Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a dealer yesterday. The parts guy told me if i change my steel wheels on my 2010 with aftermarket aluminum wheels the tire pressure sensors needs to be changed. Anyone experienced this? He said its something like $400 to change them and reprogram the computer. He said you cant disable it. Any cheap fix on this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was at a dealer yesterday. The parts guy told me if i change my steel wheels on my 2010 with aftermarket aluminum wheels the tire pressure sensors needs to be changed. Anyone experienced this? He said its something like $400 to change them and reprogram the computer. He said you cant disable it. Any cheap fix on this?
Discount tire changed mine out, I'm thinking for all 4 sensors it was under 150 this included the reprogram.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
If you had 5 spoke styled steel wheels, the sensor angle is different than the one that will fit your aluminum wheels. There is a kit that consists of 4 bands that clamp the sensor to the wheel. You will need to use standard valve stems as the sensor will no longer be mounted in the valve stem opening. You can also build a container out of PVC pipe, toss the sensors inside and pressurize it. There are threads detailing this process.
The band kits sell for about $60 online.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had stock steel wheels and I had them changed out for TRD ones. The lug nuts and sensors are different they have 2 different sensors only difference is the angle of the sensors. The steel wheel sensors will not fit the TRD wheels nor will the lugs. They tried to charge me around 450. My truck had couple hundred miles on it they wanted to charge me for new parts then resell my old parts I asked for my old parts back and they said they couldnt do that. I called BS and they finally ended up crediting me for my old parts then I paid the difference which was around 100 bucks.

Matt

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
of course you could just browse and search this forum...this very topic has been pretty much beat to death and all you ever wanted to know is here.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
of course you could just browse and search this forum...this very topic has been pretty much beat to death and all you ever wanted to know is here.
The website cannot display the page

HTTP 500
Most likely causes:

• The website is under maintenance.
  • The website has a programming error.
What you can try:

Refresh the page.

Go back to the previous page.

The website cannot display the page

I get a HTTP 500 internal server error about 95% of the time I do a search. If the function actually worked, I would recommend it more often, too. Since it doesn't, I offer constructive advice when I can, and often include links to threads.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
"Stay off my lawn!!"

·
Registered
179 Posts
what is wrong with asking the same question again something new may have been found and not posted and it it gives some members a chance to write, do a search, and therefore add to their post count.

·
Registered
422 Posts
repeat posts do get frustrating though. I try to be of help where I can, but it kills me when I see someone with a 2 post count and their new thread is "will these tires fit" or "what backspace" or "tpms light" or "which lift is best". If you just want to add to your post count - post on an existing thread. even if it's old, when you reply, it will bring the thread to the top and plenty of people will comment. I know I'm guilty too - just sayin...

·
Registered
149 Posts
just simply rotate the sensor 180 degree's. It will not mount flush up against the wheel like it did on the 18" styled steel wheels but it will work just fine. I have TRD's forged 22's and this is what I have done and no probs what so ever. The only difference is you must use a little extra caution when mounting/dismounting the tires as the sensor obviously sticks out a bit now. I have had it this way with no probs whatsoever for over a year and a half, and one new set of tires installed. Best of all its the cheapest of all the mentioned methods above.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
just simply rotate the sensor 180 degree's. It will not mount flush up against the wheel like it did on the 18" styled steel wheels but it will work just fine. I have TRD's forged 22's and this is what I have done and no probs what so ever. The only difference is you must use a little extra caution when mounting/dismounting the tires as the sensor obviously sticks out a bit now. I have had it this way with no probs whatsoever for over a year and a half, and one new set of tires installed. Best of all its the cheapest of all the mentioned methods above.
I considered that, but looking at the 2 sensors, I wasn't sure the tire would clear it in order to reach the bead. Do you work in a tire shop? (I noticed your location was Goodyear) Wondering if you did it yourself, or if you paid a shop to mount them. I'm going to pay to have my old ones dismounted, then mount the new ones in my garage. I already removed the sensors from my steelies. I have aluminum Toy wheels without sensors on it now. Just waiting for the rubber to wear down a little further before I make the swap. I'm all for using my old ones if they will work. Points sent.

·
Registered
195 Posts
So; I just did this swap. Had steelies and went to alloys. Instead of selling my old sensors, buying new ones or rebuilding my sensors etc... The simple fix is to spin the around, they don't sit flush on the rim, but it works fine and costs 0.00 (discount tire actually did this for me). Just make sure when you have your tires dismounted that the guy doing the work knows you did this as they can break the sensors.

AB

·
Registered
149 Posts
I considered that, but looking at the 2 sensors, I wasn't sure the tire would clear it in order to reach the bead. Do you work in a tire shop? (I noticed your location was Goodyear) Wondering if you did it yourself, or if you paid a shop to mount them. I'm going to pay to have my old ones dismounted, then mount the new ones in my garage. I already removed the sensors from my steelies. I have aluminum Toy wheels without sensors on it now. Just waiting for the rubber to wear down a little further before I make the swap. I'm all for using my old ones if they will work. Points sent.
Socal, I used to work in a tire shop and am still very good friends with the manager as we go to the sand dunes quite often, so they always let me come in an work on my own vehicle and etc.

Which is great cause I am super tedious about my vehicle and am always afraid someone will scratch a wheel or not clamp it properly, plus the TRD 22's have to be balance with a pin plate not a typical cone or you risk bending the little tabs in the center of the wheel.

But yes, I would feel confident having discount tire, or another reputable shop do the job, they will be aware the caution must be used when mounting the tire on the wheel and beading it up. Also just remember to remind whoever works on it in the future so the break the bead opposite the TPMS sensor and dismount it properly as not to catch the sensor, very easy if familiar with tire changing!

Feel free to send anymore questions! thanks for the points ! :tu: Oh and I do live in goodyear!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Socal, I used to work in a tire shop and am still very good friends with the manager as we go to the sand dunes quite often, so they always let me come in an work on my own vehicle and etc.
I figured as much.

Which is great cause I am super tedious about my vehicle and am always afraid someone will scratch a wheel or not clamp it properly, plus the TRD 22's have to be balance with a pin plate not a typical cone or you risk bending the little tabs in the center of the wheel.
I'm very picky, too. That's the reason I'll be mounting them myself. Last time I had a tire shop do it they jacked up a wheel.
But yes, I would feel confident having discount tire, or another reputable shop do the job, they will be aware the caution must be used when mounting the tire on the wheel and beading it up. Also just remember to remind whoever works on it in the future so the break the bead opposite the TPMS sensor and dismount it properly as not to catch the sensor, very easy if familiar with tire changing!
If they need to be dimounted for a flat repair, I'll tell the tire shop to unbolt and drop the sensor inside the wheel before breaking it down.
Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If they need to be dimounted for a flat repair, I'll tell the tire shop to unbolt and drop the sensor inside the wheel before breaking it down.
Thanks for all the input.
Excellent advice to whoever may be working on your truck, it will definitely prevent a broken sensor! If so looks like they'll be buying you a new(correct) one! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts