Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...techs, or anyone who remembers...it's so old I'm having trouble digging up information on it, other than part numbers.

Why was the TSB necessary? What is in the black box that mounts in the left taillight socket?

The wiring harness under the driver's seat appears to provide stop, turn, reverse, marker, power and ground connections to the connector about halfway back under the bed on the left side of the frame, which used to lead to the black box in the taillight socket.

Are those black boxes known for acting funny or breaking often? Is there a more robust version to replace the one I used to have? Can I fix the one I have? No, I don't know where it is at the moment..."somewhere in the garage" will have to do...

Did Toyota ever provide a 7-pin towing connector for 2000 models?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I think they had battery drain issue (when you leave your headlights on and ignition off. Towing wire harness still used power and drained your battery). As far as 7pin connector, I think toyota started 2003 Tundra and Sequoia. So, I've rewired mine to 7pin. It was a while ago so I have no records of what I did.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it was a TSB, but it was a SSC...Special Service Campaign, 10H...once I got that information from a helpful guy at the local dealership, I got the details...it was just an electrical problem in the converter box, and that is all the taillight box was, a converter from Toyota's separate signal and stop lamps to the single combined stop/turn lamp on a trailer wiring harness. I can get those all day, any day, for cheap, from all over the web, so it looks like I'll just splice a generic kit in place of the factory box if I can find the original wiring harness & box!! Should be in the garage somewhere...and I'll make it a 7/4 combo while I'm at it...

Otherwise...I dunno, I guess I'll have to cannibalize something from a salvage yard. All I need is the pigtail.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
This is all news to me.

You mentioned year 2000. Would this affect the 2001 year model too?

My truck did not come with the towing package, but I will be installing a hitch soon. Anything I need to be concerned about???

TIA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts