Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a small 2 channel amplifier. The smallest i can find with reasonable wattage is this one:

Arc Audio

in searching the internet, seems lots of motorcycle folks like this arc mini (class h) amplifier. any of you have experience with arc amplifiers?

fyi, others swear buy elfaudio:

http://www.elfaudio.com/mtAmps.html

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I've always heard good things about the Arc amps, but no direct experience.

I run an older version of this amp (L40x2) for my rear doors. Very good quality and they are very underrated as well. Mine is rated at 40 per side @ 4 ohms, but easily does 70 clean watts per side.

Product 1

·
Registered
404 Posts
I am looking for a small 2 channel amplifier. The smallest i can find with reasonable wattage is this one:

Arc Audio

in searching the internet, seems lots of motorcycle folks like this arc mini (class h) amplifier. any of you have experience with arc amplifiers?

fyi, others swear buy elfaudio:

elfAudio
It's funny that you wrote this because I was reading a thread on this exact topic yesterday. The Arc mini's and the Elfs both come out of the same factory and both are designed by Robert Zeff. The only difference seems to be that some of the components on the boards are different, although both board layouts are the same. Go to the forum at diymobileaudio.com and you can find a wealth of information on the topic. It made me get the idea that either Arc audio was kind of shady or that Ubuy (the factory) illegally ripped off their design.

-Wes

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it is interesting thread. my take is Zeff's company designs the amps, then arc and elf buy a license to the design and contract with ubuy to build them. clearly, nothing illegal going on because it is extremely easy to get a restraining order and one has not ever been issued since both companies are still openly selling the product. this zeff guy apparently designs for lots of folks (clarion, arc, elf & zapco are ones I know of).

it does seem that lots of motorcycle folks like arc and elf because of their compact size. the arc manual is more professional and talks about all the ways to hook up the unit, etc. the elf manual was more thrown together and doesn't even mention speaker level inputs and auto-sensing turn-on even though the product has those features.

i was reading an article by zeff on amplifier design. the arc/elf amp is a class h amp. he describes it as a class d amp driving a class a/b amp.

·
Registered
404 Posts
This is now my new favorite budget amp: Clarion APX4361 Multi-channel Amps Car Amplifiers Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

I purchased one and it should be delivered today so I'll let you know what I think about it. Robert Zeff designed and many say it's basically the same thing as the Arc KS300.4 for about half the cash! I was stuck on the Zed amps but for $190 instead of $600 it's hard to pass up and not too bad of a gamble since so many people seem happy with it. I'll be sending 2x90W to my front components and then 320W to my subs.

-Wes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts