Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is approaching oil change time again. And recently I spoke with an Amsoil dealer that has been for 35 years. We spoke at length about all the different lubricants and fluids that go into a vehicle. I my climate where I get as hot as 100 a few days a year, and as cold as -5 in the winter for a few days. But the average summer temps are in the mid 90's, and the average cold days in the winter are 0-15, both don't last that long, we get all 4 seasons here. I garage my truck every night and during the dead of winter when I start my truck in the morning it is about 60 degrees in the garage. The bulk of my driving is around town, highway as well as stop and go.

So to my question of does anyone use 0W-30 on their truck? In the coversation with the Amsoil guy I got the crash course on oil. And that 0W is the fastest flowing oil, so cold startups this would help the wear on the engine. And as long as my cooling system operated correctly I would never get hot enough to breakdown the oil. The other advantage would be a very marginal gain in economy. But my major consideration is the fact that I can go a year, or 25,000 miles before I would have to change the oil.

I was just curious if anyone uses this type of oil, and what your experience is with it.

· Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,600 Posts
I just switched from Mobil 1 5W-30 to their 0W-30 formulation after a ton of research.

Based on my investigations, it's the best of both worlds. It flows like a 0 weight in cold temps/cold startup, but acts exactly the same as any other 30W at operating temp in Mobil's arsenal. It has been developed since the original 5W-30 requirement by Toyota.

Bottom line: the 0W-30 gets you everything the 30W did, but offers a level of cold start protection not available when the 5W-30 was first formulated.

· Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Ditto what Remmy said. I've been using Mobil 1 0W30 in my Tundra and my wife's Santa Fe for over a year now, probably two. I went with for exactly the same reason you mention; faster flow to get where it needs to get and offer better protection in cold and warm weather. I've had oil analysis' done on the used oil and its come back with flying colors. My most recent analysis was done in April with just over 10K miles on the oil and they told me I could try for 12K between the next change as there was plenty of additive left.

If you get some time, check out the website Bob is the Oil Guy. That's where I got the information on oil that helped me make the decision to go to the 0W30.

John

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any input on him going 25,000 between oil changes with the 0w30?
That us what the high end Amsoil would get me. I drive about 15-17k per year. So if I followed their guidelines of the 25k or 1 year I would be fine. And if I am reading the discount correctly for being a preferred member this oil change would cost me about $67 and that includes shipping and the $10 fee for the 6 month period to be a preferred member. But then I would end up money ahead for the wife's vehicle as well. Not sure what I will end up doing. But am leaning towards the 0w-30. Wonder if it will quiet down the truck engine noise at idle.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

· Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,600 Posts
What about 0-20? Is 0-30 better than 0-20?
This isn't a question of "better". 20 weight motor oils are not specified for the Gen-1's 2UZFE 4.7L motor. The newer 4.6L and 5.7L Toyota motors now use an SAE 20 motor oil in accordance with narrower engineering tolerances.

· Registered
474 Posts
I just switched to 0W-30 Amsoil two changes ago, so far so good, always used Toyota filters, overall I have 95K on my 05. had used pennzoil 5W30 before & never used a drop, I've changed my amsoil at 10K & the dipstick shows were're down about 1/3 qt My dad gets a little break on price I've never shopped around after sales tax my bill is $80 for two 1 gallon containers

· Registered
141 Posts
Great timing to ask about this. I have been using Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 on my 2006 Tundra 4.7 DC 4WD. Since 10K miles, I have performed a Used oil analysis every 5K miles since then. See those results here: http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/btanchors/Tundra_UOA18.jpg

Anyway, all 18 of the Used Oil Analyses (UOAs) were performed on Mobil 1 5W-30EP 5W-30, I have established a solid baseline of performance.

Recently, however, Mobil 1 changed its formula when it reformulated to meet SN specs. Since that time, both in this Tundra, and my other Tundra, I do not feel that Mobil 1 has been performing as well. The Total Base number seems to degrade more quickly with the latest SN Mobil 1.

At the same time, I just added a fourth vehicle to my family's "fleet" - a 2010 Camry. Being familiar with Amsoil's products, I have made the decision to switch all 4 vehicles over to Amsoil. I believe their signature series should perform better than Mobil 1 in extended drains. My plan is to closely monitor the performance of the Amsoil and compare it to the baselines I established with the Mobil 1 analysis results. At that time I should be able to determine conclusively if the Amsoil performs better than the Mobil 1 in my applications. With four vehicles and a very busy household, I want to limit oil changes to one per year per vehicle, if I can.

Incidentally, two of my vehicles use 5W-30, and two use 0W-20. For the two 5W-30 vehicles, I plan to use the 0W-30 Amsoil. For the reasons mentioned above - better cold weather performance, and identical hot weather performance as the 5W-30.

· Registered
3,008 Posts
would it also be safe to run 0W-30 in a 3.4L V6 tundra since we only been talking about the 4.7L V8.

· Registered
3,008 Posts
Thank you Remmy. i probably try it on the next oil change.

· Premium Member
2,709 Posts
I would still go with the 0W30. I run that year round. The fact is that the majority of engine wear is at startup. There is NO engine oil that offers 100% protection at cold start, however I want one that will offer the MOST protection. Cold start doesn't mean starting in the cold weather, it means starting the truck before it's allowed to get to normal operating temps. Starting it up first thing in the morning when it's 80 degrees out is a cold start. 0W30 is going to flow faster and get to where it needs to be quicker than 5W30, however the engine is still experiencing wear due to a cold start even with the 0W30, maybe just not as much.

John

· Registered
834 Posts
I've been running Mobil1 0W-30 in all our vehicles ever since it first came out.

My 2004 Tundra

The 2001 Corvette I had and traded for a,

2008 G8 GT

My wifes 2006 Rav4.

M1 0W-30 meets GM's Corvette Spec oil and about every other spec out there. No real downside to it at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.