Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Nevermind.......:brushteeth:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You must be planning one hell of a project.

:becky: Just scouring for parts so I can eventually do the 4wd conversion. Its been hard trying to find '05-'06 specific parts since there arent alot of wrecked '05-'06 Tundras out there.

So far Ive managed to find a complete uncut engine harness w/ all the 4wd connectors off of a '06 DC, I got the radio bezel too w/ the 4wd switches. Ive found the 4wd transfer case ECU out of a '05 as well. Im trying to get the '05-'06 specific parts first then slowly get everything else.

Its going to take me awhile but Im in no hurry.

·
Registered
123 Posts
:becky: Just scouring for parts so I can eventually do the 4wd conversion.

Seriously, Your going to convert your 2WD into a 4x4?

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper just to trade it in and get a 4x4. Seems like a lot of work not to mention your going to Kill any kind of resale value of the truck.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seriously, Your going to convert your 2WD into a 4x4?

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper just to trade it in and get a 4x4. Seems like a lot of work not to mention your going to Kill any kind of resale value of the truck.

Of course itd be easier to trade it in, but Id loose money on my trade, probably $1-$2K, plus a 4wd is about $4K+ more than my 2wd for the year / mileage Im looking at. Add in the money Ive already spent on my 2wd such as the wheels, exhaust, (because I'll do the same to my 4wd) Im looking at spending $6K+ to sell / trade my 2wd to buy a 4wd. I know 100% I can do the conversion for around $3K, so Id save $3K+ doing the conversion. As far as resale goes, Im not doing any irreversible damage so if I ever need to sale I'll just swap everything back....but I dont plan on selling it so thats not a factor for me really.

The conversion looks pretty straight forward, everything bolts in, theres no welding or cutting of the frame etc. The wiring isnt all that complicated since I bought a complete uncut engine harness from a '06 DC, which mightve been premature if I find out my DC isnt prewired like the older 1st gens are. :facepalm:

We'll see....Im in no hurry getting the parts so it will probably take several months to do the conversion, if its even possible. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just noticed you have a 4wd DC, would you mind taking a pic of the 4wd ECU for me? :angel: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/195404-05-06-dc-4wd-transfer-case/

EDIT 2: :) Never mind, I found them.......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1st dibs on your wheels and step bars
:becky:, you really want those OEM side steps huh!

You have a '05 4wd, wheres the love from my DC brethren!!?? I need a pic of the 4wd ECU. :rolleyes:

EDIT: never mind, I found the 2-4wd ECU connectors. Toyota switched from a 1 plug to a 2 plug 4wd ECU in '05-'06, possibly in '04 too but the 4wd ECU part number for '04 DCs are different than the '05 & '06s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the middle of installed an RCD lift on a 2004 Tundra, the knuckles should be available in the next week. I don't know there is any difference in the 04, 05, 06 years. Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in the middle of installed an RCD lift on a 2004 Tundra, the knuckles should be available in the next week. I don't know there is any difference in the 04, 05, 06 years. Let me know if you are interested.

I apprciate the offer but Im going to pass, I meant to update the thread but just forgot.

Theres no difference in the '04-'06 spindles but by the time I buy the spindles, the hubs, bearings, seals, hub bolts etc. Itll be much cheaper for me just to buy the spindles with the hubs already attached from a salvage yard.

Thanks anyway though!! :tu:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts