Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone here ihave an auto start installed on a manual trans?

I was told by the dealer it was not a good idea to do so.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have and man i love it, But make sure its not in gear. If you have the e-brake on it just jumps and won't start, but if the e-brake is not on it will drive down the road and whoever is in its way AKA(you). lol just be careful

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I can't believe any business would install an auto start on a vehicle that does not have a trans switch that indicates other than reverse for the backup lights. In todays lawsuit happy enviroment the individual owner, as well as the installer would prob lose everything they had if a vehicle ran away due to an autostart. Such an occurance would not be considered an accident, just negligence.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I wouldnt recommend it except if you park on level ground, or someplace where its not going to roll and hit something in case the P-brake doesnt hold.

One place I went to wont install a alarm period, and thats even w/o the remote start. I've been interested in installing a remote start as well, but I want to find a way to lock it out if the transmission is anywhere besides neutral. Then theres the slope that the truck is usually parked on at home, theres a spot thats flat, but its a clear run down the road. Its just not worth the risk. What I'd love to find it is a way to lock the drivetrain somehow that would eliminate the risk of roll completely. I have a few ideas, but until the weather behaves I'm not spending too much time looking or working around on the truck.

I've seen rigs with a braking system installed on the rear ends or transfer, but that would seem pretty pricey to set up. In some ways I wish I had bought a auto, but with everyone complaining about their autos shifting like crap, I'm glad I went with the 6spd stick.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have never looked at the trans (reverse) switch on my Tacoma, but lots of vehicles with manuals have switches that indicate to the ECM/BCM what gear the trans is in,for emission control and whatever other reasons. My flatbed diesel indicates all 6 forward speeds + R and N to the computer for the fuel mapping for the high pressure common rail injection, and also for torque reduction management. A vehicle like this would be as safe as an automatic with a remote start, as long as parking brake functions as designed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I can't believe any business would install an auto start on a vehicle that does not have a trans switch that indicates other than reverse for the backup lights. In todays lawsuit happy enviroment the individual owner, as well as the installer would prob lose everything they had if a vehicle ran away due to an autostart. Such an occurance would not be considered an accident, just negligence.
Well the shop would do mine but i know some poeple, so it was so lol. Just be very careful

·
Registered
15 Posts
How could it be done on a manual? On my 07 the clutch has to be depressed all the way to the floor or the starter will not engage?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The switch would have to be bypassed for the system to function. Most vehicles when the power leaves the ign switch it next flows through either the neutral safety (automatic) switch or the clutch safety (man trans) switch, and in some cases a neutral switch is used in manual trans also.

·
Registered
103 Posts
How could it be done on a manual? On my 07 the clutch has to be depressed all the way to the floor or the starter will not engage?
Yea they put a switch in that bypasses the clutch, but i have a switch that can turn it back on, case i need to leave it at the dealer.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had on in my 99 taco with manual trans. I installed it myself and it was easy to do. there are safeguards built into the system that will not alow it to start while in gear. I use the ultra start remote starter. it cost about 60 bucks.

This system requires you to set the system while you are in the vehicle with the doors closed and truck running. You press the botton to set the system remove key from ignition(truck still running) open door, close door(door sensors) use key pad to shut off truck. yes the e brake needs to be set or it will not work and yes it needs to be out of gear. then it knows the truck is out of gear and the system will start you truck when you press the botton. If you or some one happens to open the door to the truck when the system was active it will disable it because of the posibility the shifter got put into gear with out your knowledge.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
That is the correct way to do it on a manual trans, prob is most will just buy a simpler to install, less expensive automatic trans version and just add the clutch switch overide. That increases the chance of forgetting to place trans in N. In 1st or R the vehicle will prob roll along at about 10MPH on fast idle and prob 5MPH if already warmed up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts