Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on another forum and no help/solution. I'm hoping to find better help here..thanks guys.

I like to turn on my headlight when I drive, even when it's daylight for visibility/safety since my 2007 doesn't have driving light.
Anyhow, during daytime, when I turn on my headlight, the A/C, speedo, info display LED automatically dims down and I can't see very well because of the dimming. Is there an option or way that I can set it so it doesn't do this (dimming when turning headlight on) ?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Yes, it is a common compliant. There does not seem to be any fix for it. There are some settings that can be changed by a Techstream but they do not seem to do anything.:(

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, took the car into the dealer for Techstream adjustment...no go...
apparently it's only work on Limited model or something...regular model, doesn't have the photo sensor or whatever so it hardwared. Just need to find out which wire to intercept to have it not dimming at all regardless....

I am hoping some users with electrical know-how can step in...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a similar situation. While I was doing the MPG button mod, I determined that the acc. display gets a 12v signal on the orange wire when the lights are turned on. I cut the orange wire, and now my acc. display is at full brightness at all times. This includes nighttime as well, and is is rather bright, and doesn't dim at all. I figured that if it bothered me, I would install a switch on the orange wire, allowing me either option. So far, I have adapted, and I don't even notice the extra light at night.

Mike

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a similar situation. While I was doing the MPG button mod, I determined that the acc. display gets a 12v signal on the orange wire when the lights are turned on. I cut the orange wire, and now my acc. display is at full brightness at all times. This includes nighttime as well, and is is rather bright, and doesn't dim at all. I figured that if it bothered me, I would install a switch on the orange wire, allowing me either option. So far, I have adapted, and I don't even notice the extra light at night.

Mike
Mike,
can you clarify that you're cutting an orange wire from the MPG buttons plug or at the accessoy plug switch? Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mike,
can you clarify that you're cutting an orange wire from the MPG buttons plug or at the accessoy plug switch? Thanks.
The orange wire comes from the acc. meter (clock) and runs to the wiring harness for the radio. If you pull the radio (and it helps to pull the center speaker cover, it just pops out), it is possible to pull the plug from the back of the acc. meter, but it is a tight fit. If you can't get the plug out from the acc. meter, you can remove the 2 screws from the bottom of the acc. meter, and pull the meter down a little bit to access the plug, but don't drop those screws. Once the harness has been pulled, I would double check with a volt meter that it is the orange wire that gets the 12v signal when the lights are turned on.

Mike

P.S. This wire has NOTHING to do with the light levels on the Radio/HVAC controls. Those are still hard to see during the day.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts

Mike
Cool!!! You're the first one with a real answer!! Points sent!!!:tu::tu:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cool!!! You're the first one with a real answer!! Points sent!!!:tu::tu:
I noticed a similar talk going on at TT.net. I don't have posting privileges over there, so I hope you catch this and pass it on.

The orange wire is located at the acc. meter (clock). It doesn't show up on the wiring diagrams you guys are looking at. If you pull the plug off the back of the acc. meter, you'll notice there is alot more than the 5 wires showing on the diagram. What they all go to, I have no idea. The TX wire (yellow) that comes from the combo meter changes to purple by the time it hits the acc. meter. You can cut this if you want, and it will effect your display, but not the way you want it to. This wire brings info (MPG/Temp) from the combo meter to the acc. meter. Cut it, and all you will have is a clock, no info.

The orange wire might be easier to access by just pulling the radio. You'll notice a wiring harness that leaves the radio and goes to the back of the acc. meter. It contains the orange wire. I already had the acc. meter pulled, so it was easy enough to test wires and cut the orange wire at the acc. meter.

Mike

P.S. The info buttons have nothing to do with the illumination of the acc. meter

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
I noticed a similar talk going on at TT.net. I don't have posting privileges over there, so I hope you catch this and pass it on.

The orange wire is located at the acc. meter (clock). It doesn't show up on the wiring diagrams you guys are looking at. If you pull the plug off the back of the acc. meter, you'll notice there is alot more than the 5 wires showing on the diagram. What they all go to, I have no idea. The TX wire (yellow) that comes from the combo meter changes to purple by the time it hits the acc. meter. You can cut this if you want, and it will effect your display, but not the way you want it to. This wire brings info (MPG/Temp) from the combo meter to the acc. meter. Cut it, and all you will have is a clock, no info.

The orange wire might be easier to access by just pulling the radio. You'll notice a wiring harness that leaves the radio and goes to the back of the acc. meter. It contains the orange wire. I already had the acc. meter pulled, so it was easy enough to test wires and cut the orange wire at the acc. meter.

Mike

P.S. The info buttons have nothing to do with the illumination of the acc. meter
Thanks Mike.
I pasted a copy of your post into that thread.:tu:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts