Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Is there some good garage method to verify if my engine mounts are done? I am chasing some vibrations for last 2 years, replaced already bunch of suspension components and tires and still nothing. It happens randomly around 65mph. Had my wife go through the gears but engine do not even move slightly. Had frame replaced 4 years ago and they left old mounts. They definitely looks kind of shabby. But it is bigger job so do not want to jump the guns. The only reason I suspect mounts is because sometimes when I stop at the stop light I can almost feel some weight shifting in truck front to back. Thanks

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4
132 Posts
A broken engine mount would vibrate when the engine would hit a specific RPM and you would feel it through each gear when that RPM is reached. What you describe is when a wheel vibrates when it reaches a certain RPM.

I would check the barrels of the wheels (behind the spokes) to see if there isn't some concreted dirt clump or an old wheel weight. It could also be a damaged/dented wheel.

Another check for a broken engine mount is to have your wife rev the engine while in park and see if it moves excessively. If it torques over more than an inch or so then a mount is bad.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Watch the engine for excessive movement when the engine is revved up. I would start with the easy one, rear trans mount. Rear mount (trans) can be visually inspected from under the truck. Does the rubber look dry or cracked? pry around it with a pry bar, and you should be able to see clearly if it needs replacing. Check You Tube I know there is a video about changing the motor and trans mounts. A pain, but not to difficult to change out. Chap

·
Registered
223 Posts
My sequoia feels like that at a stop sometimes. It is like a small clunking sound, right as you come to a stop. Almost like something is still moving forward under the truck, even though it's stopped. I've read on here that it could be the yoke on the driveshaft. I grease it up from time to time and it seems to help a bit. That could just be in my head, though. Mine has been doing it since I got it at around 335k and it doesn't seem to have caused any issues otherwise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I get the same shift/clunk at stops, specifically hard stop.
If I stop hard and keep my foot on the brake, as soon as I let off the brake and start to move even the slightest I get that clunk. Nearest thing I can attribute it to is driveline slop, most likely in the driveshafts. If it were engine mounts the clunk would be felt immediately after stopping and the forward momentum has shifted back, bit it doesn't.

My sequoia feels like that at a stop sometimes. It is like a small clunking sound, right as you come to a stop. Almost like something is still moving forward under the truck, even though it's stopped. I've read on here that it could be the yoke on the driveshaft. I grease it up from time to time and it seems to help a bit. That could just be in my head, though. Mine has been doing it since I got it at around 335k and it doesn't seem to have caused any issues otherwise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get the same shift/clunk at stops, specifically hard stop.
If I stop hard and keep my foot on the brake, as soon as I let off the brake and start to move even the slightest I get that clunk. Nearest thing I can attribute it to is driveline slop, most likely in the driveshafts. If it were engine mounts the clunk would be felt immediately after stopping and the forward momentum has shifted back, bit it doesn't.
So I was poking around this weekend. And I found that every time I switch the gear between drive or reverse the rear suspension goes down when in R or up when in D (shock will extend or retract by 1/4 of inch). I don't think it's normal. Is it possible that vibration is caused by worn shocks, I mean I'm sure it's possible, I guess I'm looking for an opinion. The only question is going up and down caused only by worn shocks or is there something else going on? In my head it's bad shocks? I will try to upload video I got. Thanks

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4
132 Posts
So I was poking around this weekend. And I found that every time I switch the gear between drive or reverse the rear suspension goes down when in R or up when in D (shock will extend or retract by 1/4 of inch). I don't think it's normal. Is it possible that vibration is caused by worn shocks, I mean I'm sure it's possible, I guess I'm looking for an opinion. The only question is going up and down caused only by worn shocks or is there something else going on? In my head it's bad shocks? I will try to upload video I got. Thanks
Someone mentioned earlier about a worn out transmission mount. I've also seen suggestions about re-greasing the shaft splines going into the transmission.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not think it's transmission mount, it looks really good and there is no play in tranny when shifting through the gears.

It's a video of my left rear shock. First it is rolling in R, then I put in D around 7th second

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Someone mentioned earlier about a worn out transmission mount. I've also seen suggestions about re-greasing the shaft splines going into the transmission.
So I went and greased up all the fittings on my driveshaft and slip yoke. Also replaced my rear shocks, I wanted to do it regardless. So when I was under the truck I was poking around and found something Interesting. There is some play in my T case. It also makes clicking noise. I am attaching short video. Let me guys know what you think. Is that something normal? I don't have any comparison. Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
In my experience, most driveshafts have just a bit of play in them. Kind of like that. I've only ever had high mileage vehicles, though. Maybe someone with more knowledge will comment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts