Toyota Tundra Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had an early 2000s Land Cruiser and after some time have decided to make a change to a 1st gen Tundra. I am in talks with a private seller from the rocky mountain region to buy one with 160k. Carfax shows that it's been serviced regularly, no crashes, oil, filters, shock absorbers, struts, spark plugs etc. For whatever reason, the timing belt and water pump didn't come up in the Carfax report. Now, I know this is something that needs to be changed (confirmed with my local Toyota mech), but the truck drives really well at 160K and obviously couldn't if the belt snapped. Note: I plan to replace the timing belt/water pump the day after purchase.

I wanted a second opinion on the underneath. I think it's in pretty good condition, the exhaust looks like it might need swap. I plan to use it in the western US from Washington to New Mexico.

How's the underneath look to you guys? Anything else besides the timing belt/water pump to get repaired asap? Any other concerns? View attachment 156084
View attachment 156085
View attachment 156083
View attachment 156082
View attachment 156081
I own a 2000 Tundra. I would not buy again. I like everything about it except my trans overdrive started to rattle (known bearing flaw in 2000-2002) so I drive it without the OD. The rear brake star adjusters needed to be replaced with a different tooth count (TSB). This made a big difference in the way the truck brakes. And then there is the well known TSB on the front brake calipers: undersized and thus eventual shudder and accelerated pad and disc replacement. I've grown accustomed to driving without the OD. But the brakes are really weak. No panic stops. My Tundra is the access 4x4 which reduced the load to about 500 pounds. I installed Super Springs and that made it a comfortable ride and with heavy loads. I had to make a custom bracket for the brake proportioning valve arm to compensate for the increased bed height after the Super Springs install. All-in-all, I'd go for a 2003 or newer where these problems are fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had an early 2000s Land Cruiser and after some time have decided to make a change to a 1st gen Tundra. I am in talks with a private seller from the rocky mountain region to buy one with 160k. Carfax shows that it's been serviced regularly, no crashes, oil, filters, shock absorbers, struts, spark plugs etc. For whatever reason, the timing belt and water pump didn't come up in the Carfax report. Now, I know this is something that needs to be changed (confirmed with my local Toyota mech), but the truck drives really well at 160K and obviously couldn't if the belt snapped. Note: I plan to replace the timing belt/water pump the day after purchase.

I wanted a second opinion on the underneath. I think it's in pretty good condition, the exhaust looks like it might need swap. I plan to use it in the western US from Washington to New Mexico.

How's the underneath look to you guys? Anything else besides the timing belt/water pump to get repaired asap? Any other concerns? View attachment 156084
View attachment 156085
View attachment 156083
View attachment 156082
View attachment 156081
Greetings from Belize. Bought a truck like this and looked great inderneath but within a year was riddled with holes. Ok the roads are a bit rough here but check very carefully for rust especially around spring hanger and body mounts and suspension turrets at the front and under the truck bed.Third picture down where the body mount attaches to the frame looks like a small hole developing. Anyway plenty of posts here on what to look for. Mechanical stuff can be fixed but frames are mega bucks to fix - speaking from experience!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts