Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where to start? Ordered a sahara winch bumper, took 5 long weeks to get it from Australia to Renton Wa. then 4WPW in Compton Ca then over to Vegas.
Got up early this am made a mad dash to vegas to retrieve it.
Box had the correct number in black ink on the box.
Got home unloaded layed eveything out.
Removed the original bumper from the truck
Started in trying to mount the bumper brackets to the frame. No way Jose were they gonna work....
Then started investigating and discovered the welded tag inside the bumper reflected the wrong part #! Whoops!
Dawned on me that the powder coating was darker than expected.
started looking at the boxes that I broke down and saw 2 different part #'s.
Got on phone with ARB tech support and they really showed some support. The individual looked at the pics I uploaded to him called me back several times with questions. Finally they seem to think a shipping malfunction happened in Australia.
Long story short is they have some on the water now. Not scheduled to dock until the 13th April :(
Evidently 4wpwa has a couple in there warehouse but they are sold and I can not touch those.:(
So ARB will direct ship to me then after I get er installed then they will issue a call tag where I throw everything back in the boxes tape er up and away it goes to the scratch and dent sale.
So sometime around the end of April I may have my bumper.
Does not look like any recourse for my time spent today.

So yes I shoulda woulda coulda got one completly custom fabricated and had er done by now, but I am commited to geting it done.

The good side is maybe I can get springs here before the bumper arrives again.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Where to start? Ordered a sahara winch bumper, took 5 long weeks to get it from Australia to Renton Wa. then 4WPW in Compton Ca then over to Vegas.
Got up early this am made a mad dash to vegas to retrieve it.
Box had the correct number in black ink on the box.
Got home unloaded layed eveything out.
Removed the original bumper from the truck
Started in trying to mount the bumper brackets to the frame. No way Jose were they gonna work....
Then started investigating and discovered the welded tag inside the bumper reflected the wrong part #! Whoops!
Dawned on me that the powder coating was darker than expected.
started looking at the boxes that I broke down and saw 2 different part #'s.
Got on phone with ARB tech support and they really showed some support. The individual looked at the pics I uploaded to him called me back several times with questions. Finally they seem to think a shipping malfunction happened in Australia.
Long story short is they have some on the water now. Not scheduled to dock until the 13th April :(
Evidently 4wpwa has a couple in there warehouse but they are sold and I can not touch those.:(
So ARB will direct ship to me then after I get er installed then they will issue a call tag where I throw everything back in the boxes tape er up and away it goes to the scratch and dent sale.
So sometime around the end of April I may have my bumper.
Does not look like any recourse for my time spent today.

So yes I shoulda woulda coulda got one completly custom fabricated and had er done by now, but I am commited to geting it done.

The good side is maybe I can get springs here before the bumper arrives again.
least ARB gave you some good customer service! sucks about the wait though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That kinda sucks. I had my bumper dropped shipped to my work. It came from a warehouse in LA some where. It bolted right up. I love it, a quick hint, The top plate that covers the winch on the bumper, I welded the nuts to the under side of the bumper, This way you do not have to try and jam your hand in there to hold the nuts while trying to unbolt the bolts. Makes it real nice.and easy to remove the cover.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You will really like it once it's installed and done. I love mine. I too had trouble. I recieved two left brackets, no right side. I called ARB support. They over nighted me another left side bracket. Now I have three! Called again and I received a RH unit and everything went together correctly. I get a lot of complements on my bumper and the truck in general. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got mine put on a few weeks ago. I think after the bumper was ordered it took about 6 weeks to get. I got in a slight fender bender back in December and after looking into what was available for aftermarket bumpers I decided on the Sahara Bar. I had a WAAG brush guard on my truck and it did more damage to the truck than if I didn't have it because it wrapped around the side of my truck and took out both fenders.

When all was said and done, the insurance company ended up giving me $100 back to get the ARB bumper. I love the looks on it and how solid the thing seems. After having it installed, I was fairly irritated that apparently the design of the thing was changed and none of the websites advertising it for sale had an updated photo of the new one.

I have a 2000 and my fog lights won't fit into the new bumper. I called ARB about this and they said that they sell the IPF fog lights for about $300. I have searched the forums here and was wondering if anyone knows of a fog light that will fit into the newer version of the Sahara bar besides the IPF?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow that does suck! It will give you some time though to beef up the front suspension. The ARB Bumper will sag the OEM springs especially if you start adding a winch and lights. I went with coilovers and will soon be getting Camburg A-Arms. Since you also have a newer Tundra (2006) you may also have to trim some body metal near your headlights to keep the bumper from having too much of a gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the headlights. ARB did not state this modification work in the instructions that came with my bumper.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The instructions for the unit I did receive were just like you stated very Vauge not good at all.

Upon discussion with Tech support they advised the reason the 2005 was listed and the 2006 was not was that there is actually some body change in between the 1 year.

The mounting is the same though.

Do you have pictures of the area you are refering to? Is a pinch weld or a grinder item?

I am in contact with www:coilsprings.com
understand the originals are like 650 lbers heading towards 800 lbers. bumper,winch additional front hoop on the bumper is all adding up to HEAVY!

Once again like it always happens, modify a item and it snowballs big time.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I have had my Sahara Bar for about 3 years. I had to trim some sheet metal to get it to fit, but other than that the install was easy. I am not sure if the Sahara Bar I have is different than the new ones, but I have the Hella Lights on mine.

Scott

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess in another month I will get to find out the who what and where. Will take pics along the way for those not so clear areas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts