Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new blood here. This is a great site, I'm glad I found it, I think. Not sure I'm glad about what I did a few days ago now that I have spent a few hours reading, but maybe someone can help here.

I recently traded in my '95 4Runner for a '01 Sequoia. I bought the 4Runner with 72k miles, and 55k miles later and just over 6 years of ownership, my total repairs performed (not including tires) was less than $250. Ball joints, anti-lock sensor, and 1 muffler. I needed something stronger to pull my 3200# boat, so the 3.slow had to go. Driving 200 miles each way, twice a month to the lake, with the 3.0 screaming at 5600 rpm up every hill, and slurping a gallon every 6 minutes will doing it, I knew a V8 was an inevitable purchase. After driving several Sequoias, I found a mint '01 with 71k miles and hardly a scratch on it. Interior was showroom perfect. Eight seats, we had to have it.

Not that I didnt research Sequoias. Consumer reports, various opinion sites, you name it. Great reviews, reliable, so much room. So I got it, felt good about it, and now I am here. Sweet Henrietta what did I just do? I found this site, and in an hour's reading I learned that I can expect:

1. The back window, which works fine now, wont tomorrow, or some day after that.

2. The door handle, which works fine now, wont tomorrow, or some day after that.

3. My exhaust manifold(s) are going to crack, requiring replacement either with new stock pieces, or at least $500 aftermarket headers.

4. If I dare tow my boat in overdrive, I can say goodbye to the 4th gear planetary, as well as the rest of the transmission that will be eaten along with it. Seems like this is even happening to people who dont tow anything, for that matter. Hello $3000 new transmission.

5. The a/c compressor, if it hasnt already been replaced, is a potential grenade ready to go off. Hello new $1500 compressor.

6. Eventually, my VSC, ABS, and VSC lights are going to inform me of my new $2500 computer, if the $0.29 worth of brake fluid doesnt turn the lights off first.

7. My front brakes, if the previous owner didnt have the TSB performed, are going to ratttle my teeth and wear out every 15k miles, give or take. Hello, new $500 calipers (if I do them myself).

This is the kind of stuff I expect to read about an Explorer or Mountaineer, a Durango, an Envoy....but not a Toyota! What happened to Toyota quality? I thought I was getting a good truck, now I really dont know. I think I want my rusty, slow, but unbelieveably reliable '95 back in my driveway. Are these problems as rampant as they seem to be (at least on this forum)? Did I just buy a piece of junk? I'm not 1 payment into this and I'm thinking of jumping ship. Are Sequoias reliable? Or just relatively reliable, in a field of wretched, even more miserable SUV's?

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
My wife's '01 Sequoia SR5 4WD was purchased new and now has 65,000+ miles on it. It's been fabulous.

I put new tires on it at about 22,xxx miles (Michelin LTX M/S in P265/70R16, of course). So far, they have worn off 1/8" of tread, and so should hit the wear indicators after 120,000 miles of use. I replaced the steering rack bushings last weekend. Other than that, it has had no repairs other than routine maintenance. It has never been back to the dealership other than to buy oil filters and balance the tires.

What you read here are usually the comlaints, so what you read is not a representative sample of the whole population. I suggest bringing your maintenance up to date and then keeping it that way. Keep all the fluids clean and fresh, don't drive it like a teen-aged moron, and smile. You did good.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cracked exhaust manifolds., compressors self-destructing.....transmissions turning into shavings, $2500 computers failing, $500 worth of calipers needing updating..... and you ask me if I'm being melOdramatic? Its not like I'm writing in here to complain about a rattling overhead sunglass holder thats driving me nuts. These are big-dollar items failing on what are otherwise not-so-old vehicles. I'm simply wondering if I made a 5-digit mistake at the dealer and wanting some input from people who have had experience otherwise, or likewise for that matter.

DJ, thanks for your input. Glad yours is doing well. Hope I can check back in a year or so and report the same.:ts:

·
Registered
503 Posts
My 2001 w/ 92k miles was trouble free up until 85k. The VSC/ECU computer needed replacement, an ABS booster or something needed replacement, an airbag sensor failed, an O2 sensor failed, and the exhaust manifolds needed replacement. This was a bit of a shock, but I actually convinced Toyota to do the exhaust manifold for free and a rebate on some of the sensors since I had a large string of issues. Hopefully no more... predictions of 4 dollar per gallon gas will be painful this summer.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Never tow anything in overdrive. You can't tow in overdrive in any make or model SUV or truck as far as I know. I know a seven and a half year old toyota is not all that old but anything going on eight years old might need a few parts replaced. Most people have no problems at all and people that do have issues google their problems and find this web site SO you will find more people here with problems then people without problems because people with no problems have no reason to say anything. I have a 2005 and have had NO problems. Before my 2005 I had a 2002 with no problems and I am a VERY hard driver. Johnnnnnny

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I had an 03, then an 05, and now an 07, and I have not had one single problem. They have been great. We took the 05 to Niagara Falls in july, which is a 9 hour drive from where I live, and it drove great and is very comfortable. I wouldn't want any other SUV. Congratulations and enjoy!

·
Registered
54 Posts
You could have bought a new one for $40k-$50k and bought a whole lot of piece of mind along with it. But you snagged a mint condition '01 and saved over half the sticker price. Great deal comes with some risk.

Your Sequoia may have a few problems along the way, but a similar Expedition or Yukon would be 10x as bad and already be rattling and squeaking like my '98 Chevy weekend home depot hauler.

Stop worrying about what might happen and enjoy your new ride.

Mike

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I had an 03, then an 05, and now an 07, and I have not had one single problem. They have been great. We took the 05 to Niagara Falls in july, which is a 9 hour drive from where I live, and it drove great and is very comfortable. I wouldn't want any other SUV. Congratulations and enjoy!
I have an 2005 Sequoia and I am ready for a new one myself, just because I like to have a new truck every two to three years. I really want the Trans. and new bigger motor from the new Tundra though. So, If Toyota does not put that drive train in by the end of this year I think I might have to keep my 05 an extra year because I just can't have a brand new Sequoia and within a year have someone with one that's faster then mine. LOL By the way, what if anything has changed from 2005 to 2007 besides the Navagation System witch I would NEVER EVER get because Pioneer's Nav. system BLOWS the OEM system away in price and bells and whistles. Johnnnnny

·
Registered
327 Posts
My buddy has an '01 he got new. Had the brake rotors changed per the TSB (no cost), and the known weak A/C compressor failed a year after warranty, so he bought that.

Other than that, he's had no problems.

Z

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have 167,000 miles on my Sequoia and they have been totally problem free. Certainly one of the most reliable, trouble free vehicles I have ever driven or owned in my 62 years. I go off-road, too much, drive with vigor, haul grease kegs, etc. in my work. I cannot believe one would even ASK such a question! It has got to be, hands down, one of the finest SUV's ever assembled!! To go 160,000 miles and never have to replace a shock absorber, tie rod end, turn signal, etc. etc. incredible!!!!!
George Morrison

·
Registered
154 Posts
I bought my 06 Seqouia new and I had a few minor problem at first:
1) Battery died within 24 hours
2) VSC/ ABS sensor blew
3) Window on Driver side came off track
4) same window got stuck after dealer "fix"
5)Lower Ball joints recall

That being said my wife and I love the vehicle its roomy it has a great ride looks good and is very Driver friendly for such a big vehicle. If you go to the Big three you will be very dissappointed. Just do your maintainence religously and you will be fine dont worry. Since the initial problems we have been without incident its a well built vehicle you can tell. Enjoy your Seqouia be good to it and it will be good to you.:D

·
Registered
191 Posts
OK lets look at this reasonably - Sequoias are very reliable, they have a few bugs but nothing too bad. If all of those things happened to you, then you should win the lottery because you would be one of the luckiest guys I know.

Towing - no matter what vehicle you never tow in overdrive. The domestics have a tow button on the end of the shifter - you know what that is - the overdrive button, they figure they needed to call is something fancy. Your boat won't put that much stress on the tranny - it really isn't very heavy & is less than half the towing capacity. to be honest I tow my Seadoos (2) in overdrive unless the tranny is hunting - but generally don't tow in overdrive.

A lot of the brakes out there have been changed by now - your may hav also. There are also people with the original non upgrade with no problems - it depends on how hard you are on the brakes & if you are towing a lot of weight without trailer brakes.

I tow a 6000lb trailer & haven't had ant problems - just make sure your tranny fluid is changed as regular as the manual states.

ABS/VSC issues - are a hit & miss. The vast majority of owners never have a problem. If the code comes up - check your brake fluid & Gas cap.

I have enjoyed mine & I traet it like a truck. I am always towing, 4x4, hauling or driving it hard. I know that the other brands cannot handle what I trow at mine with how little you will ever spend on it for repairs.

I have a buddy with a 3/4 ton Dodge deisel. He has already gone trough a tranny, a turbo & waste gate and his truck is only a year old. You are already better off. And he doesn't tow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cracked exhaust manifolds., compressors self-destructing.....transmissions turning into shavings, $2500 computers failing, $500 worth of calipers needing updating..... and you ask me if I'm being melOdramatic? Its not like I'm writing in here to complain about a rattling overhead sunglass holder thats driving me nuts. These are big-dollar items failing on what are otherwise not-so-old vehicles. I'm simply wondering if I made a 5-digit mistake at the dealer and wanting some input from people who have had experience otherwise, or likewise for that matter.

DJ, thanks for your input. Glad yours is doing well. Hope I can check back in a year or so and report the same.:ts:

Simply put, the Sequoia is realiable. SOME people have problems. Tundra Solutions only represent a very small minority of owners, many of which came on here only because they had a problem and needed to conduct some research. Which translates into the majority never needing to come on here for research because they have a reliable vehicle. Oh and if I ask about a rattling sunroof get over it. Sorry that it isn't a big enough issue to discuss...but then again, you havn't had any problems but anticipate everything failing, so good luck with your "new" vehicle.

P.S. Thanks for the correction on my spelling. Do you feel bigger now?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife and I just bought a '04 2WD Sequoia last week after searching for one for awhile. Originally we started out looking for a Landcruiser (my wife's from a family that owns several LCs) but we couldn't quite stomach the price for a '00 to '05 Cruiser. The Landcruisers we looked at all tended to have high mileage as well (didn't see one without 90K+). We keep cars forever and drive them into the ground (the vehicle the Sequoia replaced was a '96 Grand Cherokee V8 4X4 with 150K) so newer and lower mileage was a necessity.

I must admit I didn't do much research into the Sequoia's reliability. My thought was "it's a Toyota which means it's reliable". I was disappointed to read the list of potential problems here (AC, brakes, VSC, etc.). I'll also admit I'm slightly disappointed with the "feel" of some of the interior plastic components. The same components on Landcruisers "feel" like they're carved from a solid block of metal, the Sequoia just "feels" cheap, flimsy. I realize it's a minor complaint but my opinion.

The other thing is, is the inconsistent build quality (surprising for a Toyota). It seems there are only two types of Sequoia's - great and reliable or lemons. I really hope we bought the first type.......

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
The other thing is, is the inconsistent build quality (surprising for a Toyota). It seems there are only two types of Sequoia's - great and reliable or lemons. I really hope we bought the first type.......
I don't agree with what you said above because I bet 80% of the people that are driveing with NO PROBLEMS at all with there Sequoia's have no reason to even look for a web site like this. So, In my opinion you will find that 15% of the people with Sequoia's with problems will Google their problem and find this web site and then post. MOST people are NOT going to go looking for this web site just to say I have had a Sequoia for many years and have no problems UNLESS you think of cars and trucks as a hobby as I do. I found this web site years ago wile trying to find out what add on's people put on there Sequoia's. But people that think of their car or truck as a TOOL to get around and have no problems we will never see on this web site. This just my opinion and how I see it and I could be wrong. ;) Johnnnnny

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No Johnnnny, I think you are spot on. Its easy to get brain damage reading car forums and looking at the posts where people complain about things that 90% of people probably wont have problems with. Its easy to overlook that and I obviously overlooked it when I came here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here's another positive post for ya! Against friends' opinions about "1st year" vehicles, I ordered my Sequoia in '01, and it's been the best vehicle we've ever owned, by far. I had the brake TSB done early on, but nothing else I can think of.

It's driven hard and tows my 6000lb. boat, too. I live in Flat Florida and have left in IN overdrive most of the time. Unless it comes out of lockup or hunts for a gear, there's no need (Sequoias even have a factory tranny cooler).

I know it's getting to the age when thing WILL go wrong or wear out, but I'm prepared for that. For now, the original six-year old battery won't even die! :tu:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't agree with what you said above because I bet 80% of the people that are driveing with NO PROBLEMS at all with there Sequoia's have no reason to even look for a web site like this.
Point taken. I just read through the pages of posts here and seemed to notice that people that had problems with their Sequoias tended to have a lot of problems with their Sequoias (making their particular Sequoias lemons). But you're right, these people found this website looking for answers so they represent a small minority. Every make and model produces a lemon now and then.

I also don't want to leave the impression that I am unhappy with our newly purchased Sequoia. We spent a lot of time looking at fullsize SUVs and decided that the Sequoia fit exactly what we were looking for. We found a low mileage, still under warranty, lease turn in for the same price as a high mileage '02 Landcruiser. With any luck we'll double the 150K we got out of our JGC. It also won't be hard for the Sequoia to be more reliable than our Jeep (3X AC compressors, 5 steering stabilizers, 4X sets of brake rotors).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts