Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until today I was anticipating my Tundra Crewmax coming in as ordered. I had considred the Silverado til I test drove both. I ordered the Tundra and today saw the articles about the Toyota lawsuit settlement. Anyone else having second or third thoughts?

My other car is a 01' Highlander and two months ago and spent $500 to fix a sludge problem. Now I will have to try to get my money back from Toyota since that was the exact problem!

Anyone else have the same thoughts?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The 4.7 v8 is one of the most quality v8 out there I would expect the same kind of quality from the 5.7.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Keep up with the recomended or more oil changes and they shouldn't sludge. Toyota recomended (owners manual) to long of changes and thats what went wrong. I heard a few years ago that parafane based oils would sludge if left in to long (not sure that is true), so synthetics might be worth the cost in the long run. I am pretty sure I am going to switch because I like the extra cold start protection and for the high idle starts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe if you change your engine oil every 3,000 miles/3 mos (least) or 3,500/4mos (most) you should not experience any sludge problems with both regular/synthetic oils-from my experience. Of course, if you live in a world of stop and go every few seconds and traffic jams, synthetics oils is a plus and also frequently changing your oil/filter too.

According to complaints website, the owners said their owner manual on the Toyota/Lexus recommend changing oils every 7,500 miles-which i don't really don't recommend and seems way overdue:td: . My owner manual says every 5K or early depending on driving habit, but I believe sticking to 3,000mi/3mo (recommended) you shouldn't haven't any sludge problems from my experiences owning few toyota's w/ V6 and a Tundra V8-IMO.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have the 4.7 so I hope not to have the problem. I am going to use synthetics.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Until today I was anticipating my Tundra Crewmax coming in as ordered. I had considred the Silverado til I test drove both. I ordered the Tundra and today saw the articles about the Toyota lawsuit settlement. Anyone else having second or third thoughts?

My other car is a 01' Highlander and two months ago and spent $500 to fix a sludge problem. Now I will have to try to get my money back from Toyota since that was the exact problem!

Worry only if you don't do proper maintenance "oil changes" most critical with smaller engines.
I ran Dino oil for over 5 years changed it only twice a year and you can eat off my valve Assembly, anyone who feels its an issue should run synthetic oil like Pennzoil Platinum its under $3 at advance auto parts right now, and is very good stuff, I run synthetic now that my truck is paid off just because I have nothing better to do. It just wont break :cry: , at 37k I could run Dino oil without issues till the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Keep up with the recomended or more oil changes and they shouldn't sludge. Toyota recomended (owners manual) to long of changes and thats what went wrong. I heard a few years ago that parafane based oils would sludge if left in to long (not sure that is true), so synthetics might be worth the cost in the long run. I am pretty sure I am going to switch because I like the extra cold start protection and for the high idle starts.
Thats not completely true there was someone on BITOG that has a Toyota v6 he changes every 3k (with synthetic) even post his oil analysys results. He pulled his Valve covers and the pics he posted were terrible you would have needed a putty knife to scrape through this stuff. It was def. a poor engine design that let to that sludge thats why every mfg isnt having sludge probs.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ran Mobil 1 in my 03 Tundra with the 4.7. Changed the oil every 7.5k as recommended and never had any sludge problem. Some of the syn oils (Amsoil) can be run for 10k and more. I would recommend sticking with the manufacturer interval as long as the vehicle is under warranty. Running syn and changing prior to 5k is just a waste of money though.

·
Banned
223 Posts
Ran Mobil 1 in my 03 Tundra with the 4.7. Changed the oil every 7.5k as recommended and never had any sludge problem. Some of the syn oils (Amsoil) can be run for 10k and more. I would recommend sticking with the manufacturer interval as long as the vehicle is under warranty. Running syn and changing prior to 5k is just a waste of money though.
I have run my Acura for 150k miles on Mobil 1, changing the oil at 10k mile intervals once it was off of warranty. I have run my Dodge for 80k miles on Mobil 1 with 10k mile intervals once it was off warranty. No oil usage and no sludging at all on either vehicle.

Upon delivery of my new Tundra, it will be on Mobil 1 at the first oil change. Plan to run it like the others once it is off warranty.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have run my Acura for 150k miles on Mobil 1, changing the oil at 10k mile intervals once it was off of warranty. I have run my Dodge for 80k miles on Mobil 1 with 10k mile intervals once it was off warranty. No oil usage and no sludging at all on either vehicle.

Upon delivery of my new Tundra, it will be on Mobil 1 at the first oil change. Plan to run it like the others once it is off warranty.
I hear you man. But i've got 10 yr/100,000 warranty so it'll be a while before i can extend my drain intervals. One thing that ticked me off - the dealership where i bought the truck said they no longer except receipts of purchase as proof of oil changes. In the past, i have always done my own oil changes. Now they are saying you must have proof from a certified mechanic if there is an oil related failure. I'm still not sure what to do about this. I hate paying someone to do something that i can do better and cheaper myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thats not completely true there was someone on BITOG that has a Toyota v6 he changes every 3k (with synthetic) even post his oil analysys results. He pulled his Valve covers and the pics he posted were terrible you would have needed a putty knife to scrape through this stuff. It was def. a poor engine design that let to that sludge thats why every mfg isnt having sludge probs.
CLG, was this the older 3.0L V6 for (Camry, Avalon, RX300, ES300) ? I believe there was a recalled on it for "Blown/Leaking Headgasket". I know Toyota, majority of the time has excellent engine design but poor quality control-sometime. Few years ago, I did owned a 96 Camry V6 with 80K until sold - which had a recalled on "Blown/Leaking Headgasket" but it never happen yet, but last time I spoke to the buyer, he had 110K within 2 years ownership with no problems-yet.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The Highlander I just traded in against my new Tundra had the 3.0L engine in question. I received the letter from Toyota about the special policy adjustment on what they called "oil gelling".

Anyway, I never had a problem with that engine or anything else on that vehicle come to think of it.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
MilesToGo;642765. But i've got 10 yr/100 said:

The dealer does not choose the criteria for warranty, Toyota does.
Not exactly in violation of Magnuson-Moss warranty Act, and anybody can write out a receipt on an invoice. Very few engine failures are oil related anyway.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You guys worry WAY TO MUCH.. MY GOD!!!!

Every car and truck will have Problems, Don't be so Negitive

The Toyota Tundra is one of the BEST trucks running:tu:

·
Registered
214 Posts
You guys worry WAY TO MUCH.. MY GOD!!!!

Thank You! :tu:

As long as you change your oil a few times a year, you'll be fine. Those that have a "problem" with sludge build up is because they're not changing their oil when they should.

As for the dealer saying you can't change your own oil that's BS! You have EVERY right as a consumer to do the work yourself. As long as you can provide proof that you have purchased the oil/filter, they have no legitatement claim that you didn't do the work. Hell, you can pay someone to change it for you and have them say they did it but didn't.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Um, let me think. No.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
3k oil change intervals with synthetic and it sludged? not a chance.
Heres some links to a well maintained Toyota 3L v6.
What unsludged engines look like
I have no doubt that the v6 has something about it that cooks oil more than other engines or poor drain back, but if the oil is changed we wouldn't be talking about it. Some people think if they buy a Toyota they can run it in the ground.
One example in the link is an owner that could only provide proof of one oil change in a 49k mile car, some even had the original oil filter, I'm surprised that Toyota would even settle, they probably dint want to look like hardasses, this was a no win so they took the best way out from the legal wrangling, in the end this would show them in the best possible light.
More links to sludge pictures
Cleaning up a sludged engine - a short sequence

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I only started this post because Toyota settled the lawsuit and admitted there was a problem with their engines and oil sludge. They obviously didnt think it was a problem then and it took a lawsuit before they began taking care of their customers. That is what is worrying. I take good care of my Highlander and changed oil every 3K, and it still had the problem; that is what is troublesome. :mad:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts