Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the auto dimming mirror with compass and like most people said, it was pretty easy.

My question is, where can I find info on how to program the homelink stuff? I also thought it had a map light...mine does not.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The light is listed as a "PRNDL" light, not necessarily as a map light. It is a small amber light in the bottom front of the mirror enclosure that bathes your center panel with a soft amber light. For those of you with the center shifter/buck seats I guess it's designed to illuminate the shifter console or something, hence the PRNDL acroynym (Park, Revers, Neutral, Drive, Low gear). I have a column shift and still like the little light as it kind of gives a nice glow to things. I guess a map could be held up near the front of the mirror for reading but I would probably just click one of the standard overheads for that. Using the mirror light for map reading would probably be less strainful on the eyes at night but I'm usually pulled over to look at a map (unless the wife is with me then I just keep driving like I know where I'm going).

·
Registered
226 Posts
A map light? Who needs map lights when you can get awesome portable GPS units that take you where you need to go. I have a Garmin 2720 I got from newegg.com for $370. It has turn by turn directions with street name voice recognition. I have used it several times to get through Chicago and the Twin Cities and never had a problem finding the destination I was looking for. Save the trees and get a Garmin. You know your wife is of no use anyhow with a map in her hands.:)

·
Registered
435 Posts
I installed the auto dimming mirror with compass and like most people said, it was pretty easy.

My question is, where can I find info on how to program the homelink stuff? I also thought it had a map light...mine does not.

My rearview mirror is attached to the interior of the WINDSHIELD and not attached to the cab ceiling at the glass edge. Does that matter for installing the auto dimming mirror? I don't know what I would do with the old mirror attachment, nor do I know if there's a place to hook the autodimmer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My rearview mirror is attached to the interior of the WINDSHIELD and not attached to the cab ceiling at the glass edge. Does that matter for installing the auto dimming mirror? I don't know what I would do with the old mirror attachment, nor do I know if there's a place to hook the autodimmer.
If I understand you correctly, the new mirror uses the same mount as your current one...just one set screw and its gone and then slip the new one on.

The auto dimmer feature is built into the mirror..the new mirror comes with factory mount, little telescoping plastic to hide the wires. It is factory stuff..looks and works great! These new tundras come prewired and all the necessary wiring (which is one black plug) is in your upper console. No big deal at all. the screws are torque (sp?)..thats the only thing that might be odd.

Anyway, if you have more questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My question is, where can I find info on how to program the homelink stuff?
The Tundra owner's manual has instructions for the homelink (look up in the index under Garage Door Opener)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Does anyone have a good online source for ordering the Toyota OEM auto dimming mirror? I found a couple of sites, but they say it is 'not yet available.'

·
Registered
764 Posts
TundraMaxxer: I think they are available at tundrapartsstore.com.

dirccooley: I guess I'm old school but no matter the technology on board I always have a paper map somewhere. I own 4 GPS's right now. Two are panel-mounted avionics in my airplanes and two are portable. One of the portables is a Bluetooth Tracker Blue from Anywheremap that I use either with my PDA or Windows XP notebook (ruggedized Panasonic Toughbook touchscreen). I also have a remote Lilliput dispaly monitor I am testing for mobile use. If I bought another portable GPS it would be a Garmin 496 ($2,795) with built-in XM Weather and NOTAMS for pilots. It has a car kit with street mapping for non-aviation use. No matter the unit the first thing I do is turn off the "Bichin' Betty" voice prompting. If I wanted somebody telling me what to do next I'd bring the wifey every time.;)

"You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2" -- sign in the SR-71 pilot briefing room.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OMG... price has really gone down on this unit. I bought mine for $1100 at Best Buy 2 years ago. Excellent unit though, I'm in Real Estate and I like the wireless remote control and the ability to program multiple routes into the unit, great for showing several houses in succession.

... I have a Garmin 2720 I got from newegg.com for $370....

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts

video guide at homelink.com step by step how to video.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
SParks is the cheapest I found.

·
Registered
125 Posts
TundraMaxxer: I think they are available at tundrapartsstore.com.

dirccooley: I guess I'm old school but no matter the technology on board I always have a paper map somewhere. I own 4 GPS's right now. Two are panel-mounted avionics in my airplanes and two are portable. One of the portables is a Bluetooth Tracker Blue from Anywheremap that I use either with my PDA or Windows XP notebook (ruggedized Panasonic Toughbook touchscreen). I also have a remote Lilliput dispaly monitor I am testing for mobile use. If I bought another portable GPS it would be a Garmin 496 ($2,795) with built-in XM Weather and NOTAMS for pilots. It has a car kit with street mapping for non-aviation use. No matter the unit the first thing I do is turn off the "Bichin' Betty" voice prompting. If I wanted somebody telling me what to do next I'd bring the wifey every time.;)

"You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2" -- sign in the SR-71 pilot briefing room.
So Jliltd, you're sig says never to fly the "A" model of anything. You do realize that the 2007 Tundra is the "A" model....right? I know we're not flying it but hopefully you get my humor.:)

On topic, I installed one of these today and it really was a piece of cake. I cannot get the homelink to program but I think it is my garage remote that is the issue.

One more for you Jliltd......

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There is no such thing as an old AND bold pilot.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Oh, don't worry. I get it. I put that proverb in my sig line as a tongue-in-cheek poke at Toyota and Toyota guys like myself.

Changing the engine oil in a 5.7L Tundra is like skydiving. Never trust anybody. Pack your own chute.

So Jliltd, you're sig says never to fly the "A" model of anything. You do realize that the 2007 Tundra is the "A" model....right? I know we're not flying it but hopefully you get my humor.:)

On topic, I installed one of these today and it really was a piece of cake. I cannot get the homelink to program but I think it is my garage remote that is the issue.

One more for you Jliltd......

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There is no such thing as an old AND bold pilot.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
One thing that I overlooked was that you have to press a button on the grage door opener itself. You don't have to do it on all of them but, of course I did. No one was home when I was doing it so I had to park as close as I could to the garage door and run and jump in the truck to press the button.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts