Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was wondering if any Sequoia owners are running the ASP 331340 underdrive crank pulley? Their website has it listed for a 99-02 4.7L V8 Tundra, I am not sure if it will work on my 2006??

I will call them on Monday, but would love to hear if it works on my model year as I will order one ASAP. I have had them on my last three other vehicles and they have always seemed like a great way to free up a little power.

I have read this thread, but it hasn't been updated in a while.

If someone is using this on their Sequoia, what type and model serpentine belt did you use? I prefer to go with a Goodyear Gatorback.

Looking for a few power adders with the new 33" tires coming...Probably going to do headers / muffler or catback too :cool:

Thanks!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Called ASP,

They advised I call Toyota to confirm the harmonic balancer / dampner is the same on 2005-2006 as they said they know their crank pulley works through 2005. Toyota said it was, so I ordered my underdrive crank pulley Part # ASP331340 from ASP.

ASP advised they are updating their website and will list that it fits on model years 99-06 for the 4.7L

He said it's in stock and will ship out today. :cool:

If anyone else is running one of these on their Sequoia and knows a belt manufacturers part number / Belt length etc...that would be great. In the other thread I mentioned, I think someone said that the AC pulley size is different on the Sequoia than the Tundra and a different belt was needed...I am going to have to re-read that one......

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'm interested in this as well...let us know if you have any luck with the correct belt info...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, yea ordered mine today....hopefully it will be here by the weekend. Install on these is usually pretty easy and from this post it sounds like we will need a belt that is 2180mm in length for the Sequoia unless there are any differences between model years......

Thanks to PhillySequoia for posting the belt length in the other thread. :cool:

Edit....from another post:

Sequoia has a smaller a/c pulley. Alt pulley is the same size.
Sequoia and non a/c tundra use the same belt.

and..... a good install guide and install tips here

Goodyear belt info here, the tundra uses a 4060887 belt and the Sequoia will need a smaller belt....... not sure which one as they don't post the size in millimeters on their website....might have to call an autoparts store and tell them the length is 2180mm to get the correct Goodyear belt number.

I may buy mine locally incase I need to exchange it a time or two to get the correct fit, will print the information from the Goodyear site as well to bring it along....

or, I may give Goodyear customer service a call tomorrow to see if they have a part number for a 2180mm belt.

Goodyear® Engineered Products
Customer Service:
USA: 800-869-0435

Edit, called Goodyear it is:

4060858 6PK2180 6 85.875

2180 millimeters = 85.8267717 inches

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crank pulley arrived, well packaged with lots of packing material.

Looks like a quality piece, weights about 1-1.5 lbs. It was shipped same day ($8.95) and arrived in 3 days via UPS ground... :cool:

Still need to get a belt though....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was $150.00 plus $8.95 shipping. I put a link in the first post to their site. ;)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Cool! I'm curious to see what you think once it's installed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Me too,

I have had them on other rides before, I think they work well to free up some ponies and are worth the price of admission. Just bought a Gates belt at O'Reileys about an hour ago but too lazy to do it tonight.

I am not positive I got the right belt either. I bought the Gates because none of my local autopart stores carry the Gatorbacks. :( I will get it done tomorrow morning, if I have to go get a different belt at least the store will be open and they are close.

If the belt I bought is a good fit I will post up the part number and a photo of the belt sleeve.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well,

That was easy.......Dropped skid plate 12mm socket and rachet, removed tension from stock belt with breaker bar and 14mm socket....removed old belt that had 42K miles on it. Put 22mm socket on breaker bar to remove stock crank pulley and put a cheater bar over the handle as my breaker bar was too short to rest it under the passenger frame rail itself. Bumped the engine for maybe 2 seconds and went back under the truck and removed the bolt from the crank. Old crank pulley slid right off...just grabbed it with both hands and pulled evenly.

Slid the new pulley on, no lube required and made sure the crank key tab was in the new pulley slot so it did not turn anymore. Tightened 22mm bolt hand tight and then a few blows on the breaker bar with a heavy hammer.

Routed new belt in place around all pulleys except auto tensioner, Routed the belt from the topside and then crawled underneath to get the belt over the tensioner as it provided the most access........put belt above tensioner bolt and then attached breaker bar with 14mm socket to remove all tension and slid the new belt around the tensioner pulley.

Verified that the belt was routed correctly......and Done... 25 minutes tops with a couple breaks included. :cool:

Changed my oil at the same time and that seemed to take longer, hehe :eek:

Zero to sixty seemed like it pulled harder and all the way through the power band and I didn't floor it all the way. In general, so far from my test drive seemed a lot more responsive and seems to have dropped some RPMs when cruising which may help MPG a bit..

I wanted to replace the serpentine belt anyway, I think it was a great, easy mod for $159.00 (New Pulley and shipping
) + $40.99 + tax for the Gates belt.

The Goodyear belt part number I used to cross reference was - 4060858 6PK2180 6 85.875

The Gates belt says 6PK2179 and fit perfect with plenty of room for the tensioner to adjust out if the belt stretches a bit.....Not sure if they do that at all.....

An easy mod to free up some ponies that makes a noticeable difference :tu:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update,

So far I've put about 150 miles on the new crank pulley. I have not noticed any dimming of my Daytime Running headlights during the day or night. Went for about 100 mile drive the day I installed it in the mountains and went over a couple 10,000 ft. passes. It has better power climbing the hills / mountains and is more responsive when I put my foot into it. Not a huge gain by any means, but noticeable for sure....AC is still just as cold as it was prior to the install too. :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Great writeup padron! I pan to add this to my list for sure!

·
Registered
115 Posts
hello, any update update on this? and whats the verdict, am planning to do same on my02 seq

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hello, any update update on this? and whats the verdict, am planning to do same on my02 seq
Update? It's been installed now for 1 week. Truck runs great as I stated in my previous post and I would do it again. Not a huge gain, but certainly noticeable and acceleration is better and it feels more responsive in general. Pulls harder and and has seemed to drop some RPM's when crusing at speed.

I still haven't noticed any dimming of my DRL headlights, AC is just as cold prior to the pulley swap and voltage and water temps look good and don't appear to be effected by the smaller crank pulley diameter.

It took maybe 20-25 minutes tops and was a done deal. :cool: Shipping was fast and I was able to get the correct belt on the first try :)

I'll give it a thumbs up :tu: I would say, go for it....If you have other bolt ons / mods you may see better results than me. I think I read another post that stated maybe 8-10 horsepower are freed up with the smaller pulley...so, a modest but noticeable improvement.

It may work and feel better to me after I buy some headers and a better exhaust.

I am happy with the results I noticed from putting the pulley on, I have put them on my last 3 or 4 vehicles so why not the Sequoia too :D

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update,

I have not seen any issues from installing the underdrive pulley, been on for about 6 months and almost 7000 miles... Everything works great as it did prior to the install. Power is better too....:cool:

I would do this mod again :tu:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts