Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Article On Why Ridgeline and Tundra Rate High On Consumer Reports Reliability

4K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  toykicks 
#1 ·
They claim that most Ridgeline and First Gen. Tundra owners purchase their trucks as daily drivers and for light duty work, while more domestics get purchased as hardcore work trucks. They try and let the Titan off the hook by claiming that it is purchased by a younger demographic who tend to modify and off-road their vehicles far more than Ridgeline and 1st gen. Tundra owners.

Here's some of their "stats" based on a mail survey.

PURCHASED AS DAILY DRIVER/OCCASIONAL LIGHT DUTY WORK

SILVERADO/SIERRA - 28%
RAM - 31%
F-150 - 34%
TITAN - 79%
TUNDRA - 84%
RIDGELINE - 92%

MODIFIED OR USED FOR OFF ROADING (Modify referring to performance or suspension (lifts) specifically)

RAM -27%
TITAN -25%
F-150 -19%
SILVERADO/SIERRA -17%
TUNDRA -8%
RIDGELINE -2%

Intersting point and I would expect the numbers to shift dramatically w/the 07 Tundra. Lets hope it doesn't affect the reliability.

See less See more
#5 ·
They have a 2" lift from Skyjacker.

Here's one on 33's.
Cool! Now you can also lift your Honda minivan, sedan, etc...:rolleyes:

I'm surprised. I would've figured more Big-3 trucks would be "modified" for "offroad" :)rolleyes: ) than any import, including the Titan...which I figured would be more likely used similar to most Tundras and that silly Ridgeline.

I wonder how much of their numbers are skewed by aftermarket availability? Tundras don't have much outside a small handful of manufacturers and custom parts, I assume neither do Ridgelines...but Big-3 and Nissan have a HUGE amount of aftermarket support.

-S

#7 ·
Yeah, it doesn't even look half good either. I just traded in my Tundra for a Ridgeline for a family friendly vehicle and one that you can park without worrying about your barn door opening and hitting the vehicle next to you. I don't care for the 07 Tundra.
Are you serious?! You got rid of your Tundra?! :eek:

#8 ·
I'm surprised. I would've figured more Big-3 trucks would be "modified" for "offroad" :)rolleyes: ) than any import, including the Titan...which I figured would be more likely used similar to most Tundras and that silly Ridgeline.
-S
Don't be surprised, the big 3 are "more modified for offroad." What percentages don't tell you is the sheer numbers involved. Remember that from statistics class?

#9 ·
Why are you surprised he traded in his tundra? The last couple of years of tundras "aint your grandpapys tundra" so to speak. I sold my 06 outright just because I see the quality of the vehicle has gone down from the 02 I had. Luckily I bought it as such a good price I made a 2K on it. I just don't see a big gap on the quality of any of these 1/2 tons anymore. I think they all are pretty close and mostly ment for light duty.

I know, I know some of you have pulled the bridge of london with your tundra while hauling 4 tons of lumber...off road ... in the mud ... getting 22 MPG ... up hill both ways.

For the rest of us it is pretty much just a daily driver. I have driven the honda and its every bit the truck the toyota and neither are quite what the domestic is in size and workability. I think the new tundra might compete with the big three but it will take toyota thinking more like a domestic than the toyota of old.

#11 ·
Then again,if you really need a truck,you wouldn't be buying a Ridgeline.However many people never use the cargo capacity of a truck,and for that matter,really don't need a truck.
Speaking of truck cargo capacity in traditional terms, I agree with you 100%. I used my Tundra as a daily driver and hardly used the bed but maybe once a month. Now, I have an in bed trunk that is large and lockable for storing stuff like some groceries leaving the bed for even larger loads. To me, the Ridgeline is the ideal pickup for families who don't haul alot but want the convenience of a pickup when they need it.

#12 ·
To me, the Ridgeline is the ideal pickup for families who don't haul alot but want the convenience of a pickup when they need it.
I don't need the full cargo capacity of a truck myself most of the time.However for my frequent hunting and camping trips and for hauling a quad in the back(with the tailgate closed),I need the 6-1/2' bed.The Ridgeline would be useless to me.

#13 ·
Speaking of truck cargo capacity in traditional terms, I agree with you 100%. I used my Tundra as a daily driver and hardly used the bed but maybe once a month. Now, I have an in bed trunk that is large and lockable for storing stuff like some groceries leaving the bed for even larger loads. To me, the Ridgeline is the ideal pickup for families who don't haul alot but want the convenience of a pickup when they need it.
I respect your decision to buy what fits your needs. More people should take this approach as opposed to trying to convince themselves and everyone else that the Tundra, or whatever other vehicle they like is THE BEST and everyone should agree. One word of caution about the Ridgeline; be sure to take your spare tire out of that under-bed "trunk" if you plan on hauling anything like mulch or gravel. If you get a flat you don't want to have to shovel your load out onto the road in order to access the spare.

#14 ·
I have a Tundra and plan on always having a Tundra but I don't understand why everyone is discrediting the Ridgeline's truck abilities. It can haul 1550lbs. and tow 5000lbs. The past generations of the Tacoma had the exact same capacities and everyone considers that a truck.

It's a given that it's not the ideal truck for frequent hauling with only a 5' bed but it is still a truck The Double Cab for both generations of the Tacoma only had a 5' bed (unless you get the long bed option w/ the current Tacoma). I agree with what some other people have said about it being the perfect vehicle for people who need seating capacity for 5 but also want to be able to haul big, bulky items that would not fit in an SUV.

#16 ·
Try as we did we couldn't make the Ridgeline fit us.Had to make sure before buying the Tundra only because of the great job wife's Pilot has done for us.Went from an 8' bed on a Dodge so the 6.5 length bed takes a little more "planning" when loading stuff for vacations.Saw how the 07 was gonna be more of an access-cab stretch than the double-cab is now so we jumped on the 06 while they were plentiful.Made the right choice for us, sure didn't need the 3/4 ton beast with the diesel but the guy we sold it to has horses to haul and makes full use of the grunt from the Cummins!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.