Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark at Pro Gear in San Diego is selling the Auburn Pro LSD for $500.
Installed price is $950.
If you bring in your center section, he will install the LSD for $80 plus the $500 for the diff.
Tell him Phil sent you.

He said Auburn sent him a few to install as test units. He has already installed these in a few trucks including an employee from Toyota of El Cajon.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Thats a killer price to bad i live in jersey When are you gettting yours put in?

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
I am calling as soon as I find a phone!!!!!

·
Banned
444 Posts
yeh, gutz jump on that.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Mark at Pro Gear in San Diego is selling the Auburn Pro LSD for $500.
Installed price is $950.
If you bring in your center section, he will install the LSD for $80 plus the $500 for the diff.
Tell him Phil sent you.

He said Auburn sent him a few to install as test units. He has already installed these in a few trucks including an employee from Toyota of El Cajon.
Is that a good deal, concidering how much you could possibly get out of selling your "lsd"?

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you choose the $80 install are all the shimming and backlash done? Or is the shimming and backlash done when installing back to the axle housing? If this is the case any suggestions on a good DIY thread?

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
How will these aftermarket LSD's or Lockers affect the computer/vise-versa? Doesn't the comp control the rear axle?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you choose the $80 install are all the shimming and backlash done? Or is the shimming and backlash done when installing back to the axle housing? If this is the case any suggestions on a good DIY thread?
They will intsall the carrier into your center section which does include setting proper backlash. These diffs are not like the smaller Toy diffs that use large jam nuts on either side of the carrier to set bearing preload and ring gear backlash. Preload and backlash are set with shims. This is why I will be taking my center section to them. It's not worth $80 for me to press the bearing on and off, much less do it twice to get it set up properly. Don't forget to add proper LSD additive to your new gear oil.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How will these aftermarket LSD's or Lockers affect the computer/vise-versa? Doesn't the comp control the rear axle anyhow?
It shouldn't affect the ASC. ASC is activated during tire spin. It would act the same if both rear tires are spinning as it would if only one were spinning, except that it would try to affect both spinning tires. It is possible to spin both rear tires with an "open" diff. ASC deals with it the same way it would deal with both tires spinning with an LSD. ASC function is basically unaffected.

**EDIT** After mulling this over, ASC activation on ice/snow might be an issue during turns and parking lot manouvers where the inboard tire would naturally want to slip. The LSD might force the inboard tire to slip resulting in ASC applying brakes until the LSD is overpowered. That would be a good question to ask before doing the install. I'm prepared to turn off ASC in snow and ice if this occurs. **EDIT**

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
^^That would nice to see.. Some real world results. I want to see a SC'd Tundra give it hell though... Maybe I can be the first? And I do need new tires... :D

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So are you referring to VSC though... or are you talking about the ALSD...

Or are you just calling it like it is since ALSD only lets the back end step out about 2' before VSC kicks in and brings the truck back on track.
Basically what Toy is calling VSC. I don't often use a specific company's name for something. ASC is BMWs name for the same thing. I have had BMWs longer that Toyotas. Not referring to ALSD at all. Sorry for any confusion.

^^That would nice to see.. Some real world results. I want to see a SC'd Tundra give it hell though... Maybe I can be the first? And I do need new tires...
Definitely post a link to that video!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Is that a good deal, concidering how much you could possibly get out of selling your "lsd"?
That's not a trade in. Customer keeps the OE diff. Labor drops from $450 to $80. People may want them to do the entire install to be sure it is covered by Auburn's warranty.
Ok haha i read it again duh

I may go this route if toyota still refuses to fix mine

1 - 20 of 25 Posts