Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone look into, thought about, or actually mod power folding two mirrors so that they automatically fold when you put into park, or turn the key off?

·
Registered
130 Posts
The newer model tundras have this option. Tow mirrors with the power fold option for limited and platinum models. (Maybe limited only? Probably both)

I'm pretty sure at least 1 member on here has already done the swap..

I believe they already had power folding mirrors and swapped them for the power folding mirrors! I don't think they had to do any other modifications.

Personally.. My truck would need the power folding switch & the mirrors.. $$

EDIT: I just realized what you meant... Maybe a Landcuiser or Lexus mirror could be dissected and modified for a Tundra mirror?? I've seen several Lexus mirrors automatically fold when going into park

Seems like a lot of work!!!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
smack's the one who started this whole deal with teh power fold mirrors, he's already got the mirrors, he's asking if they can be programmed to go pull themselves in when parked...

smack, i dunno. but that would be nice.

mercedes does it when u hit the lock button, then "open" when u hit unlock. that would be nice IMO.

EDIT i just noticed the red print haha never mind my first section sorry...

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
you would think it would just be a plug and play deal if you already had the tow mirrors. I'd be interested to see if this could be done.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plug and play what?

RE:
mercedes does it when u hit the lock button, then "open" when u hit unlock. that would be nice IMO.
What happens when the doors autolock at 20 mph (or whatever mph it is)? There would have to be an over-ride.

Seems tying it into the putting into park would be the best, and you'd need a manual over-ride in case you needed to back out with them still in.

Seems a bit simple - need to have a circuit that ties into the live line in the folding switch that gets juice when it goes into park. But my two colleges courses in electrical engineering were too little and too long ago.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Should be a simple mod. Just need to find out what signal the mirrors need to fold out, then to fold in. I'm betting a simple relay pair similar to wiring in power windows would do the trick.

·
Registered
375 Posts
ive thought about takin apart my tow mirrors and takin on this task cause i keep gettin mixed answers that there are power foldin tow mirrors available from the 2010 models but then again i get the answer that says no they are not available and its a misprint on the website.

but.... i dont really want to take apart my tow mirrors now that the whole housing has been painted gloss black, they dont look like they can come apart, ill have to find ford or chevy tow mirrors that auto fold and extend to do a retro fit of the mechanics, and if they brake i need to buy new ones.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Power folding tow mirrors are absolutely available on 2010's. My 2010 Limited has them. But I want them to automatically fold in when I park.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Plug and play what?

RE:

What happens when the doors autolock at 20 mph (or whatever mph it is)? There would have to be an over-ride.

Seems tying it into the putting into park would be the best, and you'd need a manual over-ride in case you needed to back out with them still in.

Seems a bit simple - need to have a circuit that ties into the live line in the folding switch that gets juice when it goes into park. But my two colleges courses in electrical engineering were too little and too long ago.
wasnt clear. didnt mean the unlock button inside...(who uses that anyway? haha) what i meant was the keyless entry...so when you set the alarm/lock the doors via remote the mirrors move in...when you hit unlock/disarm the alarm the mirrors move out. just like the cars (GM and lots of others) that have memory seats....and the remotes are programmed for each user so remote 1 unlocks the car and moves the seats, mirrors, radio station presets, and auto AC to memory 1, etc...(dad's 2000 chrysler 300M was the first car i saw do taht and it was cool. theres a HUGE size difference between my parents and i would swap their remotes on their keychains and it was funny watching my dad try to get in when the seat was all up under the dash and steering wheel all telescoped out and down haha)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts