Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You even knock the Auto lever to the left by mistake and have the truck run in 4th vs. overdrive.

I'd almost bet that some people put the stick to the left vs. the right which makes the truck rev at 2.5 vs. 2.1 rpm.

Spot

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have always had a Manual....Until Now. So I always have my hand resting on the shift. It just seems to be natural. On some occasions I use the transmission just as I would a Manual...downshifting for braking on downgrades, hillclimbing, etc. Old habits are hard to break I guess. TacoGuy

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have always had a Manual....Until Now. So I always have my hand resting on the shift. It just seems to be natural. On some occasions I use the transmission just as I would a Manual...downshifting for braking on downgrades, hillclimbing, etc. Old habits are hard to break I guess. TacoGuy
That's why an auto has more than forward and reverse. Use it wisely my friend,;) Mike

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just watch the D vs. the 4 being lit on the speed dial thingy.

Spot

·
Registered
387 Posts
Around town I actually use "4" more than "D". My tranny hunts a lot less for the proper gear by keeping it in "4". My reasoning for doing this is because I've seen what driving around in OD can do to a transmission when used for city driving. 99% of the guys I work with don't turn the OD off in our cruisers, and after about three years the tranny's are absolutely shot. Obviously, there are other factors there as well, but all the mechanics remind us that OD off will prevent alot of this damage. The "D" on the Tacoma transmission is actually the overdrive. Overdrive is meant for long steady drives where the tranny is not constantly switching through the gears. Anyway, that's my $.02.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm glad we don't have an OD button in the Tacoma. For city driving, I just throw it in 4 and go. When I go over 45mph, it goes in D. My Jeep, for instance, is a "4 speed" - it has 3 plus OD. The shifter only has 1,2,D and an OD button on the side. It's a pain because I can't turn off OD and have it stay off permanantly. I have to turn it off every time I put the car in gear. I'd much rather it had 1,2,3,D on the shifter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
4th gear vs. D shouldnt be a problem, its more like a luxury, you almost feel like you have a stick shift when you get to know the gears right. the shifter is easy to bump over into 4th gear by mistake but its not a problem, tacomas 4th gear will go all the way untill the govener hits at 112. even more. so dont worry about hurting the tranny when at high speeds.:tu:

·
Registered
172 Posts
On my 01 Tacoma I have the 3 speed auto with the button on the shifter for OD. The problem for me is that I do allot of mountain drivin where I live and you are constantly doing 55-60 and down to 30 or less for the curves and then up to speed for 2 minutes and then you have to back off again. Driving in these mountains you can switch your OD off and on all day long every few minutes. It would drive you nuts. I also don't like the way it feels like it's stuck in second when the OD is off or the gas it sucks up. Our gas just went from $2.55 to $2.70 over night! Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all- first post here. I was looking for info on drive vs. overdrive (for older models that have both choices). I have always treated OD like 4th gear, meaning I only use it when I get above 50 or so. If that's the correct way, I don't understand why current models just have a button to turn OD off and the default is always on.

Anyway, I asked my mechanic today and he said keep it in OD all the time. I still don't agree with that and I suppose I am just looking for some feedback.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have always had a Manual....Until Now. So I always have my hand resting on the shift.
That's a bad habit, as it will cause extensive wear. It was pointed out in pretty much every vehicle's manual I've owned (all stick shifts), but I don't think it's listed in the Tacoma's manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Around town I actually use "4" more than "D". My tranny hunts a lot less for the proper gear by keeping it in "4". My reasoning for doing this is because I've seen what driving around in OD can do to a transmission when used for city driving. 99% of the guys I work with don't turn the OD off in our cruisers, and after about three years the tranny's are absolutely shot. Obviously, there are other factors there as well, but all the mechanics remind us that OD off will prevent alot of this damage. The "D" on the Tacoma transmission is actually the overdrive. Overdrive is meant for long steady drives where the tranny is not constantly switching through the gears. Anyway, that's my $.02.
I do the same thing. I use 4th for anything below 50Mph. Anything consistant above that I bump the shifter to OD. I find in OD my taco carries too much momentum, has trouble finding the right gear and is easier to control the speed in 4th (it's easier on the brakes around town too ).

In general observation testing, it seems that the OD stays on while the tranny tries to manage other gears. I'll be driving in OD up a slight incline and the tranny drops a gear to better match the engine speed with road speed. Well, it seems that it does not actually drop out of OD, but rather drops a gear while the OD gear is still engaged. After the first RPM increase I will tap the shifter from OD to 4th...well...behold a second increase in RPM. So...on the incline it dropped a gear for the first RPM increase and I tapped the shifter from OD to 4th for a second RPM increase. Theoretically, the first RPM increase "should" have been a drop of OD and when I tapped the shifter to 4th nothing should have happened. I have no idea why Toyota does this. My friend's 4Runner does the same thing and when I told him about keeping it in 4th around town he was surprised and how much less brake he used and how much more control he had.

This is only one of two things I really don't like about my taco.

I had the exact same behaviour on the Camry I used to own. It had an OD button but was default 'on' at start up. I always turned it off at start. There's nothing worse than having to tap the brakes on an entrance ramp becasue your vehicle is speeding up without touching the gas. No OD and the problem goes away.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It can't "drop" a gear and still be in the previous gear. What you are experiencing the torque converter unlocking. Unless it is constantly up/downshifting just put it in drive and go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts