Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Amsoil ATF in their 06 tundra (automatic 5 speed)? I do not see it listed for usage for the 06. I previoulsy used it in my 04 Tacoma with out having any problems.

The only tranny fluid I see as being accecptable for the 06 is the Toyota fluid.:confused:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Toyota OEM only way to go
No other choices to meet specs
Seems to do a pretty good job.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I'm almost positive you have to use Toyota WS fluid. I've been told by several transmission shops that this fluid has a lower viscosity than even some of the synthetics - mobil1 and amsoil included. You'll most likely have a problem with shifting when the trans is cold if you use mobil1 or amsoil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
First thing I did was drain alll fluids and replace with Amsoil when I got my 06DC, that was 11,816 miles ago and all is well.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I'm almost positive you have to use Toyota WS fluid. I've been told by several transmission shops that this fluid has a lower viscosity than even some of the synthetics - mobil1 and amsoil included. You'll most likely have a problem with shifting when the trans is cold if you use mobil1 or amsoil.
I have a buddy with IPT valve body and he had the trans flushed with the amsoil. No shifting problems for him, and he beats his truck HARD.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Using non recomended fluids is asking for problems, i called mobile and asked if they had a product that was WS compatable and they said No and said they were not looking to replace it either! Hard to imagine that this fluid would be going bad or thought to be bad on new trucks? as far as using what ya want i guess ya going to do what ya wanta do and after a few costly repairs which hopefully do not arise ya might think back to when ya had the B/F on upgrading to a better product that ruined a transmission. rear end, or a motor and figure why it failed!! Toyota has ability to figure out what type of product you were using and if it's not to spec i would bet they will not warranty it!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big Al1,

It is fairly simple to change tranny fluid. Locate and remove the return line from the transcooler.

Place return line into a large drain pain.

Start your engine and the tranny fluid will start to pump out into the recepticle. Have 11 quarts of tranny fluid ready and begin to pour into tranny as the old fluid is being pumped out.

If the tranny fluid is old you will see a color change when the new fluid begins to pump out( if your vehicle is new shut off the engine after the 11th quart). At this point shut off the engine and replace the return line. Drive your truck 5 or 6 miles and check the fluid level for your tranny.

This approach will remove all of the tranny fluid including fluid in the transcooler, torqueconverter, lines, ect.

If you were to just drain the tranny fluid from the drain plug on the pan, you would probably remove about three to four quarts of an 11 quart system.

Check out Amsoil's web site for a more detailed instruction.

I have done this procedure on three different vehicles and found it to be successful. Good luck:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Big Al1,

It is fairly simple to change tranny fluid. Locate and remove the return line from the transcooler.

Place return line into a large drain pain.

Start your engine and the tranny fluid will start to pump out into the recepticle. Have 11 quarts of tranny fluid ready and begin to pour into tranny as the old fluid is being pumped out.

If the tranny fluid is old you will see a color change when the new fluid begins to pump out( if your vehicle is new shut off the engine after the 11th quart). At this point shut off the engine and replace the return line. Drive your truck 5 or 6 miles and check the fluid level for your tranny.

This approach will remove all of the tranny fluid including fluid in the transcooler, torqueconverter, lines, ect.

If you were to just drain the tranny fluid from the drain plug on the pan, you would probably remove about three to four quarts of an 11 quart system.

Check out Amsoil's web site for a more detailed instruction.

I have done this procedure on three different vehicles and found it to be successful. Good luck:)
How do you add fluid to the tundra trans with the engine running?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
FYI Amsoil online application recommends WS automatic tranny fluid for 06 Tundras and from what i read they do not have a listed product that they make that is rated WS! Amsoil does list Toyota transmissions that use Type T &TIV to be ok for use with their universal synthetic ATF, but i think they do not want ya to mix products, full drain and refill with their product!

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
FYI Amsoil online application recommends WS automatic tranny fluid for 06 Tundras and from what i read they do not have a listed product that they make that is rated WS!
It's not that you couldn't re-calibrate the valvebody to work with the increased viscosity of the amsoil fluid, but more importantly about how the transmission is "clearanced". Just like an engine needing a certain viscosity of oil, transmissions are also sensitive to viscosity mainly due to all the critical tiny needle bearings and sintered bronze bushings in the transmission. With the viscosity being to high you could possibly starve some of the load bearing components with the amsoil fluid. I also would question the compatibility of the clutch plate material and the fluid. If I hear of someone going 75k with the amsoil in their stock/unmodified transmission then I'll be inclined to go with it. Otherwise, I'm sticking to WS and just changing it more often.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
First thing I did was drain alll fluids and replace with Amsoil when I got my 06DC, that was 11,816 miles ago and all is well.
I'm curious - did the shift quality and feel change at all? If so, how?

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Amsoil does list Toyota transmissions that use Type T &TIV to be ok for use with their universal synthetic ATF, but i think they do not want ya to mix products, full drain and refill with their product!
and there is the answer to everyone that thinks you can only use "Toyota" fluid, which is not even made by Toyota to begin with.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Anyone know who makes the WS fluid for Toyota?

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
What are the lowest temps you encounter where your tundra is parked?

Upon doing some more research I'm starting to discover that the Amsoil fluid might actually be a suitable replacement fluid. I already run their engine oil and think their product is superior, so I'd like to consider using it if it's not going to hurt anything.

I'm going to run some of my own viscosity tests on this fluid and compare it to the WS stuff. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Just got off phone to Toy So Cal, 1-800-331-4331 and they told me on the 05 & 06 Tundra's that use WS ATF which i was told is a synthetic ATF and it never need to be changed even in extreme conditions. so i guess that clears that up for my P brain and forgot to ask who manufactures it but i would think Toyota farms it out? and next time i call i will ask!!

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Just got off phone to Toy So Cal, 1-800-331-4331 and they told me on the 05 & 06 Tundra's that use WS ATF which i was told is a synthetic ATF and it never need to be changed even in extreme conditions. so i guess that clears that up for my P brain and forgot to ask who manufactures it but i would think Toyota farms it out? and next time i call i will ask!!
Thanks for the research!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
and there is the answer to everyone that thinks you can only use "Toyota" fluid, which is not even made by Toyota to begin with.
So is it going to remain a seceret or are we going to have to squeeeze? Ok i guess Toyota manufactures it?

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
So is it going to remain a seceret or are we going to have to squeeeze? Ok i guess Toyota manufactures it?
I am not 100% positive who supplies Toyota's fluids for the transmission. I have heard from my friend that works in the parts department says the engine oil is mobil, whether you choose regular or synthetic. I will "assume" (not positive) that mobil would also supply the trans fluid as well.

If anyone really wanted to dig deep, they could just contact Toyota directly. I personally don't have a desire to do it. If IPT transmissions recommend and use the Amsoil ATF, I trust that 150% over any other opinion. They are top notch guys.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts