresy here but I know guys who regularly get better 22+ mpg with their full size Dodge Cummins when not towing and diesel is about 10% less than gasoline (around here anyway).
22+ MPG??? On an uncorked 12v Cummins, with a 6 speed, pure freeway with a tailwind. Maybe.

·
Registered
108 Posts
22+ MPG??? On an uncorked 12v Cummins, with a 6 speed, pure freeway with a tailwind. Maybe.
Gear it tall and the Cummins has the torque to pull 'em. 22 is not uncommon on those doing 60 on the freeway. I've heard of better, but also the newer ones do worse due to EPA so 22 on a new one is probably optimistic.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gear it tall and the Cummins has the torque to pull 'em. 22 is not uncommon on those doing 60 on the freeway. I've heard of better, but also the newer ones do worse due to EPA so 22 on a new one is probably optimistic.
Yea- - - - I have been a Cummins owner for the past 7 years and I have never got over 20 mpg with any of the Cummins that I have had.... With that being said, I have got 14 MPG towing a 12,000 pound trailer/junk that ANY gasser would have been getting 6-8mpg..... The Cummins is a great engine if you need it for the purpose it was built for. Daily driving and once a year towing is actually bad for the workhorse. They were made to pull and if I ever need another Full Size truck that will be what I will go back to. I have NEVER had a problem with any of the Cummins ENGINES** that I had. Now the Auto Tranny's (47re--48re) have both left me wishing for more/better! The NV5600 and the G56 6-Spd manuals are the only way to go. -------------- I test drove a auto Taco and it too wasnt up to par with what I expected from Toyota!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have an 06 taco and wish i had waited for the 07 tundra. gas mileage is only about 3-4 in the differnce for the 5.7 so I am drooling. I am going to wait for the 09 as there will will some tweaking on little things on the tundra.

and the HD tundra should be out by then.

·
Registered
459 Posts
There are times I could use a full-size, but no way. The new Tundra is fast and its nice, but its a tank. Too wide to fit down trails, Expensive, uses another 4 mpg vs. my Taco crew cab, no 6spd manual, way too much electronic nanny poop (VSC,TRAC,TMPS,A-TRAC), expensive minimum 18 wheels/tires. If I gotta tow a 10,000lb boat, I'll have the marina do it.

When gas hits $4+ a gallon, you'll see the Tundra guys (especially the suburbans that never haul anything) post "Anyone wish they got a Tacoma instead?".

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm going right now to trade my 2007 Tundra DC 2WD for a 2007 Tacoma DC 4WD. The Tundra is really just too big for my needs. Really think about how you're going to use the truck BEFORE you buy. :cry:
The 5.7 liter motor is badass tho. :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
When gas hits $4+ a gallon, you'll see the Tundra guys (especially the suburbans that never haul anything) post "Anyone wish they got a Tacoma instead?".
Wow, 6 days. Gotta ask TommyA, imagine you just got that Tundra, and your already gonna take a bath and get a Tacoma... Hope the dealer works w/ you fairly. See your going to 4wd from a 2wd, unless your off-roading alot down there, what makes you want to spend another 2 grand for 4wd?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got the Tacoma last night! The sales manager worked with me. I took a little hit as expected, but not too bad.

About the 4X4...I had traded in a Chevy 4WD for the Tundra. I just like having it. That was another mistake I made with buying the Tundra. It's not that I use 4WD all the time, but when I've needed it, I've REALLY needed it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been drooling also, that crew-max or whatever the dcab is called with the short bed looks really good, not to mention how roomy and nice the interior looks, I was thinking about trading.
Now I get 16.30mpg with the taco and if the Tundra is at 14-15mpg not much of a decrease, but after a lift, wheels and tires I'm scared to see 11-12mpg that's just ridiculous. It's a really nice truck though.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have an 06 taco and wish i had waited for the 07 tundra. gas mileage is only about 3-4 in the differnce for the 5.7 so I am drooling. I am going to wait for the 09 as there will will some tweaking on little things on the tundra.

and the HD tundra should be out by then.

I am with you, I bought an 07 Taco before the 07 Tundra came out but now I am drooling as well. I also want to wait a couple of years for a possible HD (maybe deisel -- Hino) or upgraded Tundra to match next F-150!

·
Registered
11 Posts
After two weeks with the Tacoma, I'm convinced I made the right choice trading the 07 Tundra. Make sure you take a nice, long test drive in an 07 Tundra if you're thinking of trading your Tacoma for one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
To those of you thinking of trading for a Tundra- KEEP THE TACOMA!

I'm getting 13 mpg with my 5.7 and wish I had gotten an '07 Tacoma v6.

Just think it over. I know I wish I had.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I traded in my 2002 Ranger Edge for my new 07 Tundra Crewmax. I love this truck! I am averaging about 15-16 mpg over about 8 tankfulls of gas. Not bad for a 5.7 liter 381 HP engine! This new Tundra is only 9 inches wider than my Ranger but a lot taller and longer. I really like the roominess and power of the mighty Tundra. I test drove a Taco but just was not impressed with the power. The engine made a bunch of noise but didn't provide a whole lot of get up and go. I would never trade in my new Tundra for a Tacoma....that's just nuts.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Local So Cal dealers are heavily discounting the Tundra Double Cab 4.7L V8 models. I see them advertised in the local paper every week for $23,995. I noticed the 4.7L is rated at 18 mpg highway, and the larger 5.7L is rated at 20 mpg. The brand new 6-speed auto tranny (old generation 5-speed with the 4.7L) on the 5.7L engine must be the reason. I love the new Tundra, but no real need for a full size truck, and the current high fuel prices are not helping. Toyota needs to offer a Turbo-Diesel engine option on the new Tundra ASAP. I would give the new Tundra a serious look if a more fuel efficient turbo-diesel engine option was available.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Take it from someone who couldn't wait to buy the all new 05 Tacoma, and then had to deal with all of the bugs. Give Toyota another year to work out any of the problems on the new Tundra before you buy one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts