Discussion Starter #1
Are after Market Exhaust worth the expense as in fuel saving more hp

and should i opt for custom or premade

2010 tundra 4x4 5.7

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
918 Posts
10 HP you will probably never feel. Maybe 1-1.5 mpg improvement if you can continue to be gentle with it, but the financial savings really only counts once the fuel savings pay for the mod. Do the math, depending on what system you put on this could take several months to a year before you even go beyond breaking even. All for anywhere from 500 to 1700 bucks up front. You decide if it seems worth it.

That being said, I had one purely for sound on my Dodge and once I decide on the setup (Corsa Sport vs. Borla) will have one on my crewmax.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Try the SEARCH feature,there are plenty of threads on most all of the "box kits"
TS also has an Exhaust forum full of opinions ;)
YouTube also has plenty of sound clips of the "box kits"

Aftermarket mufflers on this platform is all about how you "PREFER" your truck to "SOUND"

You want good gas mileage? keep your foot out of the fan :eek:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Agreed with Negra. I never saw any increased in gas and not a drop in horsepower... it's a 6000 lb truck (mine at least).

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I doubt that you will see any difference in MPG. HP a little.
But the sound is worth every penny:D

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have read there is a loss in low end torque with most exhausts, to me low end torque is the most important thing, I my Tundra to tow, stock for me.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
If your mainly looking for more power its a waste of money. Although I will say that a nice set of dualies is a huge upgrade visually from the limp pipe that comes from the factory.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have read there is a loss in low end torque with most exhausts to me low end torque is the most important thing, I my Tundra to tow, stock for me.
Well.....here’s why:

What happens is the OEM components are designed to work together and produce a generic powerband that is pleasing to the masses. The problem occurs when some knucklehead decides to put an aftermarket exhaust....or....aftermarket CAI....or other component to increase the HP/Torque of the vehicle.

The fact is that everything works in a package, and while some gains in performance can be noted by changing a single component most of the time the gains are nominal. This is because if just change the exhaust....with larger primaries....and reduced back pressure doesn’t mean the engine can take IN any more air.....so....now you need a new intake manifold and lower restriction air cleaner....and slightly more lift on the cam....and increased pressure to the FI, ECU tuning...and.....so on and so on.

You will see articles from manufactures that claim 25% more HP with these headers (*or other component). This is not necessarily a lie....but its not true either.

Lets take a SB chev 350 race engine with the best of everything. This engine makes 600 HP with race fuel. Now lets take off the performance headers and install OEM......all of a sudden you LOOSE 25% of the engines HP. This is how they claim a gain of 25% but you can bet the bank that installing these headers on a stock motor wont ever gain 25%.

The reason you can loose some torque with aftermarket exhaust is because you loose some cylinder scavenging. This can be remedied by cam timing (or different cams) and increased volume into the cylinders by freeing up restrictive intakes, ports, larger valves ect.

Will you see an increase in HP with a full aftermarket exhaust.....sure....will it sound better....I think so.....will you see the full benefit without building all the other engine components....hell no.
You can bet with all the other engine work, with more air going into the motor you will see higher TQ levels with the aftermarket pipes.

~JH

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
You will lose low end torque if the tubing diameter of the cat back is too large. My MagnaDrone system did improve my ET slightly but all the increase was at high rpms. On the bottom it would barely break the tires loose after the install, whereas the stock exhaust could peel rubber all over the place. The MagnaDrone system uses 2 1/2" tubing which is much larger than the 2 1/8" of the stocker. I ripped out the MagnaDrone system and replaced it with a Borla, which has 2 1/4" tubing, and voila...the torque is back. :heh:

·
Registered
590 Posts
I gained 2.5 mpg's with the flowmaster super 44 diamond plate steel muffs and volant cai, but i've added more performance. Aftermaket will help with hp, gas, and sound.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The sweet rumble of a 400hp v8 is worth the price.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Well.....here’s why:

What happens is the OEM components are designed to work together and produce a generic powerband that is pleasing to the masses. The problem occurs when some knucklehead decides to put an aftermarket exhaust....or....aftermarket CAI....or other component to increase the HP/Torque of the vehicle.

The fact is that everything works in a package, and while some gains in performance can be noted by changing a single component most of the time the gains are nominal. This is because if just change the exhaust....with larger primaries....and reduced back pressure doesn’t mean the engine can take IN any more air.....so....now you need a new intake manifold and lower restriction air cleaner....and slightly more lift on the cam....and increased pressure to the FI, ECU tuning...and.....so on and so on.

You will see articles from manufactures that claim 25% more HP with these headers (*or other component). This is not necessarily a lie....but its not true either.

Lets take a SB chev 350 race engine with the best of everything. This engine makes 600 HP with race fuel. Now lets take off the performance headers and install OEM......all of a sudden you LOOSE 25% of the engines HP. This is how they claim a gain of 25% but you can bet the bank that installing these headers on a stock motor wont ever gain 25%.

The reason you can loose some torque with aftermarket exhaust is because you loose some cylinder scavenging. This can be remedied by cam timing (or different cams) and increased volume into the cylinders by freeing up restrictive intakes, ports, larger valves ect.

Will you see an increase in HP with a full aftermarket exhaust.....sure....will it sound better....I think so.....will you see the full benefit without building all the other engine components....hell no.
You can bet with all the other engine work, with more air going into the motor you will see higher TQ levels with the aftermarket pipes.

~JH
You will lose low end torque if the tubing diameter of the cat back is too large. My MagnaDrone system did improve my ET slightly but all the increase was at high rpms. On the bottom it would barely break the tires loose after the install, whereas the stock exhaust could peel rubber all over the place. The MagnaDrone system uses 2 1/2" tubing which is much larger than the 2 1/8" of the stocker. I ripped out the MagnaDrone system and replaced it with a Borla, which has 2 1/4" tubing, and voila...the torque is back. :heh:
Right on with these two quotes! The package and sizing of tubing counts for sure! I have noticed considerable HP gains by adding the TRD CAI, Borla Dual Exhaust, UNICHIP for tuning, and the DT LT Headers to be installed in a week (sheduled to do on Sunday) or two (Unichip will be back correctly mapped for Headers addition).

By the way, what Mr. Creosote says has been 100% correct from what I have seen and heard..........

·
Registered
315 Posts
You will lose low end torque if the tubing diameter of the cat back is too large. My MagnaDrone system did improve my ET slightly but all the increase was at high rpms. On the bottom it would barely break the tires loose after the install, whereas the stock exhaust could peel rubber all over the place. The MagnaDrone system uses 2 1/2" tubing which is much larger than the 2 1/8" of the stocker. I ripped out the MagnaDrone system and replaced it with a Borla, which has 2 1/4" tubing, and voila...the torque is back.

This is because the Borla was closer to OEM. I am confident however that with a stroker crank, higher CR, cams, intake, NOS the larger exhaust would make more HP and TQ over the Borla.

Think of it like this......

If you put 22" wide drag slicks on a car with a POS OEM 4 banger it will go slower than it would if it had the stock 6" tires.....this is because it doesnt have the motor to need the traction and it takes more HP to turn the heaver 22".
But when you have 1600HP the car will go faster with the big rubber vs the smaller 6"....because now it needs it.

By the way, what Mr. Creosote says has been 100% correct from what I have seen and heard..........
No argument here.

~JH

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Yes brother, in fact I was thinking of keeping the MagnaDrone system around in case I decided to get a supercharger, but MagnaDrone runs their tailpipes between the frame and leaf springs. It clanks over even the smallest bumps, and makes sparks over larger ones.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
The pipe diameter is definitely the key factor to preserving torque. I'd never go over 2.25 inch piping on these engines as the factory calibration will not support more exhaust airflow.

BTW, There's something to be said about the fact the stock exhaust can support the TRD blower's output gains with all it's 2 inch restrictions.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
BTW, There's something to be said about the fact the stock exhaust can support the TRD blower's output gains with all it's 2 inch restrictions.
Yes but I can't be having magnets sticking to my tailpipes. :D

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Yes but I can't be having magnets sticking to my tailpipes. :D
I thought that's where you put your hide-a-key :D

Stock exhaust tubing is 309 SS but the flanges and hangers are all mild steel.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Remember the ultimate exhaust is used on the ultimate HP/.TQ combination. This would be the exhaust used on top fuel-nitromethane rail-funny dragsters.

These engines make the most HP/TQ vs. CI around, and they have huge individual 1.5' long tubes per cylinder.....and nothing more.
(also....un related but they are intentionally faced upwards and back because the exhaust provides enough down force to make a significant improvement in traction.....no ****).

****ALSO****

People talk about headers and CAI as the end all be all for these engines, this is because they are reliably available and relatively inexpensive for the most part. *baring superchargers-turbos.

If an aftermarket manufacture of HP cams made a set of performance cams for this engine......it would be the biggest bang for the buck improvement in HP available.

As crazy as you may think this is.....this engine is capable of making over 900 HP without supercharging (based on potential VE and displacement). {not easy, but could be done,with race gas}
So a 10 HP gain is a drop in the bucket in the world of what could be achieved.

~JH

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Remember the ultimate exhaust is used on the ultimate HP/.TQ combination. This would be the exhaust used on top fuel-nitromethane rail-funny dragsters.

These engines make the most HP/TQ vs. CI around, and they have huge individual 1.5' long tubes per cylinder.....and nothing more.
(also....un related but they are intentionally faced upwards and back because the exhaust provides enough down force to make a significant improvement in traction.....no ****).

****ALSO****

People talk about headers and CAI as the end all be all for these engines, this is because they are reliably available and relatively inexpensive for the most part. *baring superchargers-turbos.

If an aftermarket manufacture of HP cams made a set of performance cams for this engine......it would be the biggest bang for the buck improvement in HP available.

As crazy as you may think this is.....this engine is capable of making over 900 HP without supercharging (based on potential VE and displacement). {not easy, but could be done,with race gas}
So a 10 HP gain is a drop in the bucket in the world of what could be achieved.

~JH
Now, you say 900 with forged internals and such, right? Some guy posted on here way back before that this motor really isn't capable of doing over .... let's say, about 600 or so hp without some serious implications...

He had torn down the engine and might even ahve some pics up here. Lextreme or something like that is his username.

-rockstate

·
Registered
121 Posts
Very good topic.
Here is one that has been making the rounds.. doing some research on it and trying to figure out what to install myself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts