Toyota Tundra Forums banner

ARB Safari Snorkel Install

14K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  JonesR00 
#1 ·
My snorkel Install
(I take no responsibility for problems that can arise from This Install. Do at your own risk)

Do you want a
continuous install write up or do you guys want it all at once?

Ordered an ARB Snorkel system for the Landcruiser 100 series and an AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter. If needed I can produce part numbers.

At first look of the stock airbox i found caked dirt in the bottom of the box so I took it out and washed it. (This is a good time to clean you MAF sensor) There was substantial build up inside at the bottom of the box as I off-road almost every weekend.

There is a little hole at the bottom of the stock box, I am choosing to leave it unplugged for now.
As i Dont expect to be crossing too many rivers right now because of the very high water levels i dont want my truck to float down the river. But as I get into river season I will plug the hole.
All Cleaned up now waiting for it to dry then I'l install it before i leave for class tomorrow morning

Make sure after your done cleaning that the water completely dries up before re-installing, you dont want any water making its way into the engine.

Let me know if you want the pics and write up all at once or in segments as i do them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: JonesR00 DIY Snorkel Thread.

I would say steps as you do it....Then when you're done, if you have to you could always edit and condense it into one post.
I was gonna document my interior stripdown and a few other included things. I THOUGHT I took a lot of pictures of everything...But then when reassembly came along, I realised I had NOT taken nearly enough pics.
So take lots of pics!...Then take even MORE!

Either way, I'm definately watching this thread! :D

#3 ·

I would say steps as you do it....Then when you're done, if you have to you could always edit and condense it into one post.
I was gonna document my interior stripdown and a few other included things. I THOUGHT I took a lot of pictures of everything...But then when reassembly came along, I realised I had NOT taken nearly enough pics.
So take lots of pics!...Then take even MORE!

Either way, I'm definitely watching this thread! :D
Ok, Il take a bunch. Im gonna have to get a couple people to help me, one to take pics and make sure the snorkel is level, and one to help me hold the snorkel as it is being bolted to the body. It seems like it should be fairly straight forward. My biggest concern is getting the splash guard off without braking all those rivets. I also wanna give some props to Motochain His first write up gave me the idea to do this, and he is a good source of information if anyone needs help. I can also answer some questions and should be able to answer most questions when im done with the install.
Also Snorkel delivery as well as the air filter was moved up so it should be here tomorrow night. With any luck i might be done by Sunday.

#4 ·

Alright day two and I did absolutely nothing. I went to harbor freight and they have a 4-1/4" hole saw but not a 4-1/2". So im gonna try my luck with Walmart then a local Mill-yard that sells power tools. If that doesn't work im going to my overpriced neighborhood ace hardware. On a more slightly productive side of things I found that my antenna was so badly corroded that when i tried to un-tighten it it crumbled to pieces.

This is how it started

And this is what happened.

So I decided that I am no longer going to use the radio... Just my iPod, but that's what i do 95% of the time anyways. I'm gonna just cut the antenna and trace the cord back to my deck and disconnect it and its going by by. Maybe one day il visit a pick and pull and get a new one.
Snorkel comes tomorrow night. Il do a mock up and then il most likely get the install done on Saturday.

#5 ·

The snorkel and filter came today. I did all the mock ups and it should be installed by the end of the tomorrow.

If you guys need help opening the box I have pictures of that too. But if thats the case you may want to take the truck to a shop for install! :rolleyes:
Take a knife and cut along the tape... Haha

Heres the new filter versus the old stock filter.

Heres the original Mockup... But i think im gonna move it a bit tomorrow Just to make it look a little better.

Now to the challenging part. Remove the Splash guard. Since I have a 13 year olod truck these rivets break easily, I broke 4 of them cause i got angry at them. :eek:

I took a scrw driver and bent the rivets so that i could slide them through the holes. Worked for the inside rivets really well and the fender side rivets were really hard to get off. Il upload a picture of that later.
This is what it should look like with the splash guard off.

once again this is the stock air duct.

Il post up the rest of the pictures tomorrow as it is really dark right now and i cant get clear pictures.
I am also disconnecting the factory antenna tomorrow aswell.
Hope this makes sense to you guys.

#6 ·

So after about 8 hoyrs of work it is done. This was one of the biggest PITAs EVER! If you do this I suggest taking off the fender. I did it with the fender on, wich was easier to make the cut. But the plumbing proved to be a lot harder than i expected.
So here we go!
Traced the circle so I knew where the drill was cutting.

Pop the first hole with a step up, down to a 1/4"

I dont have photos but get the hole saw and cut out the circle for the snorkel body.

Pop the rest of the holes.

This was all cut up. I found one of my holes was slightly off. But doesn't seem to effect the stability of the snorkel.

Apply the thread lock and put the screws into the snorkel body.

Then apply sealant to the snorkel intake tube. So that its waterproof.

Its too dark for good pictures. But i will post some tonight and more tomorrow.

#7 ·

#9 ·

Thanks man. Lets just hope it works as good as it looks.

#10 ·

Looks great! Thanks for pictures, that helps. After cutting the hole, which seems scary but not hard, what took so long after that? Just don't go and sinking your truck now lol!

#11 ·

The hole wasn't too hard. The template didn't seem to wind up correctly. I had to drill two holes extra, and I also had a problem with the loctite. And with the fender on there its really tight. So its very hard to manuver the tube (elbow)inside to get it around the stock airbox and the snorkel.

#13 ·

Also I have the Milwaukee 114mm hole saw and mandrill if anyone wants to buy it. I payed $70 but il sell em for $45??? Price is negotiable. Hope this thread help and or is interesting.

#14 ·

Let me know what you all think.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tire

here you go higway

#15 ·

Takes balls to drill the fender, nicely done. Don't go off Apimpdad style and trying to prove your Tundra is a submarine. :devil:
If you do, be sure to take pics like he did.

#16 ·

Takes balls to drill the fender, nicely done. Don't go off Apimpdad style and trying to prove your Tundra is a submarine. :devil:
If you do, be sure to take pics like he did.
il try not to sink it. I know that my electrical isn't waterproof and all the breathers other than the rear arnt extended. So I don't plan on being the skipper of my truck. I like it running the way it its!:D

#17 ·

Sorry I didnt get these up early today. Went out for a hike.

Hope you guys liked the thread.

#18 ·

Oh I forgot to tell you one thing. When drilling the fender if you live at an apartment complex where people don't really know you make sure you have your car doors open. Apparently someone called the cops on me. The cop showed up stoped his car looked at me with a snorkel in my hand and a drill in the other then drove away. Also i didnt get yelled at by my landlord for working on my car (he has a strict policy against it, i think he thought the snorkel looked cool.) I think im gonna like this snorkel my truck gets alot more attention with it on there. Even girls, i guess you dont need a dog or a baby to start conversations, just buy a snorkel. lol :D

#20 ·

Yah no problem. I should have them on here by the end of the day. It follows the body pretty well. And if you really plan it out well Im sure you can get it to sit even more flush.

#21 ·

Here you go pirates712 let me know if you want more.

on the dashboard looking directly at it.

From the passengers seat

This is the worst spot and you cant even tell when you look at it.

#23 ·

Wow... how did I miss this?

Thanks for the pictures! I must have missed them being posted because it was near the end of the semester and I had a lot of work to finish up. How big would you say the largest gap is? 1"? More? I was wondering if some of that adhesive-backed foam could be used to fill in the gaps.

#24 ·

The gaps are very small. And that is due to where I places the snorkel. If you were to take more time and measure everything out im sure you can get it to sit flush. I would say the gap is about a 1/4 of an inch and barely noticeable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.