Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come to replace the audio in my Crewmax. I'm looking to replace the front speakers with some Focal components, a sub under/behind the rear seats, and last but not least, an in dash nav unit.
My question at this point is, given that I'm planning on installing Focal 165 KRX2's in the front, what can I do to make sure the magnet clears all the power window gizmos, and how much room do I have to work with before I have to cut the door panel? I'd rather not cut the panel if I don't have to, but I'm not dead set against it, either.

The Focals are 6.75 in. speakers, so they should fit the existing hole with an adapter, but I've heard they have some pretty good sized magnets, and I want to make sure they will fit prior to ordering. Any ideas or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a set of focal kps in a 2008 DC Tundra. My mounting depth is 2.8". The specs on your set appear to be 3" 1/16". Mine fit fine by building my own MDF rings (search this forum there are many pics/examples), and then I used a layer or two of dense foam to get the distance exactly right between clearing the window, and avoiding the door panel. Obviously the set you are looking at will be a close fit, but I bet it would work if you have patience and a good way of adjusting distance in increments of 1/8 to 1/4 inch (like dense foam). Someone posted a pic/example yesterday that suggested that sliding the speaker BACK in the oversize 6X9 hole bought you more clearance from the window. If you are looking for plug and play with no effort, then you might pass on this set of focals, if you want superb speakers with some work I bet you'll be very pleased.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts