Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, noob here on the forums, so first HELLO! Just wanted a few tips on what to take care of for my 100k mile tuneup. I have enough tools and experience to do almost everything on my own...so saving money is always a good thing!

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Mathew

05 4.7 V8 Tundra
Oil and air filter changed regularly

·
Registered
211 Posts
I believe there is tons of information regarding this here on the forum. But, definitely get the timing belt changed out now or as soon as possible. I would make that top priority over anything else. Also, install or have installed a new water pump, tensioners, thermostat and perhaps cam and crank seals while everything is already apart. You wouldn't want to pay the labor twice, or tear it all apart again if your doing it yourself, to replace these relatively cheap items should they fail before the next scheduled timing belt change.

Have you replaced the diff fluid (front and rear if 4wd) regularly. That should be done every 30k or so. Might not be a bad idea to have the tranny fluid flushed as well. They are touted as supposedly "maintenance free" requiring no fluid changes, but most here on the boards including me insist on performing complete fluid flushes, or at least a drain and fill every few thousand miles keeping in mind that with the drain and fill, you'll only be able to remove about 3-4 quarts of the total 12-16, so you would have to do it multiple times to get full benefit of fresh fluid throughout. I opted to have it flushed at the dealership at 70k miles for a cost of $200.

Clean the MAF sensor and throttle body if you haven't done that. I also replaced the PCV valve at around 100k. The original seemed to be working just fine, but I put a new one in anyways since its cheap. Spark plugs should be replaced. I would get those from the dealer or online if you can find them cheaper. Make sure you use the ones specified by Toyota. Either NGK or Denso iridiums. Don't use Bosch. A set of eight will probably run you around 80-90 dollars. Fresh power steering fluid along with a brake fluid flush wouldn't be a bad idea if those haven't been performed recently.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thorough ^ Very good advice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts