Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backing out of my garage and just caught the corner of my buddy's bronco on my bumper :(

I was going like 3 mph and it didn't do a thing to the bronco, but bent my bumper enough to totally jack up my rear quarter panel and break my tail light! Shouldn't a bumper be able to handle 5mph and protect your truck!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Long and short of it, not any more!

These bumpers are tin foil and are "crumple zones"

Must protect the people who didn't buy a larger vehicle.... Same thing happened wehn my dad backed out of the gargae with our '98 Expedition into the '03 4runner we have. 3grand in damage to the 4runner, and a chipped taillight on the Expedition.

Tanks are no longer in existence.

Look into aftermarket bumpers and then try it again. Can't beat a South Texas OUtfitters for massiveness.

-rockstate

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have had my 2010 Tundra DC for about 3 weeks and I already put a little dimple in the back bumper. I backed up to a loading dock until I touched ( like I used to do in my 97' GMC) well as luck would have it I hit a screw head from the screws holding the lumber up, and there it was, my first dent.
The only saving grace was that I went home and got my brass bar and hammer and beat most of it out.
From the Bumpers to the skin, they are not as heavy as they used to be, But it is much faster, for the same 5.7 motor and mileage.
SScott

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had three Tundras and the rear bumpers were dinged on all. Remember those heavy duty bumpers we could get in the 70's. Uh maybe not. Telling my age now.

·
Registered
598 Posts
So are the days of 5 mph whip lash. :D

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think it probably would have fared better in a straight on fender bender than catching it on a corner. But yes, something's gotta give. To have 6000 pound pickup trucks with nearly 400 hp which seat 5 in comfort and have all the amenities of home we ask for, we give up something else otherwise we'd all be getting 8-9 mpg and complaining about poor fuel mileage even more than many of us already do.

Flimsy body panels and flimsy bumpers to save weight. That being said on my chrome-bumper trucks I had some minor straight-on low speed taps that really didn't do much of anything to it.

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
The days of the OEM 5mph bumpers are gone. You can pass the blame to the NHTSA, Consumer Reports, Gov Crash ratings (w/e that really means), the State of California, and anyone else that wears a whiplash collar for two weeks after a fender bender in effort to win a civil court case. We've become such a nanny state country with regards to ridiculous safety requirements that our cars are made totally of crumple-prone plastic and airbags. We're more concerned about accidents that happen 0.1% of the time than the accidents that happen 99.9% of the time. It's unfortunate that both types of accidents now render the vehicle a total loss due to replacement parts costs. When you wreck a quarter panel, but the car is still perfectly drivable, yet the insurance company says replacement cost is more than the vehicle is worth, you gotta admit something is wrong with that picture. Maybe if you had a stronger bumper on the car your car would still pass inspection; but then again, if you had a stronger bumper, that other car may be really messed up. It's survival of the fittest, we can't all win all the time...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts