Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Are turndowns legal in Texas

6K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  TNK 
#1 ·
I am thinking about turning my exhuast down underneath the truck right before the axel is this legal

#3 ·
Don't think so, they didn't say anything about it when I got my inspection sticker.

#4 ·
Not sure why you would want exits under the cab myself, but I know several that do have them. Might be an issue where they do actual emissions testing. I am planning on having turndowns, but at the rear bumper.

#5 ·
I highly doubt they are illegal in Texas. They dont turn down at a 90 degree angle, usualy at 45 pointing towards the rear. Ive had them on alot of different trucks in the past w/ no negative aspects.

#6 ·
On my last truck, I did the same thing. Only thing the law states is that the exhaust must be at least outside the passenger compartment. So, if it's under the bed, then it's legal because the bed isn't the passenger compartment. Here's a link to the inspection criterias: VI - Emissions And here's the exact criteria ... "[FONT=Arial,]j. The tailpipe fails to discharge exhaust from the rear or sides or top of the passenger compartment of the vehicle."[/FONT]

#7 ·
Nobody has answered the question as to why they would do it in the first place....??? Looks? Sound?

#9 ·
It gives a different sound than tips and alot think it looks better w/ no pipes hanging out in the back. And yeah, it would be cheaper.

#11 ·
It gives a different sound than tips and alot think it looks better w/ no pipes hanging out in the back. And yeah, it would be cheaper.
And judging that I can here my buddies Hemi with 40 FM turned down under bed 1/4 mile away MUCH LOUDER!

#13 ·
I have a 40 series flowmaster on my 02 dumped before the rear axle. Pros its cheaper, slightly different sound than pipes coming out the rear, don't see any pipes and less chance of having tail pipe coming loose since there is none. Cons you get a alot more drone in the cab than you would get with pipes exiting the back especially the side at which the exhaust is at. It isn't as loud as pipes exiting the back, but still is loud since I took off the resonator.

#14 ·
Well the guys at the muffler shop told me that it was legal. I turned it down right before the back axle. I used two 2 1/2 inch dynomax bullets, truck sounds good but there is some drone around 1200 rpm. But is is not enough to bother me. I went for the turn downs for the clean look.

#15 ·
Well the guys at the muffler shop told me that it was legal. I turned it down right before the back axle. I used two 2 1/2 inch dynomax bullets, truck sounds good but there is some drone around 1200 rpm. But is is not enough to bother me. I went for the turn downs for the clean look.
Did you notice any low end/throttle feel loss? Id love to hear some sound clips of it, sounds awesome! :tu:

#16 ·
If I lost anything on the low end I cant tell but I do feel like it pulls a little harder up top or maybe thats because it sounds damn good

#17 ·
It turn the bed in to a speaker the sound in the cab will be noticeably louder I had them on my old ratrod c10 Chevy 350 lowered with an old school fat black and pinstripe paint job I finely had to get the pipe extend it was killing me

WHAT WHAT

#18 ·
Just like a nice sports car...seeing the exhaust is part of the whole package if you ask me. Cheaper...leaving the system as-is = cheaper.

To each his own I guess....but I want to see them TIPS baby!

#19 ·
On my last truck, I did the same thing. Only thing the law states is that the exhaust must be at least outside the passenger compartment. So, if it's under the bed, then it's legal because the bed isn't the passenger compartment. Here's a link to the inspection criterias: VI - Emissions And here's the exact criteria ... "[FONT=Arial,]j. The tailpipe fails to discharge exhaust from the rear or sides or top of the passenger compartment of the vehicle."[/FONT]

So, you don't even need cats in TX?

#20 ·
Exhaust exit must clear passenger compartment in Texas
Why ? Cleaner look then single exit right.
Actually more of a trend,but much cheaper when your
purchasing S/S pipe by the foot and causing restrictive bends routing exit rear or dual side exits .

No brainer .....:D

#21 ·
My friend had his done like that...I wanted to do it on my old blazer but he said its only legal on trucks and not SUVs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.