Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last year I have purchased two vehicles and both have begun to slap within one month of owning them.

The first truck was a 2003 F150 with the 5.4 and approx. 100k on the engine. I purchased this well maintained vehicle and within 2 weeks it began to slap quietly. Keep in mind this truck has fresh oil and was in great shape mechanically. By the end of the second month it was slapping so bad that the noise didn't completely go away once warm anymore. I tried several type and brands of oil with no luck.

The second truck is a 2003 Tundra with the 4.7 and approx. 126k. This truck was also taken care of and in good shape. Once again, within a month it was starting to slap and is now getting worse by the day.

So, why do these trucks suddenly get piston slap shortly after I buy them? Here are some details about my driving style and habits.

I have a short 3 mile commute to and from work. I usually let the engine warm up for about a minute before putting it into gear. Once I am on the road I drive like a grandpa until it reaches operating temp. Then I drive somewhat aggressively but don't over rev the engine by any means. This routine is the same going to and from work. The ambient temperature during these times varies between 40 – 60 degrees. I sometimes run around town starting the truck several times in day. However, most days I start the truck once to go to work and once to go home.

Is my short commute destroying these engines? What am I doing wrong?

I have had several 4 and 6 cylinder engines in my previous Toyota and never had a problem. I have owned a 1997 Tacoma with the 2.7 (Best truck ever), 1998 T100 with the bullet proof 3.4 and a 1995 Tacoma with the 2.4 with no problems what so ever. My commute was the same and I actually drove them a lot harder and towed heavy loads. Maybe these newer trucks are just junk?

What should I do?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i do not belive it is you.

i belive it has to do with a few thing's, that i have heard from several source's.

1- the gas we use. the additives, are no good for engines. which causes less life, & more issue's.
anyone with a carb. still on the vehicle can atest to this.
2- they are making vehicles cheaper. as we can see on these forums, any forum.
the vehciles are not lasting long, no matter how you drive or take care of it.
inside & out.
check it out for yourself, go to any forum.

just watch the thread's. and what people are saying.

1 thing is for sure it's not just average vehicles. i see & drive many high end vehicles. the most expensive so far was a F40 ferrerri. but amlot of merc, bentleys, r. royce, jag's, the list goes on. all have issue's. imagine paying 400,000 and the vehicle is in the shop every other month.

and these cars don't have 100,000+ miles. these are brand new vehicles.

the best vehicle right now is HONDA! inside & out, and the safest. they already implamented the new safety factor's, that are to be in place in a few years. they are way ahead of the game.
regards,
gorilla

·
Registered
232 Posts
modern v-8 engines are being made with much looser tolerances and less metal. this is to minimize reciprocating mass and increase mpg ratings. this results in an increase in the gap between the piston squirts and piston walls. when the engine warms to full op temp the gap closes and there is less slop and slap.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The ford 5.4L engine will have piston slap no matter what, I have 3 of them in my fleet and all of them have done it for many years now. Make sure you check the oil daily, they burn it like no other.

The only thing that has lessened the slap is adding lucas oil stabilizer, at least for me.

As for the Toyota, every single car, truck, suv, etc from toyota I ever owned or worked on eventually will sound like a sewing machine. I thought maybe something was worn out on a tacoma about 2 years back and the customer wanted me to tear down the engine-there was nothing wrong with it and the cust agreed with me then when I told him about the "sewing machine" thing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
One big factor in the slap phenomenon is that modern designs of pistons have very short skirts, therefore they are not as 'stable' in the cylinder. Especially when the cylinder and piston are cold, and the tolerances are bigger.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,141 Posts
One big factor in the slap phenomenon is that modern designs of pistons have very short skirts, therefore they are not as 'stable' in the cylinder. Especially when the cylinder and piston are cold, and the tolerances are bigger.
Ditto!
My 04 has about 165K miles on it....some mornings when we are in the 20's it sounds like a freeking deisel.....but I think if you take it easy on it during a reasonable warm up, nothing bad will happen....at least that's how it's worked for me!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No teenagers.....Thank goodness!

I still don't understand why both of these trucks didn't show any signs of piston slap at all until several weeks after purchasing them. In both cases the weather and temps were actually colder when I first got them. I have know about these problems and actually listened for the slap and it just wasn't there. What is the deal? I must be doing something to cause it.

My brother has had several trucks and has drove the heck out of them. If you are not supposed to do it, he does it. And guess what, he has never had any engine problems with any of them.

Maybe I am just not driving them hard enough....

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Ok , now that I'm past the teenager joke, what do you use for oil? I've seen/heard a change of oil type or weight greatly affect the amount of piston slap heard in Subaru engines (notorious slappers!) I prefer Castrol GTX myself but to each his own . The Lucas oil treatments also have shown some benefits in my non scientific experiments. "Bulk" oil from the quickie lube type places is scary in my opinion, the engine oil is too critical to save a buck on. My 2 cents. Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both trucks came with Pennzoil 5w30 and I tried several different types including Motorcraft brand on the F150 and the slap only got worse by the day. I just switched to Castrol GTX 5w30 with a K&N oil filter in the Tundra and it seems to have quieted down a little.

I purchased this truck less than a 1,000 miles ago and just found out at 126k it still has the original timing belt, so its in my garage awaiting a new belt and water pump. I will know if the new oil is working once the new belt is in. It will sit for several days before it comes to life again, this should be a good test, however, I do fear the slap will only get worse.

·
Registered
245 Posts
castrol gtx 5w30 or mobil clean 5000 is what i run in mine and have never had a problem with slap in mine.

I have had customers that used 10w30 in their honda's and when we switched them back to 5w30 or 5w20 after 50-100k miles then we would notice more noise coming out of the motor.

I had one customer that had around 250k on a crx when we traded for another car we had. He ran a mix of 1qt 20w50 syntec and 2.5 qts 5w30 syntec, and when we switched it to straight 5w30 it smoked and knocked horribly also popped on the oil pressure light. Guess it was too used to a heavier oil.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i think castrol makes an oil for higher mileage engines.. saw the advert.. sounds stupid so it probably actually works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update.....
I switched to 5w30 Castrol fully synthetic oil and a K&N style oil filter. So far the slapping is still getting worse and at this rate it will not make it to 130k. The truck is also making a sort of bearing in a can sound that comes from the underside and resonates through the headers. Should I start looking for a new engine now? Has anyone checked into rebuild cost and quality on the engines?

How many, if any of these 4.7s have died from "The Slap". Sounds kind of contagious, doesn't it?

·
Registered
374 Posts
agree on the sewing machine sound. ive owned 8 toyota models from 82 to 06 and all have that slappy sound. the master tech here said that it was the injectors. they are crazy loud but never fail.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I would open valve cover and check valve clearance. I had similar issue on 2 cylinders on my truck (easy to do) and even better since you are going to do timing belt, that way you can adjust valve clearance at same time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts