Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 tundra 4.7 4x4. Not much stock on it besides the engine
10 Posts
I had an early 2000s Land Cruiser and after some time have decided to make a change to a 1st gen Tundra. I am in talks with a private seller from the rocky mountain region to buy one with 160k. Carfax shows that it's been serviced regularly, no crashes, oil, filters, shock absorbers, struts, spark plugs etc. For whatever reason, the timing belt and water pump didn't come up in the Carfax report. Now, I know this is something that needs to be changed (confirmed with my local Toyota mech), but the truck drives really well at 160K and obviously couldn't if the belt snapped. Note: I plan to replace the timing belt/water pump the day after purchase.

I wanted a second opinion on the underneath. I think it's in pretty good condition, the exhaust looks like it might need swap. I plan to use it in the western US from Washington to New Mexico.

How's the underneath look to you guys? Anything else besides the timing belt/water pump to get repaired asap? Any other concerns? View attachment 156084
View attachment 156085
View attachment 156083
View attachment 156082
View attachment 156081
I wish my frame looked that clean lol. Looks like a good deal

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a 2003 Tundra also...but mine has 270,000 miles. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned by far. The paint is past its prime, but the reliability has been incredible. My mechanic would always say when I would take it in for routine maintenance: "This is the way they ought to make 'em." Good luck...
Mines a 2000 and I'll keep it forever. One of the best trucks I ever owned. The only major thing I had to replace was the trans. And I put an 04 trans in this time. Besides frame patches and rockers need replaced I can't complain for being in the rustbelt

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the second op. I didn't realize that there was spray on it already, but I'll definitely spray the frame with rust inhibitor like you said. I thought it was clean, but looking at that other thread, my photos are immaculate. :)
If you spray the frame try the black fluidfilm. It works great. I always do the inner rockers and the inner lips on the bedsides

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks pretty damn clean to me. It does look like someone sprayed some sort of coating on it thats flaking off which is not good. Crap that coats the frame and sticks to it usually ends up trapping moisture and can make things worse but theres not a lot of real rust on it. Go to your local auto parts store and buy some sort of rust inhibitor spray and coat the whole underside just to give you some peace of mind if you want.

If you want to know what real frame rust is, have a flip through this thread.

Undercoat is the worst thing you could put on a frame. When my customers ask me to do that I'll tell them no and talk them into fluidfilm or bedliner. At least it gets harder and doesn't hold in salt and moisture. Just as bad when people use spray foam lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts