Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the '07 double cab Tacoma and I don't know about you guys but the factory sound was doing nothing for me! I have the 6disc changer model (non JBL).

So I started my research and started visiting some local car audio shops. I really wanted to keep the stock stereo because of the 6disc ability and the look of it too. So my first thought was speakers. First shop suggested a high-end Boston component system for the fronts, Memphis for the backs and a 4-channel amp (whopping 900.00 upgrade just for speakers!). Next shop suggested I keep the existing tweeter in the front and upgrade with Alpine 6X9's 3ways in the front and Alpine 6.5's in the back with no amp just speakers. Lot less money. The second shop also would cut some adapters for the fronts so they would fit properly.

I went with the Alpine option for now and it is a really day and night upgrade from the flimsy factory speakers! Just wanted to pass on my experience. Granted also, I'm not wanting slaming bass and super loud just even nice response.

Tapp

·
Registered
355 Posts
I actually thought the stock speakers sounded really good...infact, I still have them...you might be suprised how good they would sound with aftermarket head unit because of the increase in power to them...

if your trying to keep the head unit though, Boston makes the best

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You ought to see how flimsy and cheap these stock speakers look! They probably weigh less than a pound each. I agree Bostons are good but I just can't justify it for a car system IMHO. I'll spend more in the home where I can have proper imaging, etc but I just want something decent and full range for a vehicle. That's just me.

Tapp

·
Registered
355 Posts
they may look like crap, but I have yet to have any issues with the sound quality of them. and I couldn't justify boston's either which is why i still run the stockers...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had circuit city replace my speakers with Eclipse speakers. I wanted to also keep the stock head. Not much improvement if any. I don't know what else to do.
fred

·
Registered
1 Posts
Keep in mind that when designing audio in a vehicle, most manufacturers don't think about sound quality. Thus, when they design the audio output for the factory deck, they usually run a fairly high cutoff for the low end. So even if you replace the speakers, the factory deck is still running a high filter on the output, keeping the real sound from being heard. This is done to protect factory speakers from blowing out from too much bass.

In order to get proper sound output, you should really replace the deck and speakers together. Because any aftermarket deck will not, at the very least, have a low pass filter on the outputs, or allow you to adjust the output based on personal preference. The factory speakers are not made to handle the extension from the unfiltered bass output, and are more prone to blowing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My finding was the stock setup was very "scooped" sounding with muddy lows and no definition in the midrange. I found "talkradio" programs hard to understand because of this and music fatiguing to my ears.

The Alpine 3ways in the front definitely added a clarity in the bass and treble, with added midrange. In fact I could increase my bass control on my deck and decrease the treble with the new speakers. I am thinking about a future upgrade of the stock radio. Those new USB port decks are really cool.

Those of you who are listening to your IPOD's in the car and/or listening to MP3's; do you find the sound quality of MP3's as satisfying as regular CD's??

Tapp

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too am thinking of upgrading the stock stereo in my 07 taco. Can the audio shop make the radio controls on the steering wheel work with a new head unit and which head unit will work with the controls on the steering wheel?

Decon

·
Registered
355 Posts
I too am thinking of upgrading the stock stereo in my 07 taco. Can the audio shop make the radio controls on the steering wheel work with a new head unit and which head unit will work with the controls on the steering wheel?

Decon
some aftermarket head units have control options to keep the steering wheel controls...pioneer comes to mind off the top of my head, but other than that...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I went to circuuit city last night. They have a top eclipse 5000 series for $399. Salesman said its last year model. Price was $540. Installation free. I will look some more today. Best Buy said don't bother putting amp with standard radio in tacoma, waste of money.
fred

·
Registered
12 Posts
Those of you who are listening to your IPOD's in the car and/or listening to MP3's; do you find the sound quality of MP3's as satisfying as regular CD's??

Tapp
Depends on the quality. I have almost everything in my library ripped at 320kbps and that sounds fine to me. Some of the 220 stuff is all right too. I personally wouldn't go much lower.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's what I have upgraded so far in mine:

Switched out the stock head unit for a Pioneer AVIC-D3
Added IPOD interface

I do have stock steering wheel controls. I decided to wait until I bought the Bluetooth adapter before I bought the interface. If you replace the stock head unit with a Pioneer, most of them are compatible with the steering wheel controls. (I know the AVIC-D2 and D3 are) You just have to buy the PAC-SWI-PS interface.

My wife's 2007 Camry has the AVIC-D2 with the PAC-SWI-PS and the steering wheel controls work flawlessly.

As far as the audio quality goes, music from my IPOD sounds much better than CDs, and the stock speakers perform much better with the D-3 than they did with the stock stereo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts